Thread: TOS on DVD?

TOS on DVD?

Does anyone know wether there are any plans to release TOS in it's respective season boxed sets as they have done recently with TNG and DS9? I know TOS is already available in region 1 (individual disks and 2 episodes per disk I think) but series boxed sets (especially if they're region 2) would be very nice =)

Anyone?

Crow

I don't know about that but I really hope these box sets will eventually exist !
    Because the existing individual disks of TOS are really expansive, compared to the TNG and DS9 sets.
    Njxt
    "Be nice, I'm new to a lot of things"

It seems almost certain that they will be re-released at some point, and when that happens, they'll probably be released as season sets. That seems to be the model for most shows, and even the ones that don't follow that model, only break the season into two to four sets (e.g. Andromeda).

But I'll bet it doesn't happen until after Voyager is released (almost certain to happen next year), and possibly Enterprise. You're probably waiting until 2008 or so before this happens.

Voyager is to be released ? Great !
    Do you know if the show will be released in DVD boxes or just in single DVDs comprising two episodes (just like TOS) ?

Considering that both TNG and DS9 were or are released in season boxes it seems extremely unlikely that the Voyager seasons will be split up. Although there hasn't been an official anouncement about anything concering Voyager on DVD the first season will probably be in stores early next year, like the other two shows before.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

DOes someone have any figures considering sales of thoses DVD box sets across Europe ?
    Are they good ?
    If they are, the studio might consider putting out TOS boxes earlier ?
    And perhaps Enterprise ....
    It isn't air in France, but is it the rest of Europe ?
    Njxt

Release Schedules

Ok. This is by no means official and is based upon a casual conversation I had with a friend who works for play.com.

But

There are tentative plans for Voyager to be released in 2004 in box set format. As with the TNG and DS9 series they will likely be seven disks (six of episodes plus an extras disk). Whether there will be a DS9 style CD-ROM in each box set is unknown. The release dates have not been confirmed hence they're not yet available for pre-order.

Enterprise may be released on 2004 as Season Box Sets too but again this has not been confirmed as Paramount are allegedly with a release schedule of releasing a DVD set at a rate of one a year. Which is what will effectively happen if they start release Enterprise whilst it still airs. I think they'd prefer to wait to the end of the series like has been done with pretty much every TV series (yes - there are exceptions like SG-1, SxitC but TNG, DS9, B5, Farscape were released post series completion).

As for TOS - no plans in the UK or Europe at this time.

But my friend did say Paramount Distribution outside of the US is hardly reliable and is prone to dramatic schedule changes including dramatic releases with little warning.

Oh and for all those that care (I doubt there's many who do) STV DVD Special Edition is due out at the end of Sept. With STVI Special Edition (yay!!!) due before chrimbo.

And as for sales. Good in the UK. Reasonable (meaning within expectations) in Europe.
    Last edited by JonA; 09-03-2003 at 09:58 AM.
    We have all your working biros and we're not afraid to use them.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

I seem to remember reading an article on trekbbs.com that mentioned the Voy DVDs would be out next year ( ) and that TOS season boxed sets might be out the following year.

I'm waiting for that. I have no interest in the current TOS DVDs. I'd rather buy a boxed set than shell out $20 or whatever for a 2 episode DVD.

If they're as much as the previous sets I'll be passing on them as well. From what I've seen/heard they're not worth the $100/box

And to explain myself better. I've been getting the Buffy/Angel DVD's for around $40-60 (depending on who's selling them, when, normal price is around $60 though) and it seems like Paramount is charging an extra $40 just for the Star Trek name. Ok, maybe $30 for the name, $10 for the boxes I own the TNG season 2 box (christmas gift) and rented the 1, 3, & 4 DVDs from Blockbuster and honestly, doesn't seem like there are all that many extras, certainly not worth the extra 30-40 dollars.

Maybe I'm mistaken and they've done better on DS9. To me their a luxurary, not a need, exp when I have 9/10 of the episodes on VHS. IF/When the price comes down I'd consider picking them up (or even cheap off Ebay or somewhere).
    Anyone who still uses Frames for a website should be shot.
    Does your sig area really need to be bigger then your post?

I don't own TNG (yet ) but I bought the first three seasons of DS9. Extras aren't essential either (imo) but they added the "virtual space station"disc. With each box you have your virtual space station "add-on": it's looks like a cardassian ship interface and you can't find information about episodes, characters, creatures, aliens ... Quite fun, I kinda like it but it's far from being crucial

Anyway, I must concede ST DVDs are somewhat expensive compared with other series (Babylon 5, for instance is much cheaper).

I'm not trying to discourage people from buying them. And to me it's the extras that make the dvd sometimes. Why buy something you already own if it doesn't include much more then what's on tape. I'm a divorced parent though, so I have child-support along with everything else in the world (including going to school). $100 for a box sex can be really prohibitive, exp if your into comics & or gaming as well. (1 DVD box set compared to 2-5 gaming books for example).

And I'm sorry, but as good as the Trek series have been, it's nowhere NEAR what it used to be. Sounding like an old man but I remember in '86 seeing ST IV and it being a blast..people in costume, guy passing out promotional stuff, etc. That kind of fan fever has gone way down since then, at Nemsis it was just another movie (at least it seemed that way when I went to it opening night in Dallas). Alias and CSI have bigger names now then Trek (sorry but to me it's true) and if big name shows like that can charge reasonably for their box sets, so can Paramount.

And yes, I am willing to buy the sets under special cases (ie christmas, birthday, etc). I'm not gun-ho about getting all the sets as they come out though.
    Last edited by Shoshuro; 09-06-2003 at 12:42 AM.
    Anyone who still uses Frames for a website should be shot.
    Does your sig area really need to be bigger then your post?

Compared to other series, that's right, the ST box sets are expensive.
    But, in my country, those are my only chance to watch the whole series. And to own them (AFAIK, they are not available on VHS).
    Njxt

Here in Italy selling went very good, if one browses the dvd shops sites...

From Trektoday.com:

http://www.trektoday.com/news/161003_02.shtml

Complete season box sets of the original Star Trek series are in the planning stages for DVD release in both Region 1 and Region 2.

Paramount gave the long-awaited confirmation to The Digital Bits about the upcoming U.S. release.

"I've officially confirmed with Paramount that complete season box sets of Star Trek: The Original Series are in the planning stages for DVD release here in the States," wrote Bill Hunt. "However, you probably shouldn't expect them until after most of the work on the Star Trek: Voyager complete season DVDs is finished."

Voyager is expected to be released one set at a time throughout 2004, so the original series may not hit the market until 2005.

---------------------------------------------------

Luverly!

Crow