Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new Starship Counters v1

Talking new Starship Counters v1

Sorr for the late response (Finals weeks). As promised here's the counters for those that want some ship counters. To print.. take them to your local hour digital lab where they can print from jpeg images and request an 8 x10. Some places have those kodak picture makers that can do the trick. The resulting print out will give you some sharp images to use. The image is about 1.4 megs so you might need to save it onto a zip drive or CD or whatever is compatible.

included are:

Akira
    Ambassador
    Borg Cube
    Borg Sphere
    Breen Battlecruiser
    Constellation
    Constitution (TMP and TOS)
    D-5
    D-7
    D'Daredix
    Defiant
    Delta Flyer
    Deep Space Nine Station
    DY-100
    Excelisor (both versions)
    Galaxy
    Galor
    Intrepid
    J'Hadar Battleship
    J'Hadar Fighter
    Keldon
    K'vort/B'rel
    Miranda
    Nebula (both version)
    N'gevar (sp)
    Nova
    Oberth
    Prometheus
    Bird of Prey (Enterprise variation)
    Saber
    Scimitar
    Soverign
    Steamrunner
    Stormbird (Romulan d7)
    Valdore
    Vorcha

Feedback and whatever is welcomed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Question?

Hey ya! Outstanding job on the counters! I used to use the micromachines plastic models to determine positioning. I was wondering, you a builder of ships and such ,what would you use as a playing surface to help determine distance, positioning, planets, roids, nebulas, and the like for your counters? I use pennies for roids or shuttles, but what would you suggest to use for larger things like planets and such? I have printed out your awesome counters on matte paper to give them some durability now all I have to do is field test them this weekend! Thanks for the counters!

7 of 11
    A
    7 of 11
    Bored of Borg?
    Try the new Species 8472!
    Hard to kill, Harder to find!

Re: Question?

Originally posted by 7 of 11
    Hey ya! Outstanding job on the counters! I used to use the micromachines plastic models to determine positioning. I was wondering, you a builder of ships and such ,what would you use as a playing surface to help determine distance, positioning, planets, roids, nebulas, and the like for your counters? I use pennies for roids or shuttles, but what would you suggest to use for larger things like planets and such? I have printed out your awesome counters on matte paper to give them some durability now all I have to do is field test them this weekend! Thanks for the counters!

7 of 11
    A
    during the early 90s i got the star trek tactical simulator by FASA and it came with hexagonal starship counters (pre-TNG) and it came with moons, asteroids, planets and starbases and with a starfiled map in hexes on them. Which is why they're in hexes and why i pined for updated hexes that included TNG ships. I still have the starfield map but i believe there are online stores that actually sell hexed out maps for placement and stuff. I might have to go search but if someone knows of one.. maybe they'd be kind to post it . As for the non-ship stuff (asteroids, planets, and such) i still have those counters from the box but maybe i'll consider trying to get some done. As a matter of fact, on the subject of maps, i do have a pdf file with hexes all over it. I'll see if i can find it and post it... you can probably print it out on a normal printer and draw out the planets and such.

Sweet!

Nice counters!

Absolutely gorgeous!

Well done!
    Old Age And Treachery Will Triumph Over Youth And Skill

Extremelly nice. I might have a go and print them out on my photo quality paper to see how well they turn out.

I do agree about some sort of asteroids counters, but I think planetary counters would be fairly pointless, as the scale is a little off!

While this is an impressive collection, what would be very handy would be all of the ships seen in the Decipher books - a handfull of shuttles, some freighters, Ferengi ships etc. Just because some of us might be using those ( I can't see much call for a fleet of Species 8472 Bioships unless you really hate your players and want them dead!).
    Ta Muchly

Originally posted by Tobian
    Extremelly nice. I might have a go and print them out on my photo quality paper to see how well they turn out.

I do agree about some sort of asteroids counters, but I think planetary counters would be fairly pointless, as the scale is a little off!

While this is an impressive collection, what would be very handy would be all of the ships seen in the Decipher books - a handfull of shuttles, some freighters, Ferengi ships etc. Just because some of us might be using those ( I can't see much call for a fleet of Species 8472 Bioships unless you really hate your players and want them dead!).
    Yeah, there were some that i intentionally left off like the frieghters.. i didn't think anyone would want them and the shuttles. I figured the delta flyer could substitute. The bioships i definitly left out cause i thought they... suck. But yeah, i'll see if i can include the Frenegi ship and possibly the NX-01 if people want em. I'm also thinking of putting togethor some non canon ships, particularily from the FASA line and maybe some planets or moons and such.

I have never used couters. . .until I joined the boards here I had not heard of counters.

So not knowing exactly how to use these things I may not be the best person to be giving tips, but. . .

Could you vary the size of the asteroid, moon and planet counters? Say combine four hex to make one planet counter, three hex for a moon, small asteroids on one hex, medium on two hex and large asteroids on three hex? This would give players a general idea of the size of the body the come across by the size of the hex it is printed on.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

While I can't see many people having a fight with a freighter, you could still want them for the purposes of 'kobyashi maru' scenarios - the bad guys harassing a freighter and the ship coming in to rescue them. etc.

If you had the ship that Acust Baran had in the episode witht he psionic amplifier (I forget the epsiode) I quickly mocked it up with monotanium plating to cover it's stealth effects, so a counter would be nice
    Ta Muchly

Originally posted by redwood973
    I have never used couters. . .until I joined the boards here I had not heard of counters.

So not knowing exactly how to use these things I may not be the best person to be giving tips, but. . .

Could you vary the size of the asteroid, moon and planet counters? Say combine four hex to make one planet counter, three hex for a moon, small asteroids on one hex, medium on two hex and large asteroids on three hex? This would give players a general idea of the size of the body the come across by the size of the hex it is printed on.
    Basically, counters are a substitute for miniatures for gaming , espcially those into fleet or mass (warhammer folks) combat stuff (though i heard that Decipher is coming with their own version called Red Alert or Engage or something). But for the FASA Star Trek Tactical Combat Simulator, they had a planet represented as five hexes or something. But for the RPG, u could use to represent one's ship and the NPC ship and use it for placement in combat. it also adds some zest and possible distraction for players which might be bad ...

Unhappy

somehow I can't download it... when I save it on my disk it says its a simple attachment of no recognizable format (yet it is supposed to be in zip form right?)- and when I try to open without saving it nothing happens... clues?

Originally posted by Snake_Plissken
    somehow I can't download it... when I save it on my disk it says its a simple attachment of no recognizable format (yet it is supposed to be in zip form right?)- and when I try to open without saving it nothing happens... clues?
    Try right clicking it and choose "save target.."

thanks but I get the same problem- I get a generic file called "attachement"... for the record I also have winzip and I tried on 2 different computers so far. Weird (!)

It worked fine for me.

With Space_Cadet's permission, I could put it up for download on my website.

I uploaded it to my server, for a bit, if Snake wants to get it:

http://combhome.wafel.net/trekrpg/ship-counters-v1.zip

I'll take it off if Space Cadet objects to it being there, though there aren't any on-site links to it other than from here.
    Ta Muchly