Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [SCOOP!] Activision sues Viacom for letting the Star Trek franchise stagnate

Ok this reminds me of when Triumph The Insult Comic Dog was at the premiere or whatever of SW Attack of the Clones and there was a crowd of dorks gathered around...

Triumph went:

"Ok you guys ready for some trivia? Here's the first question: in what substance was Han Solo frozen in?"

the crowd went "carbonite"

Triumph goes "no no I'm sorry, very sorry. The correct answer is 'who gives a f***'"

Arrow

Originally posted by Snake_Plissken

Now regarding Enterprise I don't understand why some people are so upset.
    Not upset. Just disappointed.

Ok, the NX-01 looks like the Akira... so what? The Enterprise-D had the same general shape as the old Enterprise, why couldn't the Akira be based on the NX-01 ???
    Because we were hoping the the ship built before the Connie would be a predecessor design of the Daedalus class starship (the earlier saucer-and-hull design, only the saucer is spherical). In fact, to be honest with you, it's either that or the delta design similar to the current space shuttle/stealth bomber B2.

Phase-pistols: they're not technically phasers so that's fine.
    Technically, should have been lasers.

Transporters: when was it mentionned ON SCREEN when the device was invented?? Ok, just for the sake of argument let's say that some TOS or TNG ep contained a line of dialogue saying that transporters were invented (I dunno, say...) in 2210. So what? Maybe we're talking about another type of transporter technology, maybe the line was referring to PERSONAL transporters, or whatever.
    Feh. I don't mind the transporter, but it should be in the early developmental stage: trying to transport sentient beings should be a high-risk stunt, and should have a limited working capacity.

My point is you can EASILY skip a lot of the 'inconsistencies' with explanations that are so simple that 5th graders could come up with them. The Ferengi: did the NX-01's crew actually saw one? No- so that figures. The Borg: I dunno, sue me... maybe the records were destroyed later by the Borg themsleves. See, what I mean?
    I don't care if the crew seen a Ferengi or the earliest records of Borg existence have somehow disappeared or did not make any connection later in the future, except until AFTER Picard & Co. return to their timeline. The fact that we have seen them appearing on ENT episode that is set before Kirk & Co. is utterly ridiculous. It only serve to attract the new audience. I mean it is the very reason why the first ENT episode featured the first meeting with a Klingon. They stuck with familiarity, as with those previous items mentioned, even some on the verge of technological development (phase pistol = pre-phaser).

I mean why use Ferengis, when you can use Tellarites? Why a modern "Akiraprise" ship design when you can use the ball-and-hull design? If this is to be a prequel, then make it a prequel.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

I just always wondered, where does the laser reference come from. IIRC, only the Sidearms in the Cage are referred to as lasers, not the cannon, which seems to not use the same effects, and, in fact, uses the effects of the later phasers, and IIRC, as well, the term phaser was created because lasers did not behave like the artillery piece they used (as a matter of fact, I don't even recall anything on the show actually behaving like a laser). Don't you sometimes use colloquialisms? Even Data used contractions from time to time .

Otherwise, I see (and have there been Tellarites seen up to now on Enterprise?).

Small point, but the vast majority of the cage IS canon, because it was spliced into another episode - the one where Spick is on trial ( I forget the name so sue me - No wait - Activision is about - don't! )

With regards to the Ferengi - yes several crew did see them and talk to them and interact with them.

With regards to the Borg - there is a GREAT BIG wreck of a borg sphere STILL in the Antarctic - yes the Borg may have taken some of it, but that little shuttle wasn't exactly big enough to carry a Borg sphere inside it without us noticing. Yes theoretically there may have been no more bodies, but i find it hard to beleive all evidence and computer archives dissapeared. Anyway it still makes no sense because didn't the Enterprise blow that sphere up?
    Ta Muchly

When I said cannon, I meant a big gun, not the opposite of apocryphal.

Oops

Well with regards to the Cage, the large beam, which was directed from the ships laser banks was a pretty powerful weapon, and a fairly large artiliery device. According to the episode it should have created a crater. I think it used alot of artistic liscence, not least in that it was noisy! They basically just changed the wording so people didn't go 'that isn't a laser, a laser would do this....'

And to answer your last question, yes we have seen one tellarite on the show.
    Ta Muchly

Cool

Originally posted by Ensign Arrgh

When I said cannon, I meant a big gun, not the opposite of apocryphal.
    Yes, a few of us here know the difference between CANON (one N -- an acceptable set of information and/or rules) and CANNON (two N's -- a big artillery weapon).

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Arrow

The laser cannon in "The Cage" episode is an accepted fact, since that portion of the episode have been repeated in the regular TOS series episode, "The Menagerie" (where Mr. Spock went to trial for violating General Order 7, for the simple reason of bringing a disabled Pike to Talos).

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Phase CANNON are CANON, yes.

BTW, the energy weapon used in The Cage was never referred to as a laser, it was a "projector" to "transfer the ship's power." The pistol was only ever referred to as a laser in the first pilot, never during its appearances in Where No Man Has Gone Before or TOS Season 1...