Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LotR IRC Game: Players Wanted!

Thumbs up LotR IRC Game: Players Wanted!

Hey gang,

I'm hankering to start up an online Lord of the Rings RPG game via IRC. I hope I can generate enough interest!

The skinny:
    *The campaign is set during the Fourth Age about 60 odd years after the War of the Ring. There'll be a good mix of adventures with lots of evil baddie slaying action, political intrigue, character-driven scenes, and good old-fashioned mystery! I like variety. Variety good.

The fat:
    *Weeknight or weekend sessions, preferably Friday or Saturday nights from 7 to 10 PM (that way, we can still go out for pints afterwards! )
    *I'm looking for 3 to 6 players.
    *Any free peoples cultures allowed (except Elves, they must be Silvan).
    *Any starting order allowed, but I would prefer only one Magician.
    *No expert Middle-earth knowledge necessary! Come one come all! Since the game is set in the Fourth Age, there won't be an emphasis on nasssty fusssy canonseses. But, of course, I will strive to make it as Tolkienesque as I can!

If you have any other questions, comments or queries, please post away. I'd love to start as soon as possible. Plus, it'll give me an excuse to buy Fell Beasts and Wondrous Magic, which I've been avoiding!

Cheers, and I hope to hear from thousands of you! OK, maybe a few will do.

Steve
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

I am definitely interested. Put me down for a spot. Been itching to get the fantasy gaming on.

zak@ltcmdrmatt.com if you need my email.

Any other takers? I've got two folks interested so far, but I'd like a few more! It'll be fun fun fun in the lands of Middle-earth! At least until our Daddy takes the T-Bird away ...

OK, I'm now officially an old man, making Beach Boys cracks.

Cheers,

Steve
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

I am very interested. I sent you a private message to your mailbox, and you can also contact me by emailing turenity@hotmail.com and I can tell you about my credentials and playing experience.
    Thanks Steven!

I'd be very interested as well. I have been a gamer for well over 15 years now, however, I have never used the IRC medium. How does that work?

Need anything special?
    Last edited by Phantom; 07-08-2003 at 11:07 PM.

My Credentials:

Have been playing Dungeons and Dragons for nearly 2 years. In case it bothers you at all, I will be upfront that I am only 15 years old. I have been playing CODA Trek since it came out last year, and have experience running and playing IRC fantasy/Sci Fi games.

Games I play:
    LOTR
    ST
    DnD
    D20 Modern

I am inexperienced, but still definitely interested.

Hey folks,

I will provide some info tonight about IRC games and how they work, and more specific details about the LotR campaign. I won't be home tonight until about 9 or 10 PM EST (long work day and then going to my sister's for her birthday pah-tay), but look for more news then!

Cheers,

Steve

Hey gang,

Sorry but I'll have to post details tomorrow evening. Just got back from pah-tay. Very intoxicated. Me no makey de sensey.

Where's a General Chang concert when you need one.

Anyhoot, details will follow tomorrow. I swear by Elbereth! Or one of those other Valar types with the conical helms.

Cheers,

Steve

Valar types with the conical helms? What the heck was I drinking?

Anyhoot, I'll offer some quick info about IRC games and their advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages:

1) Real time. The games are real time just as if you were sitting at a table with the other players.

2) File transfers. I can (almost) instantly transer any files the players need to them. Things like maps, pictures, handouts of notes and whatnot.

3) Easy software to use to play. Once you install the IRC client software, it's pretty much "open, connect to chatrrom, and forget" kind of ware. Unless you want to use any really funky commands and options. But to play the game, you don't even need to know special commands, you can use the dragdown menus.

To indicate character actions during the game you simply type away like you would on a message board, but brevity is important.

4) Lots of people can play without too much fuss on the GM's part. I can open private windows with each player to keep things quiet from other players, or to keep them from seeing character actions they shouldn't. In this way, it's more accomodating than a face-to-face game.

Disadvantages:

1) Not face-to-face. Can't help this one. The only real drawback is that you can't see the expressions on other players faces when they act in character. You can simulate this with various smilies and such, but it's not the same.

2) Slower than table play. Inevitably, IRC games are a bit slower than face-to-face games. What you's get done in 3 hours at the table you can expect to get done in 4 or more hours via IRC. It's just the nature of the medium.

If anyone needs more info about IRC software, check out this site.

http://www.mirc.com/index.html

mIRC is one of the best IRC chat programs available. I've been using it for years and it rocks, IMHO.

For those interested in playing, please email me with a character outline. Nothing fancy needed, just a basic idea of what type of character your interested in. Then I can work out what sort of group we'll have.

Cheers,

Steve

Wink We need your email address!

Sounds great Steven. We need your email address though! Unless I'm missing something...

He sent me an email about the game, did you receive one Alathriel?

Question

No, I didn't receive one. Hmm.

Whoops! email me at:

steven_a_cook{at}yahoo.com

I hope I don't get 8,000 spams now.

Sorry folks, been insanely busy the last two days.

Alathriel, you shall receive a message tomorrow morning. I got your PMs, no worries there!

Mighty Cthulhu, I haven't forgotten about you, either!

For those who've listed them, credentials and such don't mean much to me. If you wanna play and have fun, that's about all I care about!

Cheers,

Steve

*Messages sent to Alathriel and Mighty Cthulhu!*

Lt. Cmdr Matt: Did you send me a character outline? I hope I didn't miss it in my inbox!

Cheers,

Steve

I should note that those who get me their outlines first have first crack at the character types. I'd like to avoid duplicate orders and races (if possible), so it's first come first serve!

Ideally I'd like to meet up in a chatroom next Friday or Saturday evening around 7 or 8 PM. Then, we can go over the characters in the group and get some practice at the IRC format for the game. If you don't have IRC software, I suggest you take a look at the link I posted above and download mIRC. I'll offer my help to anyone who needs it!

Which day do you guys prefer? I'd like to play Fridays or Saturdays every second week, and we really should have a warm up meeting before we get into the sessions.

Cheers,

Steve