Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone...

Has anyone...

adapted this system for general use and not just as a ME rpg?

If so what changes have you made or would you make?

Harry Potter

I am currently in the middle of rewriting a combination of both LOTR (mostly) and Star Trek for use in a Harry Potter RPG. I've removed the use of orders, modified the experience/pick system, the skills list, and added my critical hit system; other than those things, it's pretty much the same.

Can you post your equivalent of a "core rulebook?"

I'd love a really good Harry Potter RPG.

RE: Harry Potter

Ya I'll do that when I'm done. It's about half finished at the moment and I'm re-reading the books to come up with the standard supplements (individual sourcebooks, creature compendium, etc.) as well as a spell list and how the magic system will work <-- one of the most important things to pull off in this RPG, just like LOTR.

Re: Has anyone...

Originally posted by AslanC
    adapted this system for general use and not just as a ME rpg?

If so what changes have you made or would you make?
    I've toyed with the idea of using CODA-LOTR as the basis for an RPG based on the Belgariad & Mallorean by David & Leigh Eddings. It'll give me an excuse to re-read all the books again, too...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

I've toyed with the notion of trying CODA Deryni (based on Katherine Kurtz's novels), and a Star Wars CODA. Haven't gotten too far with either due to time constraints.

I bet both the psionic powers of the Deryni and the Force would translate nicely, but it's just a matter of sitting down and working on it.

Gandalf, sounds like a great idea, but just a thought for you--depending on how much detail your 'core book' goes into, you might want to check with Decipher before putting it on the web. If it has most of the mechanics from the LOTR core book, Decipher might have a problem with you publishing them for free. Just a thought.

Sword & Sorcery

I think it would make the basis of a good S&S game, a la Conan, Fahfrd & the Grey Mouser, etc. Or a King Arthur game, or pretty much any setting that emphasizes action, story and heroism (like a Pirates game ;-).

The 'special' parts of the respective settings would be the toughest thing to work out, the key to promoting the feel of the setting.

GURPS sourcebooks are ripe for inspiration on Abilities/Edges/Orders, etc. The trick would be to determine what the main 'shticks' are for a given setting, and then working them into the mechanics somehow.

A little harder to pull off (and a lot more work, but still doable) would be a 20's/30's era Pulp game.

RE: Harry Potter

Oh there's no doubt I'd check first to make sure everything is ok.

I'm actually curious if anyone at Decipher has considered releasing a redone version of the CODA system as a generic fantasy RPG?

With some revision, the system could work for standard fantasy, or provide a nice rules set for other fantasy genres. With some work for unarmed combat, it would work fine for Asian-style fantasy, and the LotR version would work perfectly for a Robin Hood style of campaign.

I would love to see the CODA system done for a generic setting, as they got both a sci-fiction and fantasy system from it, I don't see it being hard to create a generic system, for us all to use. I know for myself I would buy it, Already own GURPS system book and a number of others like D20. I like the general systems because half the fun is coming up with worlds and history myself.

But CODA is not very much different from D20, really. IT has a couple of interesting points - but in the end it is almost just rolling 2d6 instead of d20. And some of the points that CODA has that d20 does not, GURPS has - another generic role playing game. I don't think that there is enough truely unique material or ideas that would make CODA "stand out from the crowd" when you take from it two big name franchises - Star Trek and Middle Earth.

Gavynn

Originally posted by GavynnAlexander
    But CODA is not very much different from D20, really. IT has a couple of interesting points - but in the end it is almost just rolling 2d6 instead of d20. And some of the points that CODA has that d20 does not, GURPS has - another generic role playing game. I don't think that there is enough truely unique material or ideas that would make CODA "stand out from the crowd" when you take from it two big name franchises - Star Trek and Middle Earth.
    I dunno... I'd call the advancement system pretty different, and the use of health levels and penalties to be quite different than d20. Last I checked, there was no Fate/Hero Point system in d20.

Each of those three sub-systems (and those are just off the top of my head) are not in GURPS either.

Yep, I like CODA for the True Hero Type games, GURPS and D20 are good for hero's who been put into a situation without meaning to. CODA is good for heroes that wanted to be there.

I dunno... I'd call the advancement system pretty different, and the use of health levels and penalties to be quite different than d20. Last I checked, there was no Fate/Hero Point system in d20.
    I think that the idea of the "advancements" is pretty GURPSish. In GURPS you are awarded character points to improve certain aspects of your character (rather than every aspect like in a levels system). CODA just mixed the experience point thing with a "character point" concept.

I have said before that the Heath system is something I have not encountered before and is a much needed improvement over the hit point totals of D&D. But that hardly makes a game system in itself and it would also be very easy to replicate the Heath system in d20.

As far as "hero points system" are you talking about courage? Rules for Hero/cinematic campaigns in GURPS can do about the same thing, if I recall. I have never played in one, but can't the GM allow players to save some of their starting character points? Then these points can be expended in the game to help the player do "heroic" thing (add a bonus to a roll or heal damage). I think it does about the same thing.

But still - I could run down a list of ideas that are in CODA that they just came up with a new name for a concept and applied it:

Order = Class
    Elite Order = Prestigue Class
    Difficulty Check (DC) = Target Number (TN)
    Edges = GURPS Advantages (can be d20 Feets)
    Flaws = GURPS Flaws
    Skills = Skills (I guess no one has a new word for "skills")
    Attributes = Basic Stats
    Reactions = Saves

CODA even uses the ideas that he raw values of your attributes means almost nothing on their own because they apply a modifier to all the rolls.

Really - rolling 2d6, adding a modifier to try to hit a number is not very unique or interesting. That kind of thing has been done all over the place. And with character generation VERY similar - there is not much left.

If you take away all the Tolkien stuff on races to much just generic "dwarf" or "elf" stats that you would have to have to make a "generic" game you loose even more allure. Right now there is a reason for everything not to be balanced - but can you pull of the unbalanced thing in a "generic" game? Maybe - it is just a hurdle. But if all the racial stats were brought into "balance" then you get even closer to D&D.

Yep, I like CODA for the True Hero Type games, GURPS and D20 are good for hero's who been put into a situation without meaning to. CODA is good for heroes that wanted to be there.
    I don't get it. I have played plenty of GURPS and d20 games were the heroes wanted to be there. Sounds like a game master/player/storyline issue to me, not a game mechanic thing. But even if it was - are you sure that CODA makes it that way or the Middle Earth game setting?

Gavynn

Pardon me...

That should have been d20 "feats" as in heroic deeds, not "feets" as in those things we walk on - temporary brain burp.

Gavynn