Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FotR movie vs. book

First of all I'm a big fan of the films, but have had a few issues with bits here and there.

Nobody can ever persuade me that Aragorn bitch-slapping a whole bunch of ringwraiths at weathertop does anything but turn the RWs into comical sidekick characters. Every time they show up, they get their arses handed to them on a plate, often by opponents they should realy be able to eat for breakfast. But never mind, most people don't seem to notice, so I suppose it's not a major problem, but weathertop irritated me.

In TTT I was annoyed at the length of the ARwen interlude, but some of you here have made some very valid points as to why this was necessery in the film, and you've changed my mind. Fair enough, the Arwen/Aragorn/Elrond relationship did need establishing more firmly and that was a good way to do it. Likewise with faramir, although the ringwraith getting smacked down by a single arrow was daft.

However whatever little niggles I might have here and there, PJ won me over permanently with his portrayal of one character - Golum. That was some of the best character development I have ever seen in a film, and is just all the more amazing that it was a CG character.

Simon Hibbs

Originally posted by simon_hibbs
    Nobody can ever persuade me that Aragorn bitch-slapping a whole bunch of ringwraiths at weathertop does anything but turn the RWs into comical sidekick characters. Every time they show up, they get their arses handed to them on a plate, often by opponents they should realy be able to eat for breakfast. But never mind, most people don't seem to notice, so I suppose it's not a major problem, but weathertop irritated me.
    Would these be the same Ringwraiths that:

a) Farmer Maggot set his dog on?
    b) Were asking for the Shire in Gondor? (despite that the Witch-king used to rule Angmar, a land very close to the Shire)

I dunno - they didn't come across as comical sidekicks to me, but weren't perhaps as scary as they should have been.

I wasn't sad at all at the two movies, since I already knew PJ was going to change a bunch of things.

BUT...the same complaint about the Ringwraiths...

Jason, let me try to humbly answer your questions:

1 - I do not think they were driven away by the dogs...they were simply looking for the hobbits and ignored the dogs (although I do not remember this part in the books).

2 - The Shire, in the time when Angmar was the Cold Evil Kingdom from the North, wasn't know to anyone, except a few rangers. The Shire (and the Hobbits as well) were always a mystery, merely a legend to many...in that age, of course.

My problem is...the Ringwraiths were the book's most terrifying foes. Aragorn (in the movies) should not run away from them! Why didn't him finish them off?

In the book, the merely passing of the ringwraiths (even in their fell-beasts - hopefully wichtking is not on this board) was enough to scare the souls out of the bodies of the men. I understand Arwen not fearing them, but...the rest...I don't know, maybe it's because I like the RW a lot.

Cheers,

Helegond
    Last edited by Helegond; 07-24-2003 at 10:36 AM.
    I am the breeze
    the bringer of rest and ease
    I am the wind
    the forgiver of those who've sinned
    I am the storm
    I blow the devil's horn
    I am the fire
    the source of lust and desire
    I am the sun
    the joining has begun
    I am your fate
    the guardian at the gate
    I am death and <b>I claim your final breath!</b>

Originally posted by Helegond
    1 - I do not think they were driven away by the dogs...they were simply looking for the hobbits and ignored the dogs (although I do not remember this part in the books).
    Farmer Maggot, when asked by the Ringwraiths about Baggins, gave them no answers and said something to the effect that his dogs chased them off.

2 - The Shire, in the time when Angmar was the Cold Evil Kingdom from the North, wasn't know to anyone, except a few rangers. The Shire (and the Hobbits as well) were always a mystery, merely a legend to many...in that age, of course.
    True, but having them look as far off as Gondor (south of Dol Guldur) when the Shire, Gollum, and all of the events concerning the Ring's recovery were in the north, sort of makes them look inept, in my eyes at least. They traded freely in Bree and were known there, and even the Eorlingas/Rohir knew of them from their time back North, before settling Rohan.

Your opinion obviously varies in this, but considering the vast distances, it seems almost like asking about Vancouver in Panama.

My problem is...the Ringwraiths were the book's most terrifying foes. Aragorn (in the movies) should not run away from them! Why didn't him finish them off?
    Perhaps because he had four frightened (and one very wounded) Hobbits to take care of, and had no idea how many Nazgul were around, or what other forces they might have brought.

If he had stayed and fought, he might have died, and thus failed the mission of keeping the Ring safe, and bringing it to Rivendell.

In the book, the merely passing of the ringwraiths (even in their fell-beasts - hopefully wichtking is not on this board) was enough to scare the souls out of the bodies of the men. I understand Arwen not fearing them, but...the rest...I don't know, maybe it's because I like the RW a lot.
    On the other hand, they're not so invulnerable that Legolas isn't able to take down a hell-hawk mounted Nazgul in flight with a single arrow shot, as he did while they were nearing the Falls of Rauros.

Wait, your question doesn't really make sense... they are the most terrifiying foes, so why didn't they die?

If I recall, the Nazgul drew off almost of their own will, relying on Frodo to succumb to the power of the Morgul Blade. But Hobbits are made of sterner stuff, and Frodo held to life steadily. When they found he had not yet fallen and had nearly reached Rivendell, they attacked; but were too late.

I'm nearly sure that the Nazgul could have slain Aragorn if they really had wanted to, but they didn't feel like exerting their strength at that moment.

Scare the souls out of the bodies of men? They could really freak people out (take, for example, in Return of the King when they arrive, chasing Faramir), but that after they had revealed themselves.

They didn't scare the souls out of the Gaffer or Farmer Maggot; but if they had flown back to the Shire on their Fell Beasts, I'm sure they could have.

To me, the Ringwraiths were done very well in the movie. It's hard to ask for a more accurate depiction of them! But of course, everything is open to debate and varied opinion.

P.S. Does anyone know if there are rules in the game to account for the Nazgul's dislike of fire? Thanks!

I don't recall any. But, most legends of undead creatures do say that they are afraid of (can be destroyed by) fire. Then again most creatures fear fire. Even Man

Originally posted by Phantom
    I don't recall any. But, most legends of undead creatures do say that they are afraid of (can be destroyed by) fire. Then again most creatures fear fire. Even Man
    True... true...

I would probably make an Intimidate test, and add a high bonus from Wielding An Object Target Has Cause To Fear. Whoa, I just answered me own question.