Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ulairi

Whoa, it just hit me... Martin? I wasn't into LotR RPG right from the get-go, but bloke will have a long-lasting impression on my memory for a long while to come.

I'm going to stay off this thread... the poor grammar hurts my eyes! Just joking.

Kong,

I still think that at some point the word Ulairi could come into play. Really, with the products thus far, not a great deal of space has been devoted to the Nazgul in general. It is possible that in a sourcebook or suppliment in the future could really go into depth on the Ringwraiths and use the call-names that are found in the CCG.

The license is the same, but it doesn't mean the games are.

There are things I like about the RPG and other things I wish would be changed. The same can be said for the CCG. But, really its too early into the life of the game to determine may or may not actually making it into the line.

I'm sure that you and others have made a number of house rules to establish your individual campaign vision. Thats one of the long known benefits for playing an RPG. The ability to change what you don't like and to run the game as you see fit.

The lack or exclusion of words is just not that big of a deal. I was and always will be more concerned over issues that exist in the actual game system.

Or problems with accuracy in the setting.

and i coudl care less about what the peopel at rpg.net think so your repeated efforts to rattle me aren't very succesful. i have made no secret of my feelings towards the way decipher do business; feelings born of experience and knowledge.
    bloke -

You've never really answered the simple question I've asked you time and again, though, and I think if I could understand your goal I might stay clear of your neverending, incoherent grudge match against some fairly decent people.

Why do you bother? What do you hope to achieve? What, aside from displaying your pathological hatred for Decipher and their game, and exercising your badly-spelled inarticulate rants about it do you hope to accomplish? Positive change? An apology from Decipher? What?

You're continually rude to Doug, who didn't write the game, didn't edit it, and doesn't write for it. Why he lets you post here is a decision beyond my ability to fathom. The main designer of the game, Steve Long, doesn't work at Decipher any more. Neither do many of those involved with the design and production of the RPG, yet you continue to harp on decisions you have no idea about, and licensing arrangements you are even less aware of.

Why do you come back to site after site whenever the LotR RPG is mentioned, even after being banned repeatedly, just to vent your bile once more? I've seen people offer to buy your copy from you to shut your complaints.

Any non-obsessive person would have long-ago walked away from the game and never looked back. Yet you still come slinking back under new aliases again and again. You gain no allies, no converts, nothing. Why bother?

Why continue trolling, which is exactly what you're doing?

What do you gain from this? What enjoyment could you possibly take from being such a pointless stalker?

Though I don't care for his tactics, I have to say I agree with his point, as I think I understand it. I have voiced similar views in the past, I think. If Dec only has the rights to the FOTR, TTT and RotK and The Hobbit and that is it, then won't they come to a point where they will run out of road idea wise?

As to the argument presented here, I m not sure what the point in repeatedly going over a proposed name for a creature that long ago forgot said name is.

Originally posted by Phantom
    Though I don't care for his tactics, I have to say I agree with his point, as I think I understand it. I have voiced similar views in the past, I think. If Dec only has the rights to the FOTR, TTT and RotK and The Hobbit and that is it, then won't they come to a point where they will run out of road idea wise?
    FB&WM had descriptions for creatures and items outside Tolkien's works.

I am in the playtest circle for upcoming products, and though I can't describe what I've read and worked on, I can tell you that there is plenty from outside the canon being introduced for the game.

On another thread, vgunn notes that the press release claims that there are 50 new spells coming for the Loremaster/Magician book.

Sourcebooks for Moria, Helm's Deep, Isengard, and Rohan have been announced. Don't you think that these will have more new material in them?

Even though MERP apparently took liberties with what they could cover, they still invented plenty to fill the gaps of what Tolkien didn't bother describing. Decipher will likely be equally inventive when it comes to filling their sourcebooks (though with more attention paid towards the licensed intellectual property).

Middle-earth is a huge place. The game line is less than a year old. It has been admittedly slow, but there is a lot of stuff in the pipeline, and a lot of things to write about. Trust me in this.

