Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: T'pol's uniform

Arrow Re: Re: Re: Re: What have we come to?

Originally posted by Dan Gurden

But I guarantee you that I certainly like to look at a fine female form in a skin tight bodysuit with a plunging necklines.
    True, but we're talking about one of the main characters here, who happens to be a Vulcan. I mean I can understand if she's Andorian, Alpha Centauran, or perhaps a newfound friend from newly-contacted Betazed.

Now, unless it is a regulation uniform (which would disappoint me more about the consultant and production crew of this show), I don't see what reason for the sudden change from her last season's uniform to bright blue with plunging neckline.

I mean she's sexy enough as it is, as producers always find a way to add the decon chamber scene (which BTW is adjacent to the shuttlebay, right?) and her own quarter scene in which she is down to her mini-sweattop and shorts * drools openly *

I mean what's next? T'Pol's Lingerie Calendar 2004?

P.S. On a serious note, this is what I'd like to see this season:
    1. Mayweather's love interest
    2. Hoshi Sato's secret past
    3. Reed's sexuality (still in question)
    4. Tucker's dramatic role while keeping his shirts on
    5. Archer tackling pre-PD situations
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What have we come to?

Originally posted by REG

P.S. On a serious note, this is what I'd like to see this season:

3. Reed's sexuality (still in question)
    I didn't think it was still in question?He has a woman in every port.how many goodbye letters was he writing in "Shuttlepod 1" eps? 5 or 6!!Wish I had that problem of trying to figure out what to say to that many women in a good-bye letter....On second thought NO I don't.(I'd end up mixing them up & send 'em to the wrong woman.)
    Personally I like the new uniform,much better tham the old one.It made her look anorexic,& this one dosen't.

Arrow Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What have we come to?

Originally posted by WarriorKnight

I didn't think it was still in question?He has a woman in every port.how many goodbye letters was he writing in "Shuttlepod 1" eps? 5 or 6!!Wish I had that problem of trying to figure out what to say to that many women in a good-bye letter....On second thought NO I don't.(I'd end up mixing them up & send 'em to the wrong woman.)
    Really? I thought he was in denial.

Personally I like the new uniform,much better tham the old one.It made her look anorexic,& this one dosen't.
    Personally, made her look flamboyant, going from dark to light color scheme. They could have change the design on the other costume so it won't look like she's anorexic.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

You guys actually think that neckline is particularly plunging or revealing? I mean, you can get more skin on Trading Space - especially with all that bending over while painting and pulling up carpet.

Seriously, I think it's sad TPTB feel the need to 'entice' their audience in this way. I also think this costume is no big deal. Her previous one did indeed make her look anorexic. Of course all the chemical abuse wasn't helping her much.
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Arrow

I can't help myself. I still think Starfleet is a structured paramilitary organization. I like each officers to be well-presented. I've yet to see an armed force that allow such clothing with plunging neckline as a regulation uniform.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Originally posted by REG
    I can't help myself. I still think Starfleet is a structured paramilitary organization. I like each officers to be well-presented. I've yet to see an armed force that allow such clothing with plunging neckline as a regulation uniform.
    Depends on one's job, one's mission, and the preferences of one's chain of command.

Check out a similar debate thread regarding Troi's uniforms here.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

Well, according to the fan arena, T'pol's "uniforms" will be varying. The character is supposed to be leaving the Vulcan High Command to serve as an independent on Enterprise . Therefore, she's a civilian and will probably be wearing whatever clothes she chooses.

Anyway, a pic of a new costume is available at StarTrek.com

I like this one much better than that blue "Buck Rogers In The 25th Century" monstrosity.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

Arrow

If she is going to serve aboard Enterprise with a Special Civilian Status, then I may, MAY, condone her wearing that suit. Of course, that would take her out of the ship's chain of command.

I still can't help but the wardrobe being out of character for a Vulcan. If she wore the same style of clothing as Spock's former betrothed T'Pring, then I would find it acceptable.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Originally posted by REG
    I still can't help but the wardrobe being out of character for a Vulcan. If she wore the same style of clothing as Spock's former betrothed T'Pring, then I would find it acceptable.
    But then, T'Pring was on Vulcan and it seems Vulcan clothes are particular - if we take into account the white robe Spock wears in ST IV. T'Pol's uniform could very well be a standard Vulcan female uniform (like the strange ones with helmets in the beginning of ST IV).

And anyway, Vulcans in ENT are not exactly like the ones we're accustomed to (but this is another debate...)
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Arrow

Originally posted by C5

And anyway, Vulcans in ENT are not exactly like the ones we're accustomed to (but this is another debate...)
    True, but since they are a long-lived race, their sense of fashion do not change very often as humans do.

I just have to keep telling myself that ENT does not exist in the same reality as the previous Trek series and movies. Although it is going to be difficult to keep that rationale since the franchise, who initially did not want to add "Star Trek" to the title, is reversing their decision. This fall, it will be Star Trek: Enterprise.

Sad, isn't it?

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Originally posted by REG
    True, but since they are a long-lived race, their sense of fashion do not change very often as humans do.
    Mmmh... given that human's fashion tend to change every year or so , I don't think that being long lived would prevent Vulcans to change it a few times in a century.
    OTOH, I don't think changing fashions would be very logical. Then again, Vulcan logic has always been rather flexible (and Vulcans in ENT are not the most emotionless Vulcans we ever saw but that's another debate again ).
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Lightbulb

And on the subject of logical and the Vulcan apperel in Enterprise.

What more do you want there REG. Lets face it, thet are aboard a Starship, and there is always the possibility that the artificial gravity might give out, or a hundred other situations that might cause a problem with the traditional Vulcan dress (from running on up)...

So those loose fitting robes, and volumuous cloths (which I notice the Ambassadors are still wearing), which may well be suitable on a desert planet, are quite clearly an illogical choice of apparel for service-people aboard a starship...

So there, one very, very, minor prolem solved by the simple application of an ounce of imagination.

Jeez, we're roleplayers, you'd think that by now we would have learned to accept the stuff we dont like by re-writing it by now?
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Nice explanation, Dan. And one could even assume that StarFleet copied this idea when creating the uniforms worn in Kirk's era.

Now we'll assume the Vulcans at the end of First Contact took the time to don a traditional robe before making contact with the Earthlings...

Sooo... who wants T'Pol to wear traditional Vulcan's garb only to discover the artificial gravity is now as reliable as the holodeck in TNG ?
    Terry Pratchett

Ahh but your argument is flawed - as we see that Spok wore a rather fetching set uf underwear underneath those traditional Vulcan robes in ST IV - the Voyage home, when he was swimming with those wales. So it appears Vulcans have all the bases covered already :P
    Ta Muchly

Arrow

Originally posted by Dan Gurden

Jeez, we're roleplayers, you'd think that by now we would have learned to accept the stuff we dont like by re-writing it by now?
    I don't mind about us fans rewriting things. But I do mind about Braga rewriting things.

I'm not asking that T'Pol wear the robe, unless she's undergoing Kolinahr discipline. I just think she should wear sensible clothing that is subdued.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan