Thread: [FASA] Strider Incident Question

[FASA] Strider Incident Question

Can anyone tell me anything about the USS Strider that appeared in the FASA adventure, "The Strider Incident"? What class of ship was it and am I right in thinking that the adventure included deckplans for the ship? Thanks.

The class of starship that was the U.S.S. Strider was known as a Ranger-class Scout, absolutely no similarity to the Ranger-class we've seen in LUG and CODA products.

It does have deck plans though they are rather simple in many ways but quite usable.

Regards,
    CKV.

I disagree. The Strider deckplans are useless. Like almost all FASA decplans, they were drawn by someone with absolutely no training in draughting, and it shows badly. There is no way the three deck portrayed can fit into the ship, and there is no rhyme or reason to the layout.

I've been tinkering (well, Okay I was tinkering a couple of years ago and never finished) with deckpland for the Strider - here's my basic design. To fit three decks into the ship's hull, you need to put two full decks in the centre and ring them with a perimeter deck offset between the two.

http://www.coldnorth.com/owen/misc/strider.gif

Owen, wow! I do like your work.

I still think if you tweek the nacells the Ranger-class looks more from the TNG era than MOV era. By the way, the shuttle bay I thought that would have been a deflector dish (?).
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

I like it, too, but the colours are a little bit flashy.

I really want to know what other goodies you are hiding in the inaccessible areas of your site.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

The colours are just the working files - the images are screengrabs from the unfinished CAD drawings.

There aren't many inaccessible areas - most of the stuff in the misc folder is specifically uploaded.

"I still think if you tweek the nacells the Ranger-class looks more from the TNG era than MOV era. By the way, the shuttle bay I thought that would have been a deflector dish (?)."

Well, Trek ships with the saucer-and-nacelles design typically don't have a blue-glowey deflector. Besides, a shuttlebay is specified in the design and shown in the original (wretched) plans, and that's really the only place to put it.

Talking

Owen E Oulton,

I agree with you about the difficulties of the FASA deckplans. If I remember correctly, there were no bathrooms on the Strider! I really like what you started to do with deckplans of your own. I always thought that those Ranger Class Scouts should have had a smaller number of crew members and that an even newer version around the 2330's and upgraded in the 2360's would have gone a long way to help boost the fleet after Wolf 359 and all those conflicts on DS9. Again, thanks!

They were very basic designs and intended to be that way. I found them far more usable then the ones in the module Decision at Midnight I believe it was called.

Long-term use yes they left something to be desired but I as well as the three seperate groups I have used a Ranger with felt the plans worked well enough for what we needed.

Regards,
    CKV.