Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for Doug and all LOTR Narrators

Software

I forget what prgram I used when I made indexes back at school, but it would not help here as that program searched the text and basically made it for us. Since we can't search the text electronically, we do have to do it the old fashioned way. For just sorting them it would be easy enough to use excell, I would think.

Gavynn

I'm leaning toward Excel too. Access is just a huge pile of confusion for me.

Say no to Access

Use excell -

NOT ACCESS!! Noooooooo!!!!

Gavynn

Hey Ineti,

If you want I would be willing to help pull references for you. May be you could pass out some key words to a few of us and we could make a list of pages we can find with that reference. If you gave each key word to a few people that wanted to help we could probable search and get most of them. Just an idea. I am more than willing to help and I am sure others here would be willing to help. Let us know if we can do anything. The index would be very usefull and since it looks like Decipher is not against the idea I would love to see it sooner rather than later.

mcb
    Matthew Birch
    mcb8@po.cwru.edu

How goes the index?

mcb
    Matthew Birch
    mcb8@po.cwru.edu

Did you get my PM, Matthew?

Haven't touched it recently. I had another project to finish this weekend, and am working on my chronicle. The index is happening when it can happen.

Re: Maybe use a WIKI for the index ...

Originally posted by eolruin
    I personal would suggest the use of a WIKI (like fi. www.zwiki.org) so all interested could help.

WIKI's are a great thing for collaborative work.

But this would unfortunatly need a webserver to be used.

But there are also lots of free WIKI's out there.

My Two Cents,
    Eol
    Wikis are great for online colaboration, but not for pretty output.

If you want help getting it all together, a fan authored wiki would be great for gathering the data.

If you want to print in multiple formats, I would suggest XML/XSLT to hold/view the data. For example:

Code:
    <INDEX>
      <TOPIC Name="Combat"> 
        <PAGEREF Book="Core Rules" Pages="xxx-zzz" />
        <TOPIC Name="Initiative">
          <PAGEREF Book="Core Rules" Pages="yyy" />
        </TOPIC >
      </TOPIC >
    </INDEX>

Re: Re: Maybe use a WIKI for the index ...

Originally posted by MightyCthulhu
    If you want help getting it all together, a fan authored wiki would be great for gathering the data.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm going to stick with Excel. If someone wants to take the data I assemble in Excel and turn it into a web product, they'll have my blessing.