Thread: What's the difference?

What's the difference?

I heard that the TV show Enterprise will have a type of "Marines" onboard. A special unit to handle, I guess hostile away mission (what a gutless era, in about 100 years they do away with them and the captain with his senior officers bare the burden but I digress), so I decided to add them to my campaign (due to the civil war in the Romulan Empire cause by the events in Nemesis). So as I was creating them as special forces elite profession I ran across the Starfleet Rangers. I understand the role of the (United States) U.S. Rangers and the U.S. Marines in our world but are they different in the Star Trek world? In shorter words, is the SF Rangers, the SF Marines? I know Marines and Star Trek are a no no so perhaps they call it Rangers instead? I would think not but I maybe wrong, thoughts please? Thanks in advance!

7 of 11
    A
    7 of 11
    Bored of Borg?
    Try the new Species 8472!
    Hard to kill, Harder to find!

First off lets not get into yet another flame war on the subject!

I prefer Ground Forces, and I prefer them to exist in my game.

Away Team Certified = Most of your main trek characters. Yes I do have this as a rule in my game, basically just minimum requirements.
    Ground Forces = Basic Grunts, the core of your forces. (US Army)
    Rangers = Highly Trained, but still doing some grunt work. (Army Special Forces, US Marines)
    Rapid Response Teams = Highly specialized units (USN Seals, MIB operations)

disclaimer: I know there are other countries with the same concept, I just don't know what they are called. Sorry.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Yes let's not raze anyone around here...

Ok that's kinda what I'm looking for, Rangers are like U.S. Marines so there I have it SF Rangers it is! Thank you Phoenix I need highly motivated and trained soldiers because WAR is just over the horizon in my campaign!

7 of 11
    A
    7 of 11
    Bored of Borg?

Are you playing CODA or LUG Trek?
    Kronok

I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly because we are Jem’Hadar. Remember, victory is life.

"The D20 System is the heart of the classic fantasy roleplaying experience, the game that has taught us all how to be munchkins. There is no way we could do it with any other system."

Latest and greatest

CODA, is there a difference between the two systems for Marines and Rangers?
    7 of 11
    Bored of Borg?

The systems are just vastly different.

In LUG, you could create Tours of Duty to reflect a Marine/Ranger skill base or just spend your development points appropriately.

In CODA, I would have the character choose the profession Security Officer (Starship Officer) and then purchase the Special Forces Elite Profession on page 166 of the Player’s Guide (Read this. It is what the game designers suggest for Starfleet’s Rapid Response Teams and Rangers).

One flaw of the CODA system, however, is the fact that you must create an advanced character (A few advancements to start out) and use your points to purchase the prerequisites AND points to purchase the Elite Profession.

In LUG, you just buy the skills that seem to fit the character concept.
    Kronok

I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly because we are Jem’Hadar. Remember, victory is life.

"The D20 System is the heart of the classic fantasy roleplaying experience, the game that has taught us all how to be munchkins. There is no way we could do it with any other system."