Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Animated Series?

Another Animated Series?

What would most of y'all would think of another Trek animated series if they did consider doing one?

Only if they make better Kzin. No @#$*ing pink uniforms!
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Or better yet, drop Kzin altogether since they belong in the Known Space stories, not in Trek.

Personal opinion, expressed only by the ex-management

I picked up the VHS tape of "Yesteryear" a few weeks back, have watched it probably four, five times now and remain consistently pleased and surpised at how well that effort - which originally came out when I was eight, and which I remember just dying to see the series premier of - has stood the test of time. With that in mind, I don't think I'd have any objections to resurrecting the franchise in that format, provided certain...quality assurances, shall we say, were fulfilled. The only questions I'd have are, a) Is is going to be an entirely new cast/crew/setting, and b) If not, how are we going to arrange for the voice-overs, especially considering that DeForest Kelley - if the show was TOS-oriented - has passed on, and many of the other cast members have had their fill of Trek for this lifetime?

Yesteryear is one of two or three outstanding episodes - the rest are merely average even by the standards of the day, and several are truly horrendous, barely better than Star Trek: Nemesis, including the utter nadir of the series, The Infinite Vulcan. It's almost as bad a Walter Koenig's other forays into writing TV SF - two episodes of The Starlost.

I wouldn't be averse to seeing a new animated series, but I'd rather it be a whole new crew set in either the TOS movie era or post-DS9. Unfortunately, given what I've seen of the current state of animation, it'd wind up being Star Trek Extreme!!! or some such crap.

Talking

Hmmm....Give it to JMS to Pen and Harlan Ellison to consult and tell the Paramount droids to go wizz off, you could have lots of fun with this series.

And animation is coming back strong from Japan. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is eye popping in detail and the plots are strong.

But paramount finally appears to be wizing up to the fact they can't alienate thier viewer base with simple tripe. A neat idea IMHO
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

A bit off topic, but just mentioning The Starlost...shudder. Just as with TAS, I remember watching that when I was about eight or so, and wondering if there was something wrong with me. I loved science fiction - and yet this show seemed genetically resequenced to bore me to the point where watching paint dry was an eye-opener in comparison. It wasn't until I read Ellison's own account of how the network chipmunks - including our own beloved CRTC and its Canadian content rules - had castrated and emasculated that series to the point where Ellison felt compelled to replace his name, as creator, with "Cordwainer Bird". Just shows what we Canadians can do with science fiction when our wonderful committee system of production gets its grubby little hands on it...

Anyway, back to the subject at hand: Yes, we'd definitely have to make sure the right people were in charge here, although I don't know whether Ellison would feel comfortable being associated with Trek again in any form, after the "City of the Edge of Forever" conflict and the fooforah over the first movie, detailed by Stephen King in Danse Macabre.

Originally posted by Owen E Oulton
    [i].......
    I wouldn't be averse to seeing a new animated series, but I'd rather it be a whole new crew set in either the TOS movie era or post-DS9. Unfortunately, given what I've seen of the current state of animation, it'd wind up being Star Trek Extreme!!! or some such crap.
    Yeah, i was thinking having the next generation crew.

I dunno. It would be nice to see someone other than Paramount take a crack at a new Trek. I'd like to see something fresh, animated or not.

A new animated sreries would be the opporotunity to do the mixed cast crew many of us want.Riker's crew on the Titan with DS9 and VOY characters?I would say that this would be the big chance for "Starfleet academy" series,but since we're talking about a cartoon it would most likely end up being the Trek 90210 that I would both hate and fear.
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf

This would be the big chance for "Starfleet Academy" series, but since we're talking about a cartoon it would most likely end up being the Trek 90210 that I would both hate and fear.
    Dude! Where's my starship!

Something I would to have liked to have seen was the adventures of the Excelsior under Sulu.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

I don't remember exactly when, but a few years ago I said there should be a TNGAS. It seemed a natural progression at the time.

Now, though, how about Trek Anime!

One of my ideas I had a few years ago was that if they wanted to do a The Next Generation animated series, have it set back on the Enterprise-D in the months between "All Good Things..." and the 24th century parts of Generations. What would be really interesting is if the animation was in the style of the Warner animated shows (Batman, Superman, Justice League, et al.)

Ideally, the cartoons would be adult enough that it would be like what we see in [i]The Animatrix]/i] or other anime. But knowing Paramount, it would be a "kiddy show" - of course, it probably wouldn't be hard to turn Elite Force into such a series.

"Now, though, how about Trek Anime!"

No. Go sit in the corner and think about how wrong you are.

A post-Nemesis TNG toon based on Riker's new ship could work, especially given how much voice work Frakes and Sirtis already do for animated shows. It would obviate the need to have someone imitate the high-priced Stewart and Spiner. Jimmy Doohan loves doing voice work, so a return of Scotty could be a good story with him as a guest star.

I'd still prefer a new set of characters and a new ship, though.

Originally posted by Owen E Oulton
    "Now, though, how about Trek Anime!"

No. Go sit in the corner and think about how wrong you are.
    No, he's not wrong.