And though I do not know for certain if it is the case, a factor which might contribute to the release schedule is the reviews/approval process, which has slowed many licensed games down in the past. Don't know if it's the case here, and Decipher sure shouldn't say so either way, but if I had to guess about why things are taking as much time as they are, I would point a finger at the Tolkien Estate and New Line Cinemas.

Originally posted by Jason Durall
    1) FB&WM had descriptions for creatures and items outside Tolkien's works.

2) Sourcebooks for Moria, Helm's Deep, Isengard, and Rohan have been announced. Don't you think that these will have more new material in them?

3) Even though MERP apparently took liberties with what they could cover, they still invented plenty to fill the gaps of what Tolkien didn't bother describing. Decipher will likely be equally inventive when it comes to filling their sourcebooks (though with more attention paid towards the licensed intellectual property).

1) Didn't notice. I will have to look more closely when next I get the chance.

2) That is my most sincere wish, yes. And I look forward to the Rohan: Home of the Horse Lords.

3) Again this is my hope, but from what I understand from the agreement with TE this isn't the case. However, I know very little about contract law in general, and the agreement in specific so I hope I have misunderstood things.

Please don't take what I have said too critically, I want this franchise to continue as much as anyone.

>Though I don't care for his tactics, I have to say I agree with his point, as I think I understand it. I have voiced similar views in the past, I think. If Dec only has the rights to the FOTR, TTT and RotK and The Hobbit and that is it, then won't they come to a point where they will run out of road idea wise?

More to the point, if the license does allow for the use of the Silmarillion then why aren;t they using it? IF the license doesn't allow for the S then how come they are allowed to use its content. This isn't jsut about one word, its about the us of material from a source apparently outside of the license.

>As to the argument presented here, I m not sure what the point in repeatedly going over a proposed name for a creature that long ago forgot said name is.

because it isn't just about the Ulairi per se, it is about the use of S material. I would think that given TE's harsh reputation they would come down very hard on anyone breaching their copyright in this way - otherwise what is the point? It doesnt matter how small that breach may be.

>I might stay clear of your neverending, incoherent grudge match against some fairly decent people.

then don't read it.

>You're continually rude to Doug, who didn't write the game, didn't edit it, and doesn't write for it.

im well aware of that and never claimed otherwise. please dont tell me im being rude when i havent been. i can show you rude behaviour if you'd like, and i suspect you do since you continually post these stupid questions designed to provoke.

>Why he lets you post here is a decision beyond my ability to fathom.

then dont worry about it since it is none of your concern.

>The main designer of the game, Steve Long, doesn't work at Decipher any more.

your point?

>Neither do many of those involved with the design and production of the RPG, yet you continue to harp on decisions you have no idea about, and licensing arrangements you are even less aware of.

what decisions would those be? Because someone no longer works for a company is no limit to me discussin thir work on a game i own. its not a very good excuse to make. someone leaving the ship doesnt stop us from saying they have mde mistakes nor does it excuse those mistakes - mistkes you have never been able to justify in place of your attacks on me. i know the license, it has been brought up on boards before, D are not allowed to use the Silmarillion - hence the thread. if you had paid attention you woudl have realised this and not posted ignorant comments about me instead.

>I've seen people offer to buy your copy from you to shut your complaints.

no you havent. you saw people saying they wer going to buy the game, but not from me.

>Why continue trolling, which is exactly what you're doing?

and what do you think this is ?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jason Durall
    [B]FB&WM had descriptions for creatures and items outside Tolkien's works.

we are talking about things within tolkin's work, since Middle Earth is his world. I am not sure of the wisdom of turning it into something else possibly in lieu of availability to his work.

>I am in theplaytest circle for upcoming products, and though I can't describe what I've read and worked on, I can tell you that there is plenty from outside the canon being introduced for the game.

and that is preferrabel to stuff in canon. after all i could buy any number of tolkienesue frpg's if i wanted non-canonical middl earth settings.

>Sourcebooks for Moria, Helm's Deep, Isengard, and Rohan have been announced. Don't you think that these will have more new material in them?

the limit still remains the same; anything pertinent to those settings outside of the license is not going to be included (or will it). that is not an ideal situation, and that is the point that was made.

