Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Starship Design -- Need Help!

Thumbs up

nice design!

just a note: you have to pick the lowest of the 2 propulsion reliability ratings- for the weapons you must add the OVs of the beam and missile weapon together to find the weapons' reliability.
    "No captain kicked ass, took names, outsmarted the machines, and then scored the babes like the Kirkmeister" -Liquidator Queeg

It's a small detail also but the speed of the QSD listed in the book is 9.99999 - a heck of alot faster than the Transwarp Drive (9.9999) as I raised in my tread about the Borg (no one responded too )

The Borg Photonic missiles also add a nice touch - really overpowering it's photon torpedoes !

Nicelly designed ship.
    Ta Muchly

Gabe, I'm not sure if it's allowed (strictly) in the rules, but if you took Unique system twice, instead of buying the QSD 3 times, you'd save yourself 4 space, which you could use to upgrade it's (or your impulse engines) repliability a little more.
    Ta Muchly

Oops. Figures I'd made some errors in writing up the stats, especially with the drives and the weapons. I'll fix it up Monday, since I don't have Starships on me at the moment (ahh, the joys of limited Net access through the county library).
    "Of course, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong." -- Dennis Miller

Hey 7of11 I'm at your service sir

About the design, I'd say Starfleet preferentially uses beam weapons to warheads. I'd remove maybe one launcher and add one more beam, but that's just me Otherwise be prepared to have your players rely solely on warheads...

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

MmmmMMMmmmmMMMmmmm yes, but those Borg Photonic Torpedoes ***Drool***

I'm thinking about totally refitting an Ambassador class ship with them for my Campaign setting.. should make it a real warhorse! (and being a heavy Cruiser you get a -1 to Beam AND Missile costs )
    Ta Muchly

Gabe,

Check out the Bradbury class at www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ You'll find it in the Advanced Starship Design Bureau. Twin navigational deflectors make me think it's a good candidate for modification to Quantum Slipstream Drive.

Now for something completely different, where do you live in North Carolina? I'm always desperately seeking fellow gamers.

Edit: Can't get that darn link to work. You can find it by searching for ex astris scientia.
    Last edited by tmutant; 08-25-2003 at 10:31 AM.
    tmutant

Founder of the Evil Gamemasters Support Group. No, Really.

Originally posted by Gabe Mitchell
    Unlike the Galaxy class explorer, however, the Odyssey class, when separated, give full warp capability to each section;

Once a ship is seperated it is considered two seperate spacecraft surely. Therefore wouldn't you need two warp drives in the design for this feature to work?

Just a thought. Otherwise an excellent design.
    We have all your working biros and we're not afraid to use them.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

::goes to a wall and beats his head against it repeatedly::

This is what I get for trying to keep a quad-nacelle design of a similar vein to the Prometheus-class light cruiser (which I disagree with... I'd think it should be at least a normal cruiser, if not a heavy cruiser or battle cruiser, but that's just me). I forgot to think about a second warp drive for the other sub-ship... of course, I also admit that I'm considering just up-sizing the Prometheus-class (probably to a heavy cruiser) and re-working my attempt at the Odyssey-class into something like that.

tmutant: I'm up in the mountains, alas... about 30 miles from Asheville. Stanley, IIRC, is somewhere in the Albemarle/Salisbury area, isn't it? (I went to Pfeiffer College the year before they changed their name to Pfeiffer University, back in '95-'96, and I think that was likely the closest I was to your neck of the woods.)

Edit: As a slight aside, I checked the Prometheus-class stats last night from Starships. Somehow (and this is assuming I did my calculations correctly), the Prometheus-class light cruiser is using 123 spaces on a size 7 light cruiser spaceframe which only allows 99 spaces for systems... is this some sort of error on Decipher's part that they accidentally missed in editing?
    Last edited by Gabe Mitchell; 08-26-2003 at 09:36 AM.

Edit: As a slight aside, I checked the Prometheus-class stats last night from Starships. Somehow (and this is assuming I did my calculations correctly), the Prometheus-class light cruiser is using 123 spaces on a size 7 light cruiser spaceframe which only allows 99 spaces for systems... is this some sort of error on Decipher's part that they accidentally missed in editing?
    I wouldn't be surprised.
    We have all your working biros and we're not afraid to use them.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

Thought so. Of course, just to be thorough, I checked each of the sub-ships. While the figure came a lot closer to the supposed maximum space listed, it was still over... by 4 spaces, IIRC, rather than the 24 for the combined ship. Weird.

::goes to a wall and beats his head against it repeatedly::

tmutant: I'm up in the mountains, alas... about 30 miles from Asheville. Stanley, IIRC, is somewhere in the Albemarle/Salisbury area, isn't it? (I went to Pfeiffer College the year before they changed their name to Pfeiffer University, back in '95-'96, and I think that was likely the closest I was to your neck of the woods.)

Stanley is about 20 miles west of Charlotte, in Gaston County, which isn't really any closer. Mores the pity. Two hour commute to role-play, anyone?
    tmutant

Founder of the Evil Gamemasters Support Group. No, Really.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    More likely, the ship was changed in the editing process from the original numbers that Don Mappin calulated. From what I have seen, Don is very good at keeping his space calculations tight.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz