View Poll Results: What is your favorite videogame genre?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • First Person Shooter (Quake III, UT, HALO..etc)

1 5.56%
  • Adventure games (Tomb Raider series, et al)

1 5.56%
  • Simulations (Wing Commander, X Wing, The Sims,etc)

2 11.11%
  • Survival Horror (Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Clock Tower,etc)

2 11.11%
  • Fighting (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat,etc)

0 0%
  • RPG Turn Based (Final Fantasy, Legend of Dragoon,etc)

4 22.22%
  • RPG Real Time (Parasite Eve II, etc)

0 0%
  • Real Time Strategy (Command and Conquer)

3 16.67%
  • Racing (NASCAR, Gran Turismo, Wipeout,etc)

0 0%
  • Other?

5 27.78%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Videogame Genre

Favorite Videogame Genre

What is your favorite video game genre?

Well for me it would probably have to be survival horror, followed by first person shooters, and then simulation.

My favorite games thus far:

Survival Horror== Resident Evil (all the way up to --or back to-- RE 0)

First Person Shooters-- Timesplitters 2, Halo, Unreal Tournament

Simulations-- Star Trek Bridge Commander, X Wing Alliance.

Respectfully,
    General Chang

P.S. Things I hate in videogames.....turn based crap....except for Final Fantasy VII.
    "So the Enterprise is on her maiden voyage, eh? Now that is one well endowed lady. Ah'd like to get mah hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the bit o' engineerin' parlance." -Scotty, STAR TREK, 2009

My overally favourites are whatever is good - I'm still playing Homeworld (with with obligatory B5/DS9 and Star Wars mods), shooters - Deus Ex, Max Payne (with the Matrixed mod, preferably, or at least Kung Fu 3) and space shooters.

My big shiny thing right now is the Freespace 2 game modded for Babylon 5. The main campaign is set in the Earth Alliance Civil War, but there is also a massive 37-mission In The Beginning campaign - OK, so it's sampled from the russian disk and the translations suck, but it is truly cool...there's just something innately satisfying about flying a Starfury/Thunderbolt and blasting Raiders/Clarke's troops/anyone who wants some...
    "Whom do you serve?"
    "The Truth"
    "What is the truth?"
    "That we are one people, with one voice"
    "Will you follow me into fire, will you follow me into dartkness, will you follow me into death?"
    "Yes"
    "Then follow"
    - Dukhat & Delenn, In the Beginning

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Sports Sports Sports Sports Sports Sports Sports Sports

Get the picture?

I also like racers (Gran Turismo III on my PS2), sim games (Railroad Tycoon II), RTS (Age of Kings and Total War) and flight simulators (Jane's WWII Aircraft).

Another genre that I love, but don't get to see enough of is the naval combat simulator. Jane's Fleet Command and Fighting Steel (WWII surface combat simulator) are two of the best non-sports games I have ever played. And Age of Sail II comes very close behind them.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Originally posted by Morticutor_UK
    I'm still playing Homeworld (with with obligatory B5/DS9 and Star Wars mods)
    Please good sir, speak of these Homeworld mods and from whence they may be obtained.

Hmmm, doesn't really show up on the list...

Turn Based Strategy.

The Civilization series is, hands down, my favourite group of games. I am still quite happily playing Civ3 (would even continue with Civ2, except it is too antiquated to run on my current system).

I currently have three games on my system: Freedom Force, Neverwinter Nights (with SoU), and Civ3.

Of these, I play Civ3 almost daily and spot check on the others.

Tied between First Person shooters and RPGs. My favorite game of all-time is Morrowind. So open ended and beautiful, and I mod for it quite a bit.

First person shooters: Halo, COunter Strike, Soldier of Fortune II

Sports: Madden game, High heat games, Nascar games

FPS: Unreal 2003 for the sheer silliness factor, MOHAA for the gritty factor.

Real Time Strategy: Homeworld (With the Sacrifice of Angels mod) and the soon coming Homeworld 2. C&C Red Alert II: Yuris Revenge, C&C Generals, Star Trek Armada II (modded appropriately), Emperor Rise of the Middle Kingdom.

TBS: Europa Universalis II, Hearts of Iron (when patched properly), Civ III
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

I'm with Ramage on this one.

I put "Other", meaning "Turn Based Strategy"...nothing beats Civlisation III, IMO. It's the first thing that gets loaded onto my computer when I do a format or buy a new hard-drive - it's about the best time-waster I can think of!

Medieval:Total War runs a close second, I think, but it has far greater hardware requirements (for the 3D battles) than Civ, so I can't put it on my laptop.

But yeah...Civilisation definitely wins as far as the longest-running game for me (along with virtually infinite replayability)
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Real time Strategy. The Total War series is one of the best. Nothing like crushing enemies under the hooves of your Kataphractroi (?)

Originally posted by Phantom
    Real time Strategy. The Total War series is one of the best. Nothing like crushing enemies under the hooves of your Kataphractroi (?)
    Hah!

I'm actually playing England at the moment, and several hundred of my Welsh longbowmen just carved up a hundred or so Kataphracts like a roast!
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Originally posted by Aldaron
    Hah!

I'm actually playing England at the moment, and several hundred of my Welsh longbowmen just carved up a hundred or so Kataphracts like a roast!
    D'oh...Thems fightin' words.

First person shooters..I usually don't like that genre but i do enjoy playing delta force with friends

adventure games...that's a broad genre that encompasses all

simulation - starfleet command series.. i'm still wanting to play bridge commander after i download the demo

survival horror- hunter the reckoning is fun when playing as a team

fighting- i hate this genre too

rpg turn base- i like final fantasy but i like watching others play and watching the cinematics

rpg real time- none so far but star wars knights of the old republic seems kick ass

real time strategy- star wars galactic battle grounds

racing- i definitly loathe this genre

other--- chang, you forgot turn base strategy .. my favoirte is age of wonders

Thumbs up

My fave: computer role-playing game with turn-based feature. From Arcanum to Might & Magic to Wizardry.

My second fave: strategy with turn-based feature. Nothing beats the Civilization series, not even Mi¢ro$oft's Age of Empire real-time strategy game.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

LOL!

Yeah, there are probably quite a few genres that I either forgot to list, or could not list due to a limit of only 10 options in the polls.
    For that, I will entertain you all with my Klingon rendition of Edelweiss, as punishment to myself for....

AUDIENCE MEMBER: If you howl out that sorry excuse for Klingon sentimentality one more time---I'm gonna hit you with a lead tomato!

Well, so much for that.

I do have to say, when it comes to actions in a videogame, I cannot stand Turn based. If someone is taking a shot at me, I prefer to be able to dodge incoming fire, rather than stand there and dread the apocalyptic damage about to be inflicted upon me and my party by some 100th level boss. I guess I've always been a stickler for real-time combat. YEEK!

Respectfully,
    General Chang
    "So the Enterprise is on her maiden voyage, eh? Now that is one well endowed lady. Ah'd like to get mah hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the bit o' engineerin' parlance." -Scotty, STAR TREK, 2009

Arrow Re: LOL!

Originally posted by General Chang

I guess I've always been a stickler for real-time combat. YEEK!
    Some games I don't mind real-time like Diablo. Other games where you control a party of various characters or a vast empire with many different cities on the verge of developmental progress or a major riot by yourself, turn-based is a convenience.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer