Thread: Data (my best guess...)

Data (my best guess...)

DATA

Species: Android

Species Ability: Mechanical, Database, Bonus Traits: Ageless, Sense of TIme; Bonus Flaw: Behavioral Restraints, Diminshed Social Status, Off Switch

Attributes: str 14/4, agl 5/0, int 14/4, vit 13/3, prs 6/0, per 10/2

Reactions: quick 2, savvy 2, stam 3, wil 4

Professions: Starship Officer (operations, command)

Professional Abilities: Starship Duty (ops, cmd), Ops Manager, Station Proficiency, Crosstrained, Level-Headed, Engineering Certification, Eyes on the Board, Exemplary Support, Capable, Starship/Starbase Protocol

Advancements: 58

Skills: Athletics +5, Computer Use (Prgramming, Research) +10, Construct (Android) +6, Craft: Painting +4, Culture (Human) +6, Energy Weapons +4, Enterprise/Administration (Starfleet) +9, Entertain/Play Instrument, Sing +6, First Aid +6, Gaming (Poker) +6, History (Federation) +7, Inquire (Fraternize) +7, Investigate +8, Knowledge: Holmesian Literature +6, Language/Federation Standard +6, Law (Starfleet Regs) +5, Negotiate +3, Observe +5, Operate Vehicle +5, Physical Science (Mathematics, Physics) +6, Propulsion Engineering (Warp, Impulse) +7, Persuade +5, Politics (Federation) +3, Repair +10, Space Science (Astronomy, Stellar Cartography) +7, Specific World (Earth) +4, Survival +7, Systems Engineering (EPS, Computer)+9, Systems Operations (Flight Control, Ops Management) +10, , Tactics +2, Unarmed Combat/Starfleet Martial Arts +5

Edges: Ageless, Curious, Command 2, Commendations 6, Famous Incident 4, Famous Ship 2, Innovative (Eng. Cert), Meticulous, Promotion +4, Sense of Time

Flaws: Behavior Restraints (PAcifist 2), Diminished Social Status, Off Switch

Health: 17 Courage: 5 Renown: 10

Background: B. 2338, Starfleet Academy 2341-45, Promoted to LTJ; 2365, Enterprise-D; 2367, Wolf 359; 2368, command of Sutherland; 2379, death on Scimitar.

(This is him at the beginning of Nemesis...)
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

The only things that jump out at me are his Agility and Perception seem low. Perception seems just a point or two lower than I'd do it, but Agility? I mean, his agility is not only less than the average humans, but orughly 2/3 that of Geordi and Picard (as listed in the NG), and this is the guy who was able to replace the isolinear chips in engineering at superhuman speed in "The Naked Now"?

Just my two cents...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

superhuman speed while intoxicated
    Anyone who still uses Frames for a website should be shot.
    Does your sig area really need to be bigger then your post?

Good point , DB. I was just going off of the general impression I got off of Data (don't watch the show all that much anymore). Spiner rarely did anything "athletic".
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

And there has been one or two examples of Data's manual dexterity being exhibited.

The first incident that comes to mind, with regard to agility or reaction speed, is when Lore knocked the phaser out of Worf's hand and gave him the villain's patented Contemptuous Backhand(TM). While this was, of course, not Data per se, I think it reasonable to assume that Lore and Data were pretty much identical in all physical regards. I personally think an Agility of 12 or thereabouts would be more in keeping with the abilities demonstrated.

Also, shouldn't Eidetic Memory and Alert figure somewhere in here, as some of the logical Edges?

I would most humbly suggest that some of the more technical skills would be set at 12 (like the sciences, computer use, engineering etc) based mainly on the fact that these skills are int based and Data (being computer) has been programmed with the sum knowledge within the Federation on these topics. Of course any social and agility skills would've been developed.

IMVHO I don't really see the point of this creation though. Data is a computer and if you intend to use him as an NPC then he'd be one of those characters that you can pretty much make up on the spot and if you want him to have a certain skill or ability then you let him have it (pretty much anything can be justified with Data). It's the same as trying to create an EMH or any other form of sentient but artificial lifeform. They are the sum of their programming.

