Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starships Erratta (by me)

Starships Erratta (by me)

To get a better handle on the CODA starship mechanics (and because I have seen no erratta anywhere else for this book), I built the Akira, Ambassador and Constitution (2245) ships from scratch. These are the errors I found:

Akira

- Per the most recent NG Errata, Akira should have 6 regular and 6 emegency transporters (3 for free and 3 more for 1 space). SIDE NOTE: I'm assuming there are 6 cargo transporters as well, and they just aren't mentioned.

- Quantum Penetration should be 9/9/9/9/9 (vanilla Photons should be 8/8/8/8/8 as listed).

- Weapons reliability should be (E).

Ambassador

- Reduce Size to 7 (to fit length and beam requirements, makes the space numbers work better).

- Increase Structure by 5 (losing 5 space)

- Increase Sensors to Rating 3 (having Sensors older than the NX-class ships on a 24th century state-of-the-art starship makes no sense. )

- Add Emergency separation systems (can't imagine why this ship doesn't have this).

- Increase Numer of Phasers from 2 to 5 (Fits penetration numbers).

- Tactical Maneuver modifier should be +2 not -2.

- Replace Warp Engines w/ LF-7X2, purchased twice to accomodate a Size 7 ship. (No LF-17+ listed in the book, LF-17 availability in 2338, 16 years after Ambassador commisoning).

Constitution

I have 16 extra space here, and not sure what to do with it.

-----

I'll have nore soon. If I have made any mistakes, Iwould appreciate being shown the errors of my ways

DC
    They keep telling me that the beat's going to get me, so I'm avoiding the beat at all costs!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ensign Deconn
    Constitution

I have 16 extra space here, and not sure what to do with it.
    Beef up Structure? Those connies could take a beating.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King
    Beef up Structure? Those connies could take a beating.
    You understand that would give the Connie a total structure of 55, nearly twice that of a Galaxy-class explorer.
    They keep telling me that the beat's going to get me, so I'm avoiding the beat at all costs!!

I once reverse engineered the Connie and it came out to either one free space left or one over. Can't remember which...

Will have to dig out my notes...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

You understand that would give the Connie a total structure of 55, nearly twice that of a Galaxy-class explorer.
    I kind of like that : D
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Connies are like way cool.....
    If Matt Damon is going to be Captain Kirk, does that mean Ben Affleck is gonna be Mr. Spock?

You gonna Asspierce-me, or just send me a dead Rat?
    Insane.
    "Always beware of anything said by a person with a smile." -Cronan-sama
    http://www.cronan-memorial.com

http://sites.google.com/site/memoryeta
    Initially Trek, but haphazard Archival Site, no need to make it a Wiki.

http://web.archive.org/web/200410151.../ssd/ssds.html
    Don Miller's SSDs for Star Fleet Battles are here, axing the URL past sfb takes you to the main site.

Well...you fart in a Galaxy Classes direction and the thing would break
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyCaitian
    Well...you fart in a Galaxy Classes direction and the thing would break
    I was thinking of pointing out how the space-battles in TWoK and Generations were different. In TWoK, the two ships beat the shit out of each other until Khan blows his up–in Generations, the Ent-D is felled by a couple torpedoes. Both of these battles occurred sans the shield's protection. However, in TWoK Khan started by trying to cripple the ship, not destroy it immediately, and after that the nebula handicapped both ships. I'm not convinced by it myself, though, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Burke
    I once reverse engineered the Connie and it came out to either one free space left or one over. Can't remember which...

Will have to dig out my notes...
    I'd really like to see how you came up with those numbers, Doug, thanks.

DC

I'd really like to see how you came up with those numbers, Doug, thanks.
    Redid the math in preparation for my upcoming TOS game.

In Starships, the pre-refit Connie came up as 14 space short. Here's the figures:

Total Space (Size 6): 81
    +10 Structure: -10
    +10 Cargo Units: -2
    Class 4 Life Support: -7
    Class 4 Ops Systems: -7
    Class 3 Sensors: -3
    Emergency Separation: -1
    Shuttlebay: -2
    +1 Tractor Beam: -1
    Extra Transporters: -1
    SBE Impulse System: -5
    PB-32 Mod 3 Warp System: -7
    3 Type IV Phasers: -6 (incl. -1 each for Heavy classification)
    2 Mk 12 IF Torpedo Launchers: -2 (incl. -1 each for Cruiser Classification)
    PFF 2a Deflector Shields: -8 (incl. 2 space for Threshold increase)
    Hardened Systems Edge: -5
    Space Used: 67
    Space Left: 14 (81-67=14)

Now, the real point of this is that you do not have to utilize all the space available for the ship's size to get the effect you're looking for.

Now I have to think which ship it was that had one over. Might have been the [/i]Intrepid[/i]...

Add a aft set of phasers for the Constitution class (as they appear on the Defiant), and 'correct' FJ's interpretation there. Also, at least SOME of the Constitution class ships had an aft torpedo launcher as well.

I would also add a little bit of structure to the ol' girl, as she takes a LOT of punishment.
    "Thank god I'm only watching the game... controlling it!"

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard
    Add a aft set of phasers for the Constitution class (as they appear on the Defiant), and 'correct' FJ's interpretation there. Also, at least SOME of the Constitution class ships had an aft torpedo launcher as well.
    That would take up 3 of the 14 space left over.

I would also add a little bit of structure to the ol' girl, as she takes a LOT of punishment.
    I don't know. She already has 5 more structure than the E-D... Maybe add another Edge, like Battle Tested for example.

You don't have to use all 14, I'm just saying you have the ship slightly undergunned. (Particularly the Defiant variant).

Battle-Tested would actually make sense, considering. The girl's been through a lot and the design IS meant for a much more combat-oriented ship than anything from TNG onwards.
    "Thank god I'm only watching the game... controlling it!"

Actually, looking at the stats, I'd suggest adding 1 phaser and 2 torpedo launchers (for a total of 4 each). This brings both penetration ratings up by one level (to 4/4/4/0/0 and 4/4/4/4/4 respectively). Adding that and the Battle Tested Edge lowers the free space to 5.

Mind you, this is all regarding the pre-refit Connie. The refit is a whole 'nother kettle of fish (which I'm not diving into now).

BTW, Minor correction. The pre-refit Connie had the exact same structure as a Galaxy.