Thread: [CODA] A question on Megaphaser cannon

[CODA] A question on Megaphaser cannon

For those who are unfamiliar with these, these are the nasty rollbar phasers seen on the Reliant and several other starships. they are described as having the range of a phaser bank, but having the punch of a photon topedo. Any suggestions for mechanics on this?
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

I would treat them like normal pulse phasers. Just make them a little bit more powerful than the standard phasers for a ship of its size and classification.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

Hmmm...that seems to work, but I'd hate to give another weapons track on the ship considering it's the primary phaser armarment. May have to.
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Originally posted by BouncyCaitian
    Hmmm...that seems to work, but I'd hate to give another weapons track on the ship considering it's the primary phaser armarment. May have to.
    There wouldn't be a need for a second track, BC. Just as when you have multiple types of phasers (or other beam weapons) you would combine the Offensive Value for both to arrive at the penetration value. And the Weapons damage track applies to all weapons anyway...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Talking

Originally posted by Doug Burke
    There wouldn't be a need for a second track, BC. Just as when you have multiple types of phasers (or other beam weapons) you would combine the Offensive Value for both to arrive at the penetration value. And the Weapons damage track applies to all weapons anyway...
    Ah okay thanks...still learning how the construction system works.

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy
    Just give a phaser the enhanced or pulse edge. I remember those mega-phasers from FASA. I don't know if they're canon or not, but getting the effect you're looking for shouldn't be hard.
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!", annonymous American Marine, WWI

"Gravity is a harsh mistress....", The Tick

As far as i know the Mega-Phasers are not canon, can't find an official reference.Cool concept though. I would agree with the pulse upgrade.

But its your game ,Caitian. Canon is whatever you decide it is.
    Last edited by Lowly Uhlan; 08-02-2003 at 03:19 PM.
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf