Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has anyone...

Right on, Sarge! I'm going to try that I think.

ICON Trek had interesting rules for a pirate universe in the Holodeck supplement. I wonder how that could be ported into CODA (since after all ICON can convert rather well to CODA).
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

You know, I've thought the exact same thing when I saw that movie! It could turn into a great adventure involving Gondor and the Corsairs of Umbar

For ship combat, Avalon Hill's Wooden Ships & Iron Men would be a good starting point
    I can't even being to say how long it has been since I have even thought about that game. Don't remember much about it, but I think it was a pretty through game.

Gavynn

Wooden Ships & Iron Men is just about perfect for simulating huge fleet actions like the Battle of Trafalgar. Whether or not it's detailed enough for one vs one ship duels is a matter of taste. If you're more into the roleplaying than the tactics of naval combat, it ought to be fine. Personally, I like to have a more detailed method of determining the result of each broadside, but any experienced GM with some knowledge of period ships can create house rules to fill in the gaps.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Ship designs

I have been using Coda LOTR for a fantasy setting of my own design for over a month now and, with minor tweaks, it works very well.
    Most aspects fit right in, although I did reduce the bonus DR of Mithril to plus 5 so that on the off chance anyone ever gets they're hands on any they won't quite be invincible.
    Funny you should bring up Wooden Ships & Iron Men Sarge, the whole reason I came to the forum today was to ask if anyone had created ship rules for LOTR. I have been considering adapting, very loosely adapting, the ship construction rules from Coda Trek. However that would be a fair amount of work and I thought I would see if anyone had already done it (I can be lazy sometimes).
    Unfortunately it doesn't seem like anyone has.
    Oh well. Fortunately we will not need ship rules for some time, giving me time to cobble them together.
    If anyone does feel inspired please feel free to post your ideas here. I, and my lazy side, would very much appreciate it.
    4. Shooting is not too good for my enemies.
    Evil Overlords Survival Guide

There are few problems in the galaxy which cannot be solved by a suitable application of concentrated phaser fire.
    Capt. Coryn Windsabre

I've always preferred photons myself.
    Cmdr. Marcus Aurelius Ferretti

I have no rules for ship combat (and I the LotR RPG is the only RPG that I have, so I have no existing sources to play off of), but I think it would be neat if somebody made some (why is everyone looking at me like that? ).

Anyway, I was wondering... if someone makes them, how complex of ship rules do you think they should be? Should they be rather simple (like the Basic Mass Combat Rules), a bit more complicated than that (like possibly the Unit Combat Rules, though, um, better designed ), or as realistic as possible (like you'd actually be able to make your ships do real-life maneuvers and such)?

I'm rather leaning towards both a set of Basic Mass Ship-combat Rules and Complicated Ship-to-ship-combat Rules being available (and also, connected with the Basic Mass Ship-combat Rules, would be something like the Hero Combat mechanic but for ships).

In fact... you could basically use the Basic Mass Combat Rules, and just use them for mass ship-combat battles, and modify the Hero Combat table slightly, while also making rules for ship combat that would be a lot like the normal combat rules. Maybe I can try it... I really know almost nothing about ships in a technical sense... but I do really enjoy books like Midshipman Quinn and movies like Pirates of the Caribbean, so I might it a try. I'm sure I can find some books that will at least give me a crash-course on ships, or at least a smattering of facts.

Don't look for it though; if it happens, it happens, and if it doesn't, it doesn't; I'm too busy with schoolwork to try and commit to more projects, especially after just finishing the grueling work on Barahir's Ring.

If you can find a copy of GURPS Swashbucklers, that also has rules for ship combat. It's along the same lines as the GURPS space combat rules, if you've seen that. And everybody knows that GURPS can be adapted to anything.

I'm still hoping GURPS will do a book devoted to sea adventures in the age of Nelson. With all the books about Hornblower, Aubrey & Maturin (soon to be a movie), Ramage, Bolitho, et al, there's no lack of inspiration for adventures in the genre. And of course, the history of the era is (IMO) some of the most interesting non-fiction I've ever read.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Originally posted by Sarge
    If you can find a copy of GURPS Swashbucklers, that also has rules for ship combat. It's along the same lines as the GURPS space combat rules, if you've seen that. And everybody knows that GURPS can be adapted to anything.
    Heh, I didn't know it, so thanks! Of course, I'm possibly the one person on this board who has had the least experience with RPGs, so, that's not too surprising.

Originally posted by Sarge
    I'm still hoping GURPS will do a book devoted to sea adventures in the age of Nelson. With all the books about Hornblower, Aubrey & Maturin (soon to be a movie), Ramage, Bolitho, et al, there's no lack of inspiration for adventures in the genre. And of course, the history of the era is (IMO) some of the most interesting non-fiction I've ever read.
    Very, very interesting time frame. The book I mentioned, Midshipman Quinn, is about a midshipman (duh) in the British Navy during the Napoleonic wars, and it's one of my favorite books.

GURPS Compendium II also has rules for ship to ship combat. Both a general system and detailed rules for the status of the PC's ship. The Compendiums are collections of rules so it might be the same as the Swashbucklers. I don't know.

Gavynn

Yes I have the various GURPS books, including Swashbucklers and Space, but I never really liked the way GURPS handled ship combat. Although I have to admit I really like the mass combat system in GURPS.
    Actually I think I have found the solution to ship combat in my game. If anyone is familiar with the game Space:1889 it has a supplement called Sky Gallions of Mars. The rules for SGoM work wonderfully for small vessels such as those in the Dark Ages. I am in the process of adapting the rules to CODA right now and will let everyone know how it turns out when I have a chance to run my players through them.
    Unfortunately it will probably be a while before my players are ready to go to sea, but I will see about playtesting them as soon as I can.
    I am not sure if the Space:1889 game is available anywhere now, but it is a great setting with some seriously lacklustre rules. Except for the ship rules which are inexplicably very cool.
    I have previously used the GURPS system for playing in the Space:1889 setting, but I think the CODA rules would work fine.
    4. Shooting is not too good for my enemies.
    Evil Overlords Survival Guide

There are few problems in the galaxy which cannot be solved by a suitable application of concentrated phaser fire.
    Capt. Coryn Windsabre

I've always preferred photons myself.
    Cmdr. Marcus Aurelius Ferretti

Hi newbie,

Firstly a quick note the health levels/wound penalty gig can be found in White Wolf's stuff & other places too.

The real reason I am posting is to say that CODA is 1 of the 3 systems IMHO that I ever need. The other is Adventure! & WoD(both of which are from White Wolf).

CODA by way of LOTR takes care of all the epic gaming I do (supplemented with a few things from Pendragon; mainly the stuff to handle really long downtimes & give that whole genrational feel to games).

Adventure! handles all the more pulp-type games I want to do (although BESM does add a few nice things).

A very limited (i.e. 5 books) smattering of WoD books handle any horror I want to do.

So yeah I would like a more general CODA book to come out meself.

PS.
    I too belong to the few book type of gamer. Although GURPS supplement are so good I am addicted. & I don't even play GURPS.
    Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

Like a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool returns to his folly.

I recently picked up a d20 supplement called Broadsides!. The ship stats and combat rules seem more realistic and well-researched than most d20 stuff, although not as detailed as GURPS. We haven't played it yet, but I think it's worth checking out for those of you interested in fantasy nautical adventures.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<