Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engage!Where is my minis game?

Personally I can't get into Star Trek miniatures, except maybe as collectibles. If I were to get back into minis, I'd want it to be something historical, thus giving a basis for deciding whether the rules are accurate or not (minis battles, from my time in them, seem to hinge on the accuracy factor). Star Trek, since it is ultimately made up with nothing hard and fast to compare to, would be "anyone's best guess" for a set of rules.

This is also why I stayed well away from Starfleet Battles.

Personal tastes, though.

Hmm, now if I could get the English Civil War miniatures game group going again...

Staying away from SFB is a sign of good taste...Way to complex. IMO

I would personally love to see a middle ground for my Star Trek desires. I certainly am done with the micro-management power allocation method that SFB, FASA, and LUGs RPG/Spacedock had. Thank the Decipher game designers and Don for providing us with that bit of evolution. However, as much as I enjoy the speed and ease of the new combat rules that Decipher has presented I still feel a little more accuracy would please me.

As much as I hate to say it the Decipher rules would easily converted to a Clix style system. It would be smooth and easy to get a game going. Would'nt require a life age of this world to finish either. I am another "Old School" gamer who has watched games and gimmicks come and go. Anyone remember POGS? God, I hated those things. They're gone now. Good riddence, but I digress. The fact is that I would support a clix style rules set for two reasons.

1) It will make it easier to bring fresh blood to our hobby. The future of gaming is in the hands of the younger generation. (Even if they all have Attention Deficit Disorder) I personally am not willing to give up my TOYs yet, and I'm willing to play nice so that I still have my TOYs to play with. I'll share.

2) I have been eagerly awaiting new minis. All my old FASA and Ral Partha starships are falling apart. If for nothing else than representations for my RPG game to show relative position. I have thrice been promised new minis. LUG had plans to release thier "Ships of the line" series, that segwayed into minis for the proposed spacedock game. Then Decipher says that they have a minis game in the works, but due to industry issues we are most likely on the loosing side again.

The only thing that I am hesitant about with a clix style game is the quality of the minatures. I have seen the MAge Knight and Mechwarrior: DA stuff. Gaudy processed rubber. I would be hesitant to buy that. However, if they were to do sommething like Wizards of the Coast is trying to pull off with the hard plastic, pre-painted D&D minis then I would be more than satisfied.
    You will find adventure, or Adventure will find you.

Originally posted by Ramage
    Personally I can't get into Star Trek miniatures, except maybe as collectibles. If I were to get back into minis, I'd want it to be something historical, thus giving a basis for deciding whether the rules are accurate or not (minis battles, from my time in them, seem to hinge on the accuracy factor). Star Trek, since it is ultimately made up with nothing hard and fast to compare to, would be "anyone's best guess" for a set of rules.

This is also why I stayed well away from Starfleet Battles.

Personal tastes, though.

Hmm, now if I could get the English Civil War miniatures game group going again...
    While Star Fleet Battles is a long lived and solid space combat game its way off as far as canon goes.But dude,how could you possibly own the (hypothetical Decipher) minis and not play ?

Moot point I guess,since the game and minis might not ever be released.

And good point on the accuracy factor.I guess it would come down to whether the game fit your conception of what "realistic" Star Trek ship combat would be like.FASA's system fit pretty well IMO.

Lastly, has anyone out there read the "Starmada" rules? When I looked at it at the LGS it seemed like it could be adapted to Trek.
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf