Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: [CODA] Modfied BOP for the Romulans

Originally posted by Tobian
    The Romulan ship in Minefield does NOT have Warp drive, or to be specifically accurate, it does not travel at warp in that episode. However, annoyingly (following the trend in Enterprise) it does look more advanced than the TOS ship!
    what about the cloaking device?

Yes, in that epsiode the ship did have a form of cloaking device. The Enterprise perfomed a minor alteration to their sensors and were able to detect the ship, and the cloaked minefield arround the planet. This seems sound, since it gives a linear progression to their cloaking technology. From the implication Vulcan ships of this era would most likelly be able to detect the cloaked vessels, since T'pol is always mocking their primative sensors (being likened to a Vulcans toy in one episode) and it was she who refined the sensors (I think). However that is supposition.
    Ta Muchly

Smile thanks tobian

with that in mind... the Romulans had cloak technology before Balance of Terror? Cause i've always thought that Balance of terror establishes that the BOP was the first to have that techonlogy.

True, but like this is the first contradiction in trek! I don't think this was a true cloaking device, allong the same lines as the TOS Bird of prey. The USS Enterprise would easily have been able to detect this. But hey, it's just yet another inconsistiency in Enterprise, allong with the Akiraprise, First contact 40 years early with the klingons, the use of phase pistols, first contact with the Ferengi 200 years early, Ditto Borg... Transporters, the list goes on
    Ta Muchly

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy
    The dialogue in "Balance of Terror" can be taken to mean that the cloak was of an improved type. As for the looks of starships in Enterprise, I'm not too disappointed, I know some people who would have been disappointed if the Romulans didn't have the coolest design yet. Though they could have used the Bird of Prey from TOS, but they decided on a new design. Hopefully, the next time we see the Romulans, they may indeed have the Bird of Prey, I'd like to see them give it a "big-budget" make-over like they did for the Klingon battle cruiser. Or make a smaller precursor, maybe call it a Warbird or War Eagle, or War Hawk. Who knows?
    In "The Minefield" I never saw the Romulans warp, only cloak, and evidently the minefield had been there for quite a while and had a slightly less sophisticated cloak than the Romulan ships, which they couldn't detect, IRC. Maybe I'll get the tape out and watch it again.
    The Phase Pistols don't bother me too much, I just figure that Starfleet went to lasers because they went to war with the Romulans in a few years and lasers were more powerful and less expensive/easier to produce than Phase pistols. And don't forget the phase pistol is not as powerful or versatile as the much smaller phaser-1 from TOS.
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!", annonymous American Marine, WWI

"Gravity is a harsh mistress....", The Tick

I have to admit i like the new look for the BOP

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy
    And here is the War Eagle-class heavy cruiser.
    Enjoy.

Romulan War Eagle

Origin: Romulan Star Empire
    Class and Type: War Eagle-class heavy cruiser
    Commissioning Date: 2267
    Lead Engineer: Anton Spletstoser

Hull Data:
    Structure: 25
    Size/Decks: 5/7
    Length: 150m / Height: 29m / Beam: 250m
    Complement: 315

Propulsion Data
    Warp System: RWC-1, Warp 3/4/5 (B)
    Impulse System: RIB-1, .5c (AA)

Operational Data
    Atmosphere Capable: No
    Cargo Units: 50
    Operations System: Class 3 (D)
    Life Support: Class 3 (D)
    Sensor Systems: Class 3 +3/+2/+1/0/0 (D)
    Separation System: No
    Shuttlebays: 1 aft
    Shuttlecraft: 5 size worth
    Tractor Beams: 1 aft
    Transporters: 2 personnel, 2 Cargo, 2 Emergency

Tactical Data
    Disrupters: RPFD-2 (X3, C)
    Penetration: 3/3/3/0/0
    Plasma Torpedo Launchers: RPT-3 (C)
    Plasma Penetration: 5/4/3/2/1
    Deflector Shield: PFF-2a
    Protection/Threshold: 13/3

Miscellaneous Data
    Maneuver Modifiers: +1 C, +1 H, +1 T
    Traits:

Background:
    This is the pinnacle of Romulan starship design prior to the technology exchange with the Klingon Empire. It incorporates improved warp technology and weapon systems. In terms of firepower, it outguns the Constitution-class heavy cruisers at all but the most extreme ranges. That and its cloak give it a marked tactical advantage, especially in the hands of a skilled commander. The new sensors, weapons, and warp core (an entirely Romulan design and unknown to the Federation) will come as a nasty surprise to any Starfleet captains who wish to violate the Neutral Zone.
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!", annonymous American Marine, WWI

"Gravity is a harsh mistress....", The Tick

Originally posted by Tomalak
    what do you know about the universe as to be infinite or not
    Accepted theories etc etc. I suggest reading many good physics books and books about the origin of the universe.

On a side note, the Law of Conservation of Energy is why quantum singularities that power the Romulan Warbirds do not have infinite power output (If it did, the Romulans would be invincible, and my suspension of disbelief for Trek would be gone forever)
    Whatchu talkin 'bout Willis?

If the Romulans had infinite power, then they'd be infinitelly powerful! Which they are not

In so far as Startrek uses 'rule bending' to allow for FTL travel and such, allot of what they wrote was based heavilly on real day science, especially in TNG, as they had extensive technical research Gurus.

NB: Just to be sure I am not mad, I was being sarcastic!
    Ta Muchly

I believe the way it was described was that the QSD is a "NEAR" limitless power source. Meaning a Warbird doesn't need to go to base to re fuel, like a Federation Starship does. Like comparing a nuclear ship to a non nuke-ship.

My understanding anyway.