>Even though MERP apparently took liberties with what they could cover, they still invented plenty to fill the gaps of what Tolkien didn't bother describing. Decipher will likely be equally inventive when it comes to filling their sourcebooks (though with more attention paid towards the licensed intellectual property).

expanding the information (and making it clear that it is such) isnt a problem, making stuff up in lieu of established canon is.

>And though I do not know for certain if it is the case, a factor which might contribute to the release schedule is the reviews/approval process, which has slowed many licensed games down in the past. Don't know if it's the case here, and Decipher sure shouldn't say so either way, but if I had to guess about why things are taking as much time as they are, I would point a finger at the Tolkien Estate and New Line Cinemas.

while thats true i think people have been shown more disappointment with quality rather than lateness.

Originally posted by kong
    More to the point, if the license does allow for the use of the Silmarillion then why aren;t they using it? IF the license doesn't allow for the S then how come they are allowed to use its content. This isn't jsut about one word, its about the us of material from a source apparently outside of the license.

because it isn't just about the Ulairi per se, it is about the use of S material. I would think that given TE's harsh reputation they would come down very hard on anyone breaching their copyright in this way - otherwise what is the point? It doesnt matter how small that breach may be.
    And Doug has answered you repeatedly about the scope of the license, but you imply that he's either lying, uninformed, or unwilling to talk about it.

The game also used the term "tharni" and later retracted it because it was outside the scope. Apparently it slipped by the license review process, and was later caught. This is likely the case with this term.

Do you think they have access to stuff from The Silmarillion and just don't want to tell anyone?

Again, what is your point here? What point are you trying to make?

Originally posted by kong

>Why continue trolling, which is exactly what you're doing?

and what do you think this is ?
    Asking you to contribute meaningfully to a message forum, or to provide a point to your embittered rants is trolling? That is certainly a new definition of the term.

Why do you come here?

What do you want from Decipher, or any of the folk on this board?

You say you don't care what the people of rpg.net think of you, yet you go back again and again, despite being banned. Why?

And in case you're wondering, I will continue to question your motives and call you on your trollish behavior as long as you frequent communities I enjoy being a part of, communities you have been disciplined in, warned to behave in, and banned repeatedly from.

So, I will throw it back at you. If you don't like the criticism I level at your incoherent, badly-spelled, vitriolic and misguided stalking of Decipher and a RPG I enjoy, then don't read it.

And if any moderators are reading this, I firmly encourage them to ban martin. These are not public forums, and participation is voluntary and a privilege. He has demonstrated time and again his unwillingness to behave civily, or to provide any meaningful discussion other than level his tired and pointless criticisms, towards no specific end. He has stated that he does not feel that the game is playable, nor does he seem particulary interested in purchasing further LotR products. Why exactly does he come here, then, if not to be a troll?
    Last edited by Jason Durall; 07-07-2003 at 10:52 AM.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kong
    [B]
    Originally posted by Jason Durall
    we are talking about things within tolkin's work, since Middle Earth is his world. I am not sure of the wisdom of turning it into something else possibly in lieu of availability to his work.
    Well, if you are not sure, then it must be a bad idea.

and that is preferrabel to stuff in canon. after all i could buy any number of tolkienesue frpg's if i wanted non-canonical middl earth settings.
    Perhaps you should do so. Midnight is very nice, from what I hear. You might find it "preferrabel."

the limit still remains the same; anything pertinent to those settings outside of the license is not going to be included (or will it). that is not an ideal situation, and that is the point that was made.
    So this is the point of all your rants? That it "is not an ideal situation"? Your insight is amazing.

expanding the information (and making it clear that it is such) isnt a problem, making stuff up in lieu of established canon is.
    A problem for who? You?

Somehow, I think the rest of us will endure.

While your support is greatly appreciated, Jason, I wouldn't waste your breath. Martin has been given numerous chances to mend his behavior on multiple message boards and shows no sign of even the slightest change. The more you argue with him, the more determined he becomes. Trust me, though, the situation will be handled.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.