Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Serious topic

Unhappy OT: Serious topic

Hi,
    Normally I wouldn't ask this sort of thing, but I'm at my wits end at this point. Being that I work in IT support center, and this is a very high stress environment, I'm starting to get to the point of starting to get angry with people (which I've never done before).
    I'm feeling a rather bad case of burn out and it's making me twichy when dealing with those around me. And I'm getting a rather black case of depression starting to come on.
    Sadly, the only hobbies I have at the moment help me socialize and feel better after a bit, but I'm starting not to care about my work.

Suggestions? Ideas? Razes?
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?
    Well, these stories always improve my outlook about work.
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

I don't know if it's possible for you, but whenever I start feeling like this, I try to take a few days off and travel somewhere. Even a week end somewhere else can do wonders. Oh, and lots of sleep, too. This helps remaining calm with people (I'm very familiar with this problem...)
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

IT work is stressful. As is often said, if something goes right with it, nobody notices, but if something goes wrong you get nothing but cr** all day long.

Okay, a few suggestions.

Yeah, taking a couple days off (if they'll let you) would be great. Go somewhere with as few people as possible and listen to nothing in particular. Nice way to apply Drano for the brain

Go see a silly movie. Dumb can be great! Then you can come back and say, "Oh you're having a problem? Is it as bad as 'fill in the blank scene from movie'?"

Go somewhere with a friend or two (preferably not someone you work with) and REALLY rant about the place. Get ALL of it out. Then try talking about the things you like about the place. See if the two even out.

My dad was a safety engineer for the state of California. His job involved making sure pressure tanks did not blow up. In his 35+ years on the job only one small propane tank ever blew in his territory. But due to working around a lot of boilers the term SAFETY VALVE took on holy connotations in my family.

You need a Safety Valve, a way to blow off a bit of steam before you explode. I don't know what exactly will help, but please feel free to contact me off-board if you think that might help in the slightest.

Two ears, no waiting.

Buy a motorcycle & good on long rides once or twice a week. Best therapy you can get.

Secondary: buy a gun and go to the range. Really gets out the stress...trust me; I've been stressed for 15 years & I've never shot anyone. Or take up martial arts so you can bash the hell out of things. Same effect.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Many people who know me casually think of me as a pretty laid back guy when in honesty I'm probably one of those "Type A" personalities who keeps things under control.

One thing that I've found helps me is Tai Chi meditation exercises. In most decent-sized towns you can find someplace offering a class - often at a YMCA (that's where I help teach Tai Chi in my area). The thing I like about it is it is active - you are constantly in motion. Also it emphasizes balance - in the physical exercises keeping your balance if very important as you stand on one leg and pivot on your heel, kicking outward... The neat thing about that is I find it helps me with life in general, keeping things in perspective, reminding myself to stay mentally rooted, etc.

Also, be careful on the depression front. I know it's a pretty common term in our culture (i.e. "I'm feeling depressed" as a synonymn for "really down") but if you are thinking you might actually be experiencing depression, I'd definitely suggest seeing a medical professional about it - I've not experienced depression myself, but I've lived with someone who has and I can say it is a terrible thing to experience and it actually can be treated.

Take care of yourself.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

What is IT work? What do you do?
    Kronok

I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly because we are Jem’Hadar. Remember, victory is life.

"The D20 System is the heart of the classic fantasy roleplaying experience, the game that has taught us all how to be munchkins. There is no way we could do it with any other system."

Lightbulb

IT Work= Information Technology. Specifically, I'm one of the guy's who people call for help or to yell at (mostly yell at) when thier connection to the internet is not working. You would not believe how rude or foolish people can be in this area.
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

I guess you're already familiar with this comic ? If not, I'd suggest you to read it... its characters are precisely IT support guys, and that might cheer you up a bit.

That one deals also with tech support guys, only this time, they're not precisely here to help...
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

IT's a sucky job. If you're really unhappy, consider a change of venue or lifestyle -- a new place to work or job can help.

As for depression, I went through a crushing bout about 6 years ago while in government service. It took me until a year or so to really pull out of it. Here's how I survived (and I had actually nearly commited suicide...thank goodness for the active safeties on those H&K's.)

1. Get OUT! Do stuff with other people. I mean it; you hermit, you'll die. Depression's like a shark...stop swimming, you'll drown.

2. DO something! Anything. Motorcycle...say it with me...

3. Look at what's making you unhappy. If it's work: there's always another job. If it's where you live: save up for a few months and move. Try something competely different. If it's people, avoid them or punch 'em out. Come on, jail's not so bad and you have a date on Friday night... oof

4. Did I mention GET OUT and DO something?

5. See a professional, but be careful. They love to just throw drugs at you. Prozavc and all that crap only levels you serotonin and other nerotransmitter levels. It helps the biological causes, but ultimately, what got me through was I was determined not to get dragged down. Willpower conquers anything.

If you're having a lot of trouble sleeping, your serotonin's probably screwy. Instead of prozac, try melatonin to get the sleep cycle back on track. Take about 1 or 2 of the 3mg tablets (you can get 'em at any drugstore) for 3 or 4 days, then stop, otherwise, you're body will get used to it and you'll need to keep taking them. They should help for a few weeks at least; do it again in a couple of weeks, if you start having trouble again. (Melatonin is what serotonin breaks down into...)

Personally, I'd stear clear of the mental helath profession -- they'll hose you financially. Try changing the stuff bringing you down, first.

Having been through real, deep depression, if you starting thinking suicide or some such, email me at srhymer@comcast.net I'll try and talk you through (hell, an' I don't even know you...)

Courage.

"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Liz, what are the medical problems with melatonin?

BC, I'm gonna second (or is it third?) the motion that you change jobs. Were you planning on staying in IT as a lifetime career? Assuming the answer to that is "no", what do you want to do? Find an answer, then, like Nike says, "Just do it."
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

thanks for the replies people. it helps immensely. I was thinking of moving up from the help desk after getting my Cisco certification and moving into Network operations and away from the stupidity I see at the Desk (several types). considering how sucky the job market is right now, this seemed to be the wisest choice.

Originally posted by BouncyCaitian
    thanks for the replies people. it helps immensely. I was thinking of moving up from the help desk after getting my Cisco certification and moving into Network operations and away from the stupidity I see at the Desk (several types). considering how sucky the job market is right now, this seemed to be the wisest choice.
    Go for it then. Just DON'T LET DEPRESSION SET IN! Once it does it's like a downward spiral unless you have people to pull you out.

Get out and do some thing you like to do and socialize. If you got vacation time, Take it!

(And you guys thought you'd never see this. A Klingon acting as Councilor )

Hey BouncyCaitian,

I'm really sympathizing with your situation... I know customers can sometimes be... obtuse.

I went through a similar situation (albeit for totally different reasons) and I think, in my experience, qerlin sait it all. The medical profession is really recommended only if you have a psychological problem you are not aware of or negate, and thus can't solve on your own.

Best of courage in those rough times.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek