Thread: Jackill's Starfleet Reference Manuals

Question Jackill's Starfleet Reference Manuals

I've had all of these refernce books by Erik Kristiansen for some time and they are the most detailed fleet break down of TMP era I've seen in some time as well as detailed on internal structures and shuttles/ships carried (we might have to rethink the sizes rule a bit).
    I'm floating the idea of converting them over for use, but I"m going to pop off a letter to erik to ask for permissions before I do this, becuase I'd like to get his permissions to put images of these things on the site. I was wondering if there was any interest.
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

lots of views...but nary a comment
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

I have one of these, and wish to someday get the rest

For my money theya re very very good stuff. But very very very non-canon.

I wouldn't know who to send a e-mail to, but I think EK knows some of the folks around here, so you never know

Talking

Heh, I know, but they read like a Janyes and Canon keeps getting redefinned every few years anyway. I'm merely intending to stat them out and try to figure them into the Timeline. The fact they use militaristic names instead of 'explorer' does not negate the utility of the design. Currently working on a long list of Torpedoes, Probes, and Satellites with P&P modules for them to be used by the players. should be posting those soon.

Cool

Just thought I'd mention that you can find just about all of Erik's sheets at Gilso Star Trek Schematics (can't locate the URL at the moment). Look in the fan sections. Gillan has nearly all of them.
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

Look around on here for my version of the Solaris. It's from Jackill's
    Anyone who still uses Frames for a website should be shot.
    Does your sig area really need to be bigger then your post?

When you pop off that letter to Jackill (Erik Kristiansen), ask him when he'll update his site (www.jackill.com) and where might one purchase said manuals...have the first two and have been looking for the 3rd (missed it ebay ).
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

I got an email from Eric the other night.

Apprently he is redoing Jackill's Guide to Starship's and releasing (re-releasing?) it sometime next year.

I have the three volumes of ships. If he's going to release a new version, that's cool... I just hope he uses more interesting names. The old books' ship lists read like a random list of people's last names, most of the time.*

*There may be a reason the ships were named what they were. If there is, I'd like to know what it is.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

I already have permission to stat up, draw up, and CODA-ise Erik's shuttles and carriers (and a few other ships) and will be doing so in an upcoming collection.

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard
    I already have permission to stat up, draw up, and CODA-ise Erik's shuttles and carriers (and a few other ships) and will be doing so in an upcoming collection.
    You're gonna need a bigger fire for all them irons!
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two
    I have the three volumes of ships. If he's going to release a new version, that's cool... I just hope he uses more interesting names. The old books' ship lists read like a random list of people's last names, most of the time.*

*There may be a reason the ships were named what they were. If there is, I'd like to know what it is.
    I met Eric at a con in the 90's. At the time we were both members of the Galactic Engineers Concordance (GEC) which published a Treknology zine. He told me that the names for his ships came from random pages of phone books. Yes they were people's last names. I always thought this was the part of the three books that lacked the most. But I'd rather have the good art and stats if the ship names were lacking.

I have the three volumes plus the Jackill's guide to Light Attack Craft (published before the three volumes). I've also enjoyed his technical readouts. I'm currently using the USS Crocket, A Michael Adam Class Scout from Vol 3 in my current Star Trek RPG Campaign.
    -=/\=-
    CaptCStark

I asked him (Eric) awhile back and he gave permission to stat the books out. He did ask that any graphics from the book be kept to a minimun, enough for the reader to get an idea but not so much that it's lifting from the book chapter & verse.