Thread: The Great Goblin NPC write-up

Cool The Great Goblin NPC write-up

Here's my first try at the Great Goblin from The Hobbit. I didn't calculate the amount of advancements he'd have yet, I just went through and carefully picked what I thought he should be like.

The Great Goblin, Lord of Goblin Town

' "Murderers and elf-friends!" the Great Goblin shouted. "Slash them! Beat them! Bite them! Gnash them! Take them away to dark holes full of snakes, and never let them see the light again!" ' -The Hobbit

Race: Orc (Mountain-Breed)
    Racial Abilities: Armour (tough skin, 1), Curse of Daylight, Natural Weapon (claws, 1 point)

Attributes: Bearing 11 (+2), Nimbleness 8 (+1), Perception 9 (+1), Strength 12 (+3), Vitality 10 (+2), Wits 6 (+0)
    Reactions: Stamina +5, Swiftness +2, Willpower +2, Wisdom +3

Orders: Warrior, Barbarian
    Elite Orders: Captain
    Order Abilities: Champion, Preferred Weapon (Scimitar), Battle-Hardened, Air of Command

Skills: Appraise (Weapons) +2, Armed Combat: Blades (Scimitar) +9, Armed Combat: Axes (Great Axe) +4, Armed Combat: Whips (Whip) +3, Climb +2, Healing (Treat Wounds) +2, Inquire (Interrogate) +6, Insight +3, Inspire +2, Intimidate (Fear, Torture) +8, Jump +2, Language: Orkish (dialect) +6, Language: Westron +4, Lore: Race (Orcs, Elves, Dwarves) +5, Lore: History (War of the Dwarves and Orcs, Nirnaeth Arnoediad) +3, Lore: Realm (Misty Mountains) +4, Observe (Smell, Spot) +4, Ranged Combat: Bows (Longbow) +6, Ride (Wolf) +6, Run +3, Siegecraft (Unit Leadership) +5, Stealth (Sneak) +4, Survival (Mountains) +4, Track (Scent) +3, Unarmed Combat: (Brawling) +3, Weather-Sense +2

Edges: Command 3 (Goblins of Goblin Gate), Fell-Handed 2 (Elves, Dwarves), Hoard 3, Keen-nosed, Night-Eyed 2, Rank 3 (Chieftain of many Goblins), Stern, Warrior’s Heart, Wary
    Flaws: Battle-Fury, Grasping, Proud
    Health: 14
    Courage: 4
    Renown: 15

All criticisms and comments are welcome! I read and reread the passages pertaining to the Great Goblin and his orcs several times and tried to get the best picture of him that I could. Has anyone else tried this guy yet? I'd be interested in comparing ideas. Thanks!
    Last edited by Alathriel; 08-30-2003 at 10:18 AM.

I like it! This guy is one bad boy.

One thing: maybe he should have Rank 3 or 4? I think he was referred to as the Goblin King a couple times, I'll check on that. And he was quite important.

Also, about wolves: I wonder what the Ride test would be to use one? Right now he will roll an average of 14 (Bearing +2, Ride +3, Wolf specialty +2, average roll +7), meaning he normally won't successfully make a Challenging test on a wolf. Maybe he should have a little more Ride?

Other than that, looks great.

Cool

Yeah, some more ride couldn't hurt. I'm not sure how many goblins he ruled over, but considering that so many orcs went to the Battle of Five armies in retaliation of his death (as well as seeking treasure), I should probly give him Rank 4. I'm also gonna drop his Hoard to 1
    Thanks Ben!

Nice changes! And I read the criticism on the other board, that was insightful for the most part as well (though Hoard 2 or 3 is fine with me).

BTW... do you have any guess at the advancements? Assuming you built him that way and didn't apply stats (which you may have). Also, is there anything in Fell Beasts about making someone like the Goblin Chief, that I should know about?

Thanks for doing this!

I didn't follow any specifics from the Fell Beasts book, though I did look at Orc Captains and Mountain Breed Orcs as a guideline. To be honest I would imagine his advancements to be 35+, though now that I think about it I don't want to go through the actual painstaking effort to measure his advancements heh. As it is, he serves my purposes just fine without having to know his advancements. Though if you would like to use him and do his advancements, his Attributes begin as they are now, and his first order would be Barbarian. I have modified him again based on the suggestions made.

Originally posted by Alathriel
    Yeah, some more ride couldn't hurt. I'm not sure how many goblins he ruled over, but considering that so many orcs went to the Battle of Five armies in retaliation of his death (as well as seeking treasure), I should probly give him Rank 4. I'm also gonna drop his Hoard to 1
    Thanks Ben!
    Just my two cents:
    If I recall correctly the Orcs in the Battle of Five armies where lead by the chieftain of Mount Gundabad. That would give Bolg, Azog or whatever chieftain they had a higher rank than the chief of Goblin-town. I think the professor even says (in the Hobbit) Gundabad was their capital.
    I would give him Rank 3. (And perhaps even Fealty as well?)

About Hoard...I know the opinions are personal and differ a lot, but I would give him some more. It includes entire Goblin-town with all its armories, smithies, halls etc.

About de Debate skill that came up on Decipher's board, you might want to change it into 'Debate (Cracking heads)+2' :-)

Another Flaw you might want to consider is Greedy, after all he was one big, fat monster.

Originally posted by Meneltin

Another Flaw you might want to consider is Greedy, after all he was one big, fat monster.
    That would be Grasping (sorry, just had to say that!).

He could certainly have that Flaw. At first I wondered if maybe Orcs would have Grasping as a Racial Ability; but on second thought, some Orcs wouldn't have it, they would be mature enough () to realize that bickering over booty would get in the way of orders.