Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek: The Lost Era

The Sundered started out well and had good characterization but the plot line involving the displaced colony, while initially interesting, played around too much with the established background history.

I read and enjoyed The Sundered immensly.
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

Originally posted by JonA

Slightly OT. Is Commander Elias Vaughn a total creation for the novels or did he actually appear at all in any of the series? Just curious as he's a cool character.
    To the best of my knowledge, he appears only in the novels starting with the avatar series(I think).

I just started Art of the Impossible tonight at work, and it's shaping up to be another good Lost Era novel (I've read the other two already and really enjoyed them). Like Serpent Among the Ruins, this one has Elias Vaughn in it, too, though thus far he's only made a brief appearance (and I'm only on chapter 5, I think).

The thing that's surprised me about this book, so far, is that, while Col. Worf (who is apparently General Worf in the novel) is featured on the cover, he hasn't yet made an appearance in the story.

Still, with or without him, it's been a good read so far.

Greg

Originally posted by IceGiant
    To the best of my knowledge, he appears only in the novels starting with the avatar series(I think).
    Thanks. I'm thinking of crossing my Delta Quadrant campaign over into the Gamma Quadrant and having my players rendez-vous with Vaughn and the Defiant.

I think that he was in Battle for Betazed (TNG) novel before Avatar series btw. Thats when I first read about him anyway. But there seemed to be some alluded back story about him and Deanna Troi's family that caused much bad feeling between them. I just wondered where that came from.

It's also never really established his full history within Starfleet (he's obviously not Human because he's served for nearly 90 years). But he seems to be a rather black ops type of background and theres apparantly a long history between him and Picard - so plenty of untapped stories I'm sure for Cmdr Vaughn.
    We have all your working biros and we're not afraid to use them.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

It#s because there's been an injection of quality writing talent. Therefore the books are getting a slightly better reputation for quality writing, plotting and characterization.

Besides - it's good to return to the Trek universe, regardless of if it's canon or not, circa TNG onwards.

Slightly OT. Is Commander Elias Vaughn a total creation for the novels or did he actually appear at all in any of the series? Just curious as he's a cool character.
    I think he first appeared in was the Battle for Betazoid a TNG novel taking place about freeing Betazoid from the Dominion occupaton. I can be wrong as I have not read the novel, but think I read it in another thread on another board area. If I can find it I'll post it.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

Thanks. I'm thinking of crossing my Delta Quadrant campaign over into the Gamma Quadrant and having my players rendez-vous with Vaughn and the Defiant.

I think that he was in Battle for Betazed (TNG) novel before Avatar series btw. Thats when I first read about him anyway. But there seemed to be some alluded back story about him and Deanna Troi's family that caused much bad feeling between them. I just wondered where that came from.

It's also never really established his full history within Starfleet (he's obviously not Human because he's served for nearly 90 years). But he seems to be a rather black ops type of background and theres apparantly a long history between him and Picard - so plenty of untapped stories I'm sure for Cmdr Vaughn.
    Actually, the Avatar duology came out before "Battle of Betazed," so that would be his first published appearance. Chronilogically, though, his earliest appearance is (IIRC) "Serpents Among the Ruins".

What we know about Vaughn's background is spotty. He's known Picard for a long time, was close friends with Ian Troi, and believes the field jacket from ST2 was the best piece of away team equipment Starfleet ever came up with. Oh, and they've never really explained his vim and vigor after 90+ years in the fleet, but they have stated clearly a few times that he's human. (Of course, he could be an El-Aurian in disguise for all I know...)
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

I thought I'd revive this thread with the news that the latest Lost Era novel, Well of Souls, is now available (I'm going to start reading it either tonight or tomorrow, since work leaves me with lots of free time). It focuses on Captain Rachel Garrett and the USS Enterprise-C, which is something that I've been interested in for some time.

Despite that, if it holds form with the other Lost Era novels, then this one should be pretty good. I've enjoyed the other three thus far, and it's been my favorite Star Trek series of novels that I've read (though to be fair I haven't read many of the series).

On a side note, the next novel, due out next month, is called Deny Thy Father, and looks to focus on Kyle and Will Riker. That should be a good one, too.

Greg

Vaughn is human alright. The writers are going with the idea that many humans live to their 130's and 140's pretty easily due to advanced medicine and other health-related technology.

The man is 101 in 2376 and still going strong.

Originally posted by IceGiant
    To the best of my knowledge, he [Elias Vaughn] appears only in the novels starting with the avatar series(I think).
    Yes. Vaughn was created specifically for the post-DS9 re-launch and first appears in the "Avatar" two-parter.

However, he has also appeared in a post-TV series DS9/TNG cross-over comic book mini-series. I've forgotten the title of the mini-series but it involves Trills, terrorism, and Verad Dax. Cool story.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

Verad Dax... The name rings a bell, but I don't remember anything else. Which host was that?
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Verad (without Dax) appeared in DS9's "Invasive Procedures." He was a Trill who'd flunked out of the initiate program, and decided to steal the Dax symbiont and have it implanted in him.

He's a real nutball.

And the comic book short series is called "Divided We Fall."
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Originally posted by First of Two
    Verad (without Dax) appeared in DS9's "Invasive Procedures." He was a Trill who'd flunked out of the initiate program, and decided to steal the Dax symbiont and have it implanted in him.

He's a real nutball.

snip
    and , might I add, Played by John Glover. Currently playing Lionel Luthor on "Smallville"

Originally posted by Karg
    and , might I add, Played by John Glover. Currently playing Lionel Luthor on "Smallville"
    Yep. But nothing beat his portrayal of The Devil on "Brimstone."
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

OK, now I remember Verad. That was the Key Largo episode. The one with the particularly memorable moment when Jadzia sat up in her infirmary bed wearing nothing but a sheet and said, "I'm fine." Truer words were never spoken.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1