Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Klingon Martial Arts

Post Klingon Martial Arts

One of the character write ups in RRR has the skill: Unarmed Combat (qel'Qa-Klingon Boxing)...was this style ever written up anywhere or lost when Blood & Honor failed to be released ? I'd like to see some more Klingon styles...
    I've written up some overlays for Klingons until the fan project gets released, but don't have any ideas for martial arts.

Didn't Tom Riker see Troi practicing Mok'bara and compare it to Tai Chi? That might make a good starting point to develop Mok'bara.

------------------

<<<<

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

I found a good write up on Mok'bara...through the links page on TrekRPG's site actually. I was more wondering if anything else had been covered, even unofficially, I noticed good Andorian and Betazoid styles on these boards. I was hoping to see some unarmed combat styles & weapon styles for Klingons...I may just have to wait until a fan based SB surfaces !

Originally posted by rihannsu:
    I found a good write up on Mok'bara...through the links page on TrekRPG's site actually. I was more wondering if anything else had been covered, even unofficially, I noticed good Andorian and Betazoid styles on these boards. I was hoping to see some unarmed combat styles & weapon styles for Klingons...I may just have to wait until a fan based SB surfaces !

Relax gentlemen, just please be patient, we're working deligently on getting the supplement done. We just have so much info to sort through and work into game play statistics it takes a bit of time, and yes you will see Klingon Boxing however differently named in proper Klingon, and a few other varieties of martial arts, and weapons both hand-held and energy and even slug throwers. A variety of Houses, vehicles from land air sea and space, to include space stations. New skills traits, well i could go on but i think thats enough to wet your whistle.

Bill

Bill.

You got the two Klingon melee oddities...

- Duras 'Katana Like' sword from his duel with Worf.

- and the Mace as used by the 'Klingon' janeway in the opening sequence of 'The Killing Game'.

Those two keep cropping up in my mind.

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"

Appreciate the answer/info/summary !

Wet the whistle for sure ! Sounds great, look forward to seeing it. And take your time, I can only imagine how much info there is to go through since the Klingons 'evalution' during, TNG, DS9 etc.

Exclamation

I'm not sure if this is of use to anyone, but there is a banned copy of Klingon batleth techniques and kata floating about. Supposedly it was to be mass produced and published but someone high up the food chain did not like the idea and had most of the copys destroyed. As the story goes, a few survived and are extremely rare collectors items.

The techniques discriped in the books are reportedly the work of real flesh and blood weapons experts who divised ways to use the batleth in 'combat' effectively. I saw a copy being auctioned off on Ebay a couple months back. Has anybody heard anything about this? Are those of you working on the Klingon supplement looking at real world martial art styles for guidance, or you going for a more abstract approach?

AslanC Guest

Originally posted by Tiberius_Verutum:
    I'm not sure if this is of use to anyone, but there is a banned copy of Klingon batleth techniques and kata floating about. Supposedly it was to be mass produced and published but someone high up the food chain did not like the idea and had most of the copys destroyed. As the story goes, a few survived and are extremely rare collectors items. The techniques discriped in the books are reportedly the work of real flesh and blood weapons experts who divised ways to use the batleth in 'combat' effectively. I saw a copy being auctioned off on Ebay a couple months back. Has anybody heard anything about this? Are those of you working on the Klingon supplement looking at real world martial art styles for guidance, or you going for a more abstract approach?
    Actually my best frined ( a Stunt man and Martial Arts instructor) saw this book at a Martial Arts store in NYC I believe (I will ask him next time where exactly and wehat the stores name was) Any who the long and the short of it is that there is no conspiracy, it was written by the guy who owns the ZMartial Arts store. And it is mostly hogwash. The Bat'leth is a cumbersome and awkward weapon that would get you killed against most other weapons. This I know for a fighting demo we did. Trust me it was designed by Artists not warriors

Cool

Not sure if we're talking about the same book, but I do have a copy of one that gives a "Klingon" fighting style. (Red mottled cover, people in fair-to-mediocre klingon makeup and costumes for the photographic references, lots of Klingon quotes throughout the book).

A friend of mine worked at the bindery that printed them here in Utah and got his hands on some rejected copies. (He is allowed to do so as the books would just be thrown out otherwise. And it can only take being off-printed by 1/8 of an inch to be rejected.)

Not sure of the title of the one I have, though. I seem to recall it was written by a Klingon fan group...

------------------
    Doug Burke

McCoy: "You're taking me to the promised land?"
    Kirk: "That's what you get for missing staff meetings, Doctor."

Originally posted by Dan Gurden:
    Bill.

You got the two Klingon melee oddities...

- Duras 'Katana Like' sword from his duel with Worf.

- and the Mace as used by the 'Klingon' janeway in the opening sequence of 'The Killing Game'.

Those two keep cropping up in my mind.

The sword is from the costal proviences, a weapon seldom used except by costal famlies.
    The Mace is a rarely used but effective weapon, it's unwieldy to use, and to survive with one you need extensive skill, or alot of luck, used at one time primarily by the monks, since they believed not in slashing as the life out of you as a warrior does, but beating sense into you as any good spritual leader should .

Originally posted by rihannsu:
    Appreciate the answer/info/summary !

Wet the whistle for sure ! Sounds great, look forward to seeing it. And take your time, I can only imagine how much info there is to go through since the Klingons 'evalution' during, TNG, DS9 etc.
    Ohh is there ever.

Originally posted by Tiberius_Verutum:
    I'm not sure if this is of use to anyone, but there is a banned copy of Klingon batleth techniques and kata floating about. Supposedly it was to be mass produced and published but someone high up the food chain did not like the idea and had most of the copys destroyed. As the story goes, a few survived and are extremely rare collectors items.

The techniques discriped in the books are reportedly the work of real flesh and blood weapons experts who divised ways to use the batleth in 'combat' effectively. I saw a copy being auctioned off on Ebay a couple months back. Has anybody heard anything about this? Are those of you working on the Klingon supplement looking at real world martial art styles for guidance, or you going for a more abstract approach?
    The book was published quite a while back and was suppose to have good info, but Paramount squashed it really fast, I belive it was due to them not checking with Paramount first.

As to the one your talking about Doug differnt book i've got the one your talking about.

Hi all,

Just a quick moderator request to keep pull this back to ICON-Trek related discussion. Or, if more general discussion is desired, I will gladly move this to the Star Trek forum.

-Dan, Ye Non-Corrupt Moderator

------------------

AslanC Guest

Okay then Dan

Here we go, if Mok'bara is a sneakier Akido styled Martial Art (from what we have seen on TV) what would the more agressive, Shotokan Karate style be like? A name? Some moves?

Anyone?

How about qel'Qa !!! I read that somewhere.....

You'd think Klingons would have some kinda cross between Nausicaan fighting, wrestling and brawling or something....for when the Bloodwine gets the better of them !

You could always do a generic Klingon Naval Martial Arts type style, but it seems to me for a warrior species like them, some kind of fighting skill would be taught well before KDF training...unfortunately I haven't got anywhere NEAR enough Klingon knowledge to try writing one up.

We can eagerly (and patiently !) await the supplement Sundell's working on