Thread: STRPG Quick Start Adventure

STRPG Quick Start Adventure

Has anyone else seen this?Just when I started bitching and moaning about Decipher not supporting any of its RPGs at the San Diego Comic-Con,I stumbled into the Decipher booth yesterday and they were doing demos for ST and LoTR!Since I haven't really heard anything about it on this site I'll post a breif reveiw.

The Quick Start Adventure is a 16 page booklet containing 6 pages of chopped down CODA rules as well as a "What is roleplaying" section.The rules are what you would expect from a quick start set,just the basics,very stripped down.2 pages on how to use the stats on the character sheets.

The 3 characters provided are pretty interesting.2 Starfleet officers,1 Human,1 Klingon (the Klingon is a member due to political resons and doesn't want to be in Starfleet at all) and a Bajoran Medical doctor.They, along with 2 Red Shirt NPCs beam down to a planet in the Gamma Quadrant (the adventure is set in 2371) to investigate a UFP research station that has fallen mysteriously silent.I won't give up the rest of the plot,just in case any of you decide to play in this when Decipher rolls into your town.I will say that it is pretty cool.There is a section after the adventure describing what could happen next,just in case anyone wants to expand on it.

And the dice! A little ziplock bag is stapled to the booklet that contains 2 red D6.The numbers are in Klingon!There is a key inside the front cover for those of us that can't read Klingon.They are the coollest dice I have ever seen.

All in all this is a neat little book.The cover has the same artwork as the PG.Not too many pictures inside,there are illustrations of the 3 player characters.And I have been waiting to see what a Decipher adventure would look like in terms of layout.It is put together as a series of encounters ( 3 of them) with a breif introduction and the aforementioned "Beyond this adventure section".I might use this as the basis for demos I'll be running at a local gaming con next month (I am running a few different games ,so this could cut down on my design work considerably).

Looks like I'll have to check out the LoTR demo today,just to see if they have dice that are in Elvish!Thanks for the cool free book ,Decipher!
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf

Re: STRPG Quick Start Adventure

Originally posted by Lowly Uhlan
    Looks like I'll have to check out the LoTR demo today,just to see if they have dice that are in Elvish!Thanks for the cool free book ,Decipher!
    They do. And they're rather cool, too.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Cool

How can the rest of us get hold of these adventures (and dice)?

Would it be possible for Decipher to post these as PDF's on the website?
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

Originally posted by Cmdr Powers
    Would it be possible for Decipher to post these as PDF's on the website?
    That's the plan for the adventures following the convention season. The dice might be a little hard to PDF, though...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Cool

Originally posted by Doug Burke
    That's the plan for the adventures following the convention season. The dice might be a little hard to PDF, though...
    Great! Hmm, I guess we need to start thinking downloads for 3d printers...
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

They might add some of those dice to the special edition sets. This might boost sales considerably for just, I dunno, 30 cents or so.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

Mmmmm ...

Klingon dice good. With a side of gagh and some bloodwine, of course.

Steve
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

Didn't get a chance to play the LoTR demo-my fiance was with me and i didn't want to turn her into a game widow.Oh well.I do applaud Decipher for running the demos.The guy who ran it looked really tired,he probably had run a bunch of the demos.And I did see a few guys walking around with the Quick Start booklet. The word is being spread for the best RPG currently available

Ugh. I'm kicking myself for not planning a trip to any of these cons. I'd slay for a pair of Tengwar dice.

Maybe next year...

Originally posted by Ineti
    Ugh. I'm kicking myself for not planning a trip to any of these cons. I'd slay for a pair of Tengwar dice.

Maybe next year...
    Gen Con SoCal for LoTr dice sounds like a plan for me.Only 1 1/2 hours north of me ! I'll be there quicker than you can say "Oooh mind games baby"!

PDF Please

My wife is excited about the dice. She's Already talking to the convention coordinator locally.

As for me I'd like to see more adventures publised. I'd certainly like to see the Quickstarts in PDF.
    Ware and were friends....

-Greeting amongst the Woodsman of the Gnarley Forest

quick start adventures

On the Decipher STRPG message boards, Jesse Heinig mentioned they had plans to offer on their web site those free CODA adventures that were available at Gen Con. He also mentioned they would make available the 3 adventures from the first DecipherCon last year. That would make 6 CODA advenrtures for STRPG to look forward to! I hope Decipher puts them on their web site soon.

Maybe by then this will be the official site that Decipher will put them up on.

Any progress on getting these quick start adventures available for download, Decipher i've guys?
    I'm starting up a LOTR chronicle in a week or two and this would probably come in really useful.

Renny