Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ST:TNG-"Conspiracy" question

ST:TNG-"Conspiracy" question

what became of that distress call that the parasites sent out? and was there ever closure to this first season episode?

Kind of.Norah Satie ("The Drumhead") said that she helped uncover the conspiracy.And I think it was alluded to before "Conspiracy" in "Coming of Age".Dexter Remmick was on board the Enterprise grilling the crew because Starfleet brass was investigating a conspiracy,if I'm not mistaken.

But the alien distress call was never followed up on.Unless it was in some Voyager ep that I can't remember.Seems like a great hook for some Trek roleplaying, though.
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf

There is no closure to the distress call as far as I'm aware.
    Kim Quintin

The use of unnecessary force has been authorized.

None that I am aware of either, and I am a Voyager buff.

I concur with the others: there was, to the best of my recollection of any of the five series' episodes, never a sequel/follow-up to this hook, despite what the dramatic possibilites might have been. As far as role-playing opportunities go, the sky's the limit; back in the stone-knives-bear-skins FASATrek days, I had a two-part episode where the parasites invaded the players' ship - then, after they were defeated there, the Crew found out that some of them had taken off for Angosia III, where they buddied up with some of the disaffected super-soldier veterans from the Tarsian Wars. The situation was further complicated when the Crew found out that the mother creature had housed itself in the Angosian President's nine-year old daughter. Ah, the good old days...

This could've been a great hook for a possible movie

But will Rick Berman see that hook? That remains to be seen.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Originally posted by REG
    But will Rick Berman see that hook? That remains to be seen.
    I honestly hope he doesn't. Do you really want to see "Star Trek Alien"? I am sure this is what would happen.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

Yeah; from the Ferengi trader who brought these things into Federation space: "It was a bad call, Jean-Luc - it was a bad call..."

The story was followed up in a Star Trek The Next Generation comic book (the third annual by DC Comics, if I recall correctly), and is also one of the subplots in the Star Trek Deep Space Nine "relaunch" novels.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/star-trek/c...section-3.html

03 Nov 92 The broken moon
    Geordi is asked by the Imperatrix of the Onglaatu, to pay a
    visit to his moon-sister, Kastren, to determine why she is
    behaving so erratically. Geordi discovers an infestation of the
    same parasites that tried to take over Starfleet and the
    Federation ("Conspiracy").
    (Michael Jan Friedman; Brandon Peterson, Pablo Marcos

Originally posted by Ergi
    I honestly hope he doesn't. Do you really want to see "Star Trek Alien"? I am sure this is what would happen.
    how about... Star Trek: 28 Light Years

Originally posted by Caretaker
    and is also one of the subplots in the Star Trek Deep Space Nine "relaunch" novels.
    Yeah, I'm very curious to how they handle it in the books.

I hven't quite made it to the most recent DS9 "relaunch" novels... but it is my understanding that the Trill are fighting with the little critters, a Starfleet captain is inhabited by one of the ugly things, as is a certain high-ranking Bajoran official whose name begins with an s.

It appears as though the Conspiracy Parasites and the Trill Symbionts have a history and a long standing enmity. They may even be related.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

There's one story in the anthology The Lives of Dax that describes first contact between the Trill and the parasites.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1