But fair play for having a go and I'll admit it does look impressive.
    We have all your working biros and we're not afraid to use them.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

While I agree with the skills at 12 to a certain extent I think there is a separation between knowledges (which he has alot of) and skills. Data often knows an awful lot about a subject but is unable to use that information. For example he researched Dancing but was unable to learn untill he practically was shown it. or his inability to perform standup comedy despite his huge research into the field. With regards to his memory he is programmed with large ammounts of information but he seems to be able to only access it at relativelly slow speeds, akin to recalling a distant memory; he might have the 24th century of the oxford English dictionary built into his brain but he is often unstuck at common phrases and comedy words of the week.

Ok here's a couple of stabs at some bonus edges and Flaws to expand on the Soong type android (and others) over and above what's been written before.

========================

EDGE: Computer Mimic - The artificial life form is capable of mimicing a highly accurate rendering of sounds, facial expressions or physical appearance (Hologram only) of a person or Life Form. However this is limited to a mirror like reflection. it does not grant it the acting ability to pretend to be that person/ thing.
    Example: Impersonating a fellow officer TN: 5; Impersonating an unfamiliar person you have met a few times TN 10; Impersonating a complete stranger based only on audio files and / or a holographic image TN 15.

========================

FLAW: Think inside the Box. The artificial inteligence has an affinity with computers and thinks just like them. it is hard for them to act on impulse or on the spur of the moment, Override an order from a seniour officer or a machine. The artificial inteligence would need to spend a courage point to overcome this limitation for a given action.
    Example: override a safety protocol in order to save the ship despite it's self. Be able to think of an abstact response based on not enough empirical evidence "That does not compute; insuficient parameters". Come up with an original work which is not merelly a 'cut and paste' job from extensive reasearch (A Novel or Holmes style dramitisation etc).

NOTE: This Flaw also works allong side Computer mimic, meaning the Artificial Life form would find it hard to act outside what it had observed.

========================

Edge: Computer eidetic memory. The artificial inteligence is capable of storing vast ammounts of information in it's databanks, which it can use as reference material to recall when needed. However this does not function as Organic memory and has a base time to recover the information from it's brain. The Life form gains a +2 to all knowledge checks.

Base time modifiers. 5 below TN - failure to recal information - marginal success - recall the information in 1D6 rounds. Complete success - recal the information in 1 round. Excelent success - has instant knowledge.

NOTE: This Edge does not apply to knowledge skills already posessed by the Artificial inteligence, they function as normal. If the inteligence fails on a roll it does not have this knowledge at all, and will fail all subsequent rolls in that field of knowledge, but may later research it via access to a computer terminal, or direct data transfer as applicable.

========================

Just my musings (Read: too much spare time!)
    Ta Muchly

Looks good to me.

The only flaw I can spot is "Innovative(Eng.Cert.)". Innovative can only be used to buy the professional ability of a basic profession, while Engineering Certification belongs to an elite profession.

As for the Agility issue I am not sure if Data should have more than an average Agility, but I would increase his Quickness. He may (or may not) have a better hand-eye-coordination than an average human, but IMO he should have at least a higher reaction speed. As always YMMV, of course.

Originally posted by Tobian

Edge: Computer eidetic memory. The artificial inteligence is capable of storing vast ammounts of information in it's databanks, which it can use as reference material to recall when needed. However this does not function as Organic memory and has a base time to recover the information from it's brain. The Life form gains a +2 to all knowledge checks.
    Already the case: the Database ability. See the artificial lifeforms trhead in the CODA section.

John Stuart Mill

That's spooky as I made that up off the top of my head, though I did have a look at your artificial life forms download already. I guess I should have double checked ;-)
    Ta Muchly

No sweat, tob -- so far all comments seem pretty spot on.

John Stuart Mill

Originally posted by Lancer

As for the Agility issue I am not sure if Data should have more than an average Agility, but I would increase his Quickness. He may (or may not) have a better hand-eye-coordination than an average human, but IMO he should have at least a higher reaction speed. As always YMMV, of course.
    Agreed. Troi specifically mentioned (and Worf looked concerned about) the "speed and reflexes of an android" in A Fist Full of Datas, IIRC.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

I think I have to agree - Data needs to have more than the base dexterity, but I don't think it's neccessarily that high; it's just that he can move extraordinarily fast under some circumstances. I think perhaps that should be just covered by a high initiative and extra actions in a round. Possibly you can reflect that in an Edge for Androids?
    Ta Muchly