Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [CODA-Starship] Enterprise (NX-01) era ships

Excelent job. I particularly liked the way you have the Vulcan ships with only phasers but much better protection - so in a fight with the Andorians they would be fairly evenly matched.

Without (hopefully) starting another flame war on the Romulan Warp Drive, perhaps the magnetic bottle could be recharged if you could find a rich enough source of deuterium (all in one go) such as the upper atmosphere of a gas giant? maybe someone could develop something like a portable magneitc bottle charger - a small station they can fit in a shuttebay, and leave to charge up their magnetic bottle, for example in a gas giant atmosphere. Perhaps only larger command carriers can carry them, or several ships bring smaller one's and chain them together to rapidly build a small facility (like they build space stations today )? Just a thought.. and it could give some interesting missions in a Romulan battle - can the NX crew find their hiddem warp power source, disable it and cripple the local Romulan fleet ? ;D
    Ta Muchly

Neat idea Tobian

Snake,

As of the Episode "Marauders" Klingons vessels have transporters even freighters. And they seem to be in common use. Just a minor update for ya bud.

Thumbs up

Neat idea Tobian
    I second that

And IG thanks for the notice- there's plenty of stuff like that where I have little or no info; I'm really trying to catch up on Enterprise. If you guys catch more errors like that please let me know.

Thanks for the compliments

Has anyone got any ideas for something like that? Perhaps you could give a size 2-3 vessel a warp core allotment big enough for a larger ship. I think the upcoming Expanded Starships book has a nice modularity edge which would fit here, and you barelly need anything else, other than a very low level operations ability, decent manouvering thrusters and armour plating (it is in a gas giant atmosphere!) and nothing more than the free sensors you get with a 0

Or perhaps you could simply say it has a very weak power plant and pit the magnetic bottle in a large storage compartment (perhaps spending almost all of it's space on cargo unit's) - since it's just taking up space - it doesn't give anything to the ship?
    Ta Muchly

Soomething else to think about snake.
    Ex-Astris lists the lengths of the vulcan and Andorian ships at about 500m. In the episodes the ships are at least 1.5 to 2 times as long as enterprise. When they are seen travelling side by side.

Ha that one I did on purpose: I wasn't too keen on having Ent-era ships from future members of the Federation which are larger than the Constitution class and almost as large as the Ambassador or the Vor'Cha ( )- so that's why I made them significantly larger than the NX-01 but not by that much.

a thought on ship size.

true...but you must remember that many ships types in Earth history usually start out bigger, and technological refinements make them either a) smaller and same performance, or much nastier because you can fit more in them.

And I won't go into the whole Explorer/Cruiser argument. but it is an idea.
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Well if you take the evolution of Starfleet's flagships, starting with the Constitution you'll see that the tendency is bigger ships, not smaller. You have the Constitution, the Excelsior, the Ambassador and the Galaxy. Only the Sovereign breakes the trend- but it owes as much to the warship as the explorer. Same thing goes for the Klingons: the K'tinga, the Vor'Cha then the Negh'Var- they're always getting bigger.

moot point anyways, come to think of it- the Vulcan designs are about 1.5-2 times the length of the NX-01; the Andorian ship is less than 1.5 but whenever we'll get ship schematics in a ST mag I'll adjust the designs. Shouldn't affect that much the CODA size rating anyways.
    Last edited by Snake_Plissken; 08-18-2003 at 10:47 AM.
    "No captain kicked ass, took names, outsmarted the machines, and then scored the babes like the Kirkmeister" -Liquidator Queeg

I think that the size clasifications are sufficiently abstract to get away with gaining or loosing a few meters here and there - their actual sizes aren't relevant in any sense, unless you have to fly them through spacedock doors.. when it might be a problem for ships the size of the galaxy class

With regards to vesel sizes, you are right to a point about them getting bigger.. because almost every ship fielded by the federation after the galaxy class (with the exception of the Titan mentioned in Nemisis, which hasn't been seen, so it could be a misnomer ) have been smaller. Ships from the future such as the Relativity and Braxtons's time ship as well as the various time pods have been very small - yet very potent!
    Ta Muchly

What is the Andorian Warship ? Is it Shran's ship from Enterprise ?

Indeed it is Stephan

Ah wonderful :-)

Should the Andorian warship be a bit faster? I remember the episode where they featured Shran and his ship(Proving Ground), he mentioned his ship was faster than the NX-01.
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

If it is then I'll have to alter the design a bit. Mind you, I haven't watched ENT in over a year.
    "No captain kicked ass, took names, outsmarted the machines, and then scored the babes like the Kirkmeister" -Liquidator Queeg