Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are the best TNG episodes?

What are the best TNG episodes?

I've been thinking of buying just separate videos of my favorite TNG episodes instead of buying the complete DVD collection (trendy thing nowadays). I know .. All Good Things and Yesterday's Enterprise are must haves, but i'm not really sure what are the others worth buying (its been a long time since i saw TNG episodes)? So what do you guys and gals recommend.

I'd say most of the 3rd, 4th, and 5th seasons. Too many good episodes to pick from.

Best of Both Worlds Pts I & II are two eps I always come back to.

Also, Face of the Enemy (Romulan ep go figure), Below Decks, The Defector (Romulan again), I think it was Starship, Mine (the one where Picard pulls a Diehard.) and The Wounded. Are also big favs with me.

I'll probably think of others later.

I also liked "Genesis" very much, where the whole crew developes backwards.

there are also two Romulan episodes, I really liked. One was where Picard, Troi, Geordi and another one I don't remember return from a conference and find Enterprise frozen in time in combat with a Romulan warbird. Its quite interesting.

The other one is concerning the Romulan phase shift cloak where Geordi and Ro Lare become phase shifted.

"Pegasus" is a nice Starfleet conspiracy episode. Where we learn that Riker actually has a blackmark in his career and the Admiral tries to regain the illegal cloaking decive.

As one of the more funny episodes I can think of one where Picard, Guinan, Keiko and Ro Laren are transformed into children. Its quite funny when Enterprise is boarded, etc. Nice one.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

I don't have episode titles in front of me, but my fave episodes were both Romulan-themed ones, despite the fact that most of the other Romulan episodes seemed to be pretty awful.

The first one dealt with the Romulan turncoat, with all of those lovely Shakespearian riffs in it -- great story all the way around, a fantastic study in loyalty, triple-crosses, and what it truly means to be an exile.

The other one was where Troi woke up on the Romulan ship as a Romulan, not knowing how she got there. The whole cat-and-mouse aspect of the episode was fantastic and it put to rest the tale that Sirtis could not act -- she had been given bad lines, bad situations, but once she was given a role with real meat on the bones, she was fantastic!

Just trying to think of some episodes that haven't been mentioned yet - as all of those brought up are definitely worth having - "The Hunted", clunky dialogue aside, was the closest TNG offered to a Khan Singh-type opponent (my brothers and I just about had a meltdown when Worf confronted Danar in the cargo transporter), "The High Ground", "Legacy" (Tasha's sister - rrrowll - makes a visit to the ship), and "The Drumhead" (TNG at its finest).

Others of note include "Peak Performance", "Conspiracy" (one of the most violent television shows I can remember watching), "Chain of Command, Parts I and II" (great character conflict and an excellent guest appearance by Ronny [Dick Jones! I work for Dick Jones!] Cox and David Warner), and, from sixth and seventh seasons, "Tapestry", "Decent, Parts I and II" and "Gambit, Parts I and II" (Robin Curtis - rrrowll - does the guest thing as a Vulcan Isolationist Movement terrorist).

Originally posted by Ramage
    I don't have episode titles in front of me, but my fave episodes were both Romulan-themed ones, despite the fact that most of the other Romulan episodes seemed to be pretty awful.

1) The first one dealt with the Romulan turncoat, with all of those lovely Shakespearian riffs in it -- great story all the way around, a fantastic study in loyalty, triple-crosses, and what it truly means to be an exile.

2) The other one was where Troi woke up on the Romulan ship as a Romulan, not knowing how she got there. The whole cat-and-mouse aspect of the episode was fantastic and it put to rest the tale that Sirtis could not act -- she had been given bad lines, bad situations, but once she was given a role with real meat on the bones, she was fantastic!
    1) "The Defector" is the title of the ep. Admiral Jarok will forever be one of my all time favourite Trek characters. Oh, and the play was Henry V. A certain Klingon General liked this one two.

2) "The Face of the Enemy" is the title of this one. Troi shows she has fangs in this one.

I enthusiastically second the votes for "The Wounded" and "The Hunted". Both shows highlight veterans' issues, and that really speaks to me, for some unknown reason.

For a light episode with lotsa laughs, I like "A Fistful of Datas" and "Menage a Troi".

I'm surprised nobody else has said "Darmok". Now that's a story worth watching again.

Doh! Almost forgot the episode where Data had a girlfriend. "In Theory" was the title, I think. Lots of funny moments, good character stuff for Data, and a poignant ending. A couple more great Data episodes were the ones where he was on trial for the right to live his own life, and the one where he built a daughter.
    Last edited by Sarge; 08-09-2003 at 09:59 AM.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

The Offspring
    Measure of a Man
    The Drumhead
    The Inner Light

.. more as soon as I figured out the episode names.
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

"You know this roleplaying thing is awfully silly, let's just roll the dice." - overheard during a D&D 3E game.

I'm glad someone else mentioned Darmok. I've lost count of how many times I've watched that one. The Wounded is also excellent.

Othere faves of mine would be Who Watches the Watchers, Best of Both Worlds, Inner Light, Yesterdayt's Enterprise. To name but a few

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

no no no you guys are all wrong...

the absolute BEST TNG episode ever is "Shades of Grey"

"Captain, I'm concerned about Crewman Snake Plissken. I sense great confusion in his mind."
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Your not kiddin' Sarge...

Quote:
    Amazon.com
    "Shades of Gray" was one of the weakest episodes of TNG's first two seasons and proved a particularly flat finale for season 2. It's hard to believe that, in only two seasons, the writers had come up so dry that they cobbled together a kind of greatest-hits show, in which much of the episode consisted of filler from earlier programs. The nominal plot involves Will Riker (Jonathan Frakes), who is scratched by a thorn on an unfamiliar planet while doing a geological survey. The thorn injects him with microbes that begin to infiltrate his nervous system, and it's up to Dr. Pulaski (Diana Muldaur) to figure out how to stop the organism from killing Riker. She discovers that stimulating Riker's memory with electricity has an effect, but happy memories strengthen the invading organism--so she must find a way to provoke Riker's worst memories to negate the organism's hold.

Frakes spends much of the episode flat on his back, simulating sleep, while director Rob Bowman cuts to a collection of clips from earlier episodes. The positive memories all have to do with his prowess with women, as he cuts a swath through the known universe. The negative vibes come from clips of the death of Tasha Yar and the few episodes in which Riker was the crew member in the most jeopardy. Mostly the clips serve as a survey of the various facial-hair fashions Frakes sported in the first two seasons. --Marshall Fine
    End Quote---

But what can you expect from a guy whom uses a bad MTV ripoff of Ed the Sock ('Triumph The Insult Comic Dog' my as...) to defend his views of...'That show' made by 'Them'...he's pretty well peddling his own brand of oil ('Snake' that is) .
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

I would also like to state on record that I now love Attack of the Clones.

This has nothing to do with the new experimental drugs those funny men in white are testing on me.

seriously, Triumph rules...

"yeah yeah that was a fine reply...

FOR ME TO POOP ON"