View Poll Results: Fave ST film and why?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Motion Picture

2 4.88%
  • The Wrath of Khan

16 39.02%
  • The Search for Spock

1 2.44%
  • The Voyage Home

2 4.88%
  • The Final Frontier

0 0%
  • The Undiscovered Country

6 14.63%
  • Generations

1 2.44%
  • First Contact

10 24.39%
  • Insurrection

1 2.44%
  • Nemesis

2 4.88%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favourite ST film and why

I - I was going to vote for TFF or Nemesis...and then I realized that everyone here would get in a circle and poke with sticks and make fun until I cried. So I'm going to suck in my gut and say, "Yes, I'm proud to be a faceless drone in the Army of Conformity" and post my vote for that all-time mass populist favorite, Insurrection. There. Now I'm a happy member of the collective. What - ? Oh, hell, here come the sticks...

Seriously, TWoK and TUC pretty much come in neck and neck for my money - Nick Meyer had a wonderful insight and sense of what the series, past and present, stood for, and he was never afraid to take the characters' growth in age and obstinance and make it work for the story rather than against it. I guess the other reason is that, for me, TWoK and TUC are James Kirk's stories: on both occasions, he starts out with a serious personal attitude problem - although understandable, considering the man he is and what he's gone through - and, as a result of his and the ship's adventures, finds a place of fulfillment and peace for himself. Character arc drama at its best.

First Contact wasn't bad, but the Borg Queen really diluted the horror of the Collective and the utterly alien nature of the machine mentality. I'd been saying to my Crew for years that the Borg don't have a culture, they have a program; the BQ put an end to that, in many ways.

Other than that, they've all got their charms, to one degree or another. But nothing, for me, is ever going to beat "Khhaaannn!" or the Enterprise firing that tailpipe-seeking torpedo at the climax of TUC. Just wonderful...

Give me the uncut version of TMP any day but then I am one of the odd people that tends to find better Trek in the odd movies then in the even up until we hit the TNG stuff...

Regards,
    CKV.

First Contact, because, as said someone else here before, it has it all.
    And I even like the borg queen, though the concept deny what was known about the borg collective before.
    Njxt
    "Be nice, I'm new to a lot of things"

I know I am going to be labeled a blasphemer of all that is holy in the eyes of the Great Bird, and his followers, and then I will be poked, prodded, hung, drawn and quartered, beheaded...and BURNED AT THE STAKE for heresy....but....(sigh) here goes.

First of all, let me start by saying that at first NEMESIS became my ALL TIME favorite Trek film. But then, I realized that to compare the Next Gen movies to the classic films is to compare apples and oranges.

I must now say that NEMESIS is my alltime fave of the TNG films.
    For the classics...it is Undiscovered Country with The Wrath of Khan coming in for a photo finish second.

I have given little essays on the differences of production values before between the classic and TNG films. To keep the long short....the Classic films look more like big screen films because of the amount of time between the end of TOS and the release of TMP. Visual effects had advanced tenfold. Bigger budgets could be afforded. Sets could look more convincing. Acting could be taken to new levels.

The TNG films (Generations through Insurrection) disappointed me with their attempts at big screen events. This was hampered by several factors.
    1. The series (TNG and DS9) were using motion picture quality visual effects anyway. Currently, it is a blurred line between what can be done on the small and/or big screens.

2. The first three stories were written by series writers...thus, they still came across as overblown episodes. Each of the first three TNG films may have had one or two slightly "big-screen-esqe" moments, but otherwise, were just episodes that could have been done on the shows.

NEMESIS resoundingly looked and felt like a big screen epic. The visual effects were top notch...the acting (especially by Tom Hardy as Shinzon) was awesome. The story was written by a big screen writer (John Logan) and directed by a big screen director (Stuart Baird). And in the end, it came off looking like a big screen film. Where most of the zealous Great Bird lot would blast a movie like NEMESIS for NOT looking like a typical Trek film, I applaud it! I get sick of seeing the typical Trek film over and over.

Ok...enough on that...lemme do it this way.
    My fave trek films in order are.

Classics:
    1. The Undiscovered Country
    2. The Wrath of Khan
    3. The Search for Spock
    4. The Motion Picture (especially the DVD version)
    5. The Voyage Home
    6. The Final Frontier

TNG
    1. NEMESIS
    2. First Contact
    3. Generations
    4. Insurrection

Well...that's my treatise on that. LOL!

I await the judgment of the masses for my heresy, blasphemy, and downright naughtiness to the DOGMA of Trek.

.......but....please......... (plaintive) ...be gentle?

Respectfully, and unashamedly,
    General Chang
    "So the Enterprise is on her maiden voyage, eh? Now that is one well endowed lady. Ah'd like to get mah hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the bit o' engineerin' parlance." -Scotty, STAR TREK, 2009

The Wrath of Kahn. It established the franchise. Without its success there may well have been no franchise. Besides that it's a great movie, with action, character development, and heart. A very close second for me is The Undiscovered Country, followed by First Contact, and Voyage Home.
    tmutant

Founder of the Evil Gamemasters Support Group. No, Really.

Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan!!! Still the best story, the Best idea of them all. ST:II represented not only great continuity on the part of the creators of star trek but it had everything an epic tale needs great spacebattles, suspense and a heroic sacrifice at the end. Nemisis was in my opinion a cheap flimsy copy of this great classic. Altough Nemesis was very pridictable and boring save for the space battle at the end. However I still think ST: V is the worst one of all. As for the second best trek movie I think First Contact deserves that honor.
    "Target all your firepower on the nearest Federation starship!" Yoda, Episode II

I don't care much about ST movies but anyway here are my two fav:

1) Insurection is my favorite movie, I liked the story and it's implications and almost everything in it. i suppose I didn't care much for the downsides that almost everybody focused on.

2) Undiscovered Country. I suppose I like stories where the ideals of the federation are challenged.
    Hoping You'll understand all of this

One - Good, but had problems.
    Two - ...yeah, whatever...
    Three - It was ok.
    Four - ...yeah, whatever...
    Five - Simply Bad.
    Six - Good.
    Seven - I enjoyed it quite a bit.
    Eight - ...yeah, whatever...
    Nine - Good, but had problems
    Ten - It's dead, Jim.
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

"You know this roleplaying thing is awfully silly, let's just roll the dice." - overheard during a D&D 3E game.

First Nicholas Meyer who has proven he is a master Trek Director saying that it is true.

Star Trek 2: Wrath of Khan
    The best Trek Movie. It has proven its longevity.
    It had the best Villian in a Trek movie, Khan Noonien Singh. This was the one and only time they brought in a singular villian from the series into a movie (Races don't count here). They have never ever been able to match a Villian in Trek as well as he except General Chang in Star Trek 6. Hmmm another Nicholas Meyer Trek movie.
    They keep wanting to match the Khan and Kirk hate that was in 2 and alot of Trek films with the TNG cast have failed. Simple. They need to bring in a villian with a history that hates the crew and would be a great Khan like villian.
    One word comes to my mind and many Trek fans I know...

LORE
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

Why?

Action
    Suspense
    Moby Dick
    An enraged Picard
    Borg
    More Borg
    Even more Borg
    TimeTravel

Close Second is The Voyge Home.
    TimeTravel
    Humor

Talking

I just realized that Galaxy Quest is not on the list. Hey guys I thought all the Trek films
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.