Thread: Ferengi Marauder ?

Ferengi Marauder ?

Did anyone make up is own Ferengi marauder ship ? Or at least something more "sneaky" and more something of a fast, little cargo/fighter ?
    I was thinking of a ship a little bigger (and stronger) than Starships' Ferengi Pod and still far from the big Ferengi one (I can't remember its name).
    I would be really intersted in a ship like that for my first episode.
    At least, if no one has done it, a few advices on how making up one on myself would be nice.
    Njxt
    "Be nice, I'm new to a lot of things"

For ICON or CODA?
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Sorry.
    For the CODA system.
    Njxt

Well I've tried to come up with such a ship:

Gurbol Light Transport

PRODUCTION DATA

Origin: Ferengi Alliance
    Class and Type: Gurbol-Class Light Transport
    Year Launched: 2370

HULL DATA

Structure: 20
    Size/Decks: 4/8
    Length/Height/Beam : 102/27/41
    Complement: 10

OPERATIONAL DATA

Atmosphere capable: Yes
    Transporters: 2 standard, 2 emergency
    Cargo Units: 60 (basic configuration)
    Shuttlebay: 1 AV
    Shuttlecraft: 4 size worth
    Tractor Beams: 1 FV, 1 AV
    Cloaking device: Mono-refracting plating (rating 14)
    Sensor System: Class 3 (+3/D)
    Operations System: Class 2 (C)
    Life Support: Class 2R (CC)

PROPULSION DATA

Impulse System: FIG (0.9c) (C)
    Warp System: LF-45 (warp 6/9.6/9.9) (C)

TACTICAL DATA

Beam Weapon: Type V (x2/B)
    Penetration: 4/3/3/0/0
    Deflector Shield: CIDSS-2 (C)
    Protection/Treshold: 14/3

MISCELLANEOUS DATA

Maneuver Modifiers: -1C, +2H, +0T

Traits : None (basic configuration)

NOTES

The Gurbol Light Transport was designed by the Oomnax Company Partnership (OCP), a cartel owned by Daimon Vil-Keydz. Many minor Daimons often complained that they couldn't afford the leases on the bigger ships, like the D'Kora and so were often forced to lease or buy lesser ships that were often outdated. Daimon Vil-Keydz realized that a market niche was there, waiting to be filled. So he called upon his most trusted engineers to come up with a light transport design that could be effective, advanced and yet remain affordable. Daimon Vil-Keydz himself was an avid spacer and he enjoyed fast and gimmicky ships. So he directed his engineers to build a sleek, fast vessel that would also be stealthy. The problem was that Oomnax didn't have access to that kind of technology- a few prototypes were built but the Oomnax engineers had based their designs on obsolete Klingon or Cardassian designs and the prototypes were dismal failures. The big break for Oomnax came when a small company called Celestial Works based on the Tellarite colony of Goraff approached Oomnax with a new design. Celestial Works was near bankrupcy (Goraf Colony is independent from the Federation) and were desperately seeking funds to finance their new revolutionary design. They approached Oomnax with a partnership proposal, but given the intricacies of Ferengi contractual law somehow they ended being bought by Oomnax. The Tellarite engineers had come up with a type of energy-absorbant hull plating that deflects sensor scans and makes the ship hard to detect. Coupled with fast engines the Gurbol was born. It wasn't designed to carry vast amounts of cargo but rather more compact and nonetheless valuable goods .... often of questionable legality. That is where the Gurbol's speed and stealth come into play. The Gurbol was not intended to be a combat-heavy ship but a few steps were taken to reinforce its combat abilities and survivabilitiy. The original design called for the FNPFF-3N (PFF 3) shield system to be installed but designers felt that the FNCIDSS-2N (CIDSS-2) shield system, while slightly bulkier, was a better choice due to its better reliabilty and durability. The life support systems were also reinforced for extra survivability. Another useful feature of the ship is its atmospheric capability.

The Gurbol was designed with some modular capabilites. It was fitted with a small aft shuttlebay that can accomodate 2 Ferengi Shuttlepods. That bay can be converted into extra cargo storage space (remove shuttlebay, add +20 cargo space: for a total of 80) or fitted with additional systems. Some add-on packages are available, such as extra impulse amplifiers or improved tactical programs. It has been found however that such upgrades are bugged and they somehow interfere with warp engine operation programs (the 'nimble' or 'battle-tested' edges may be purchased but the 'jurry-rigged: propulsion' flaw must also be purchased once with each upgrade).

The normal crew complement is 10 but the ship can be operated at normal capacity by a crew of 5.

DESIGN NOTES :

At first I wanted to come up with a sleek size 3 ship but I found out that I wouldn't have enough space for what I had in mind. Oddly I was thinking about Star Wars and the images I had in my mind was a cross between the Millenium Falcon (speed and stealth) and the Corellian Corvette (modular design). So I went with a size 4 but albeit a 'small' size 4 ship. I wanted something modular with a decent amount of extra space to let whoever who would want to use the design to customize it. BTW the total point tally is 51 (size 4 = 51). That's why in the description I made a comment about the modular nature of the shuttlebay. Lastly, I took the name of the class from a comment Armin Shimerman (the actor who played Quark in DS9 and various Ferengi in TNG) who called the Ferengi 'angry little gerbils'... I also managed to sneek in 2 non-ST references
    Last edited by Snake_Plissken; 09-07-2003 at 12:43 PM.
    "No captain kicked ass, took names, outsmarted the machines, and then scored the babes like the Kirkmeister" -Liquidator Queeg

That is indeed a nice combo ship. i like your modular shuttle bay - sounds very Ferengi! "Eject the escape pods! Who needs them when we can make this much latinum!"
    Ta Muchly

Great !
    Thanx.
    That's exactly what I had in mind.
    Your Gurbol has a nice resemblance with the Orion Harmony Class from "Starships" and that's the one I was thinking about but with that nice Ferengi touch (Tobian is right about the modular shuttlebay).
    I want to use this ship in an episode where a Ferengi hire the PCs (a bunch of mercenaries) and lend them his ship to pursue the mission. And it's perfect.
    Though I might replace the shuttlebay by an aft Type I torpedo launcher.
    And give it the nimble edge ... and the flaw that goes with it
    Njxt

As for the non ST references, OCP seems obvious (Robocop) but I'm still looking for the other one
    Njxt

I'm glad you like it; heureux d'avoir pu vous aider

but I'm still looking for the other one
    well, it has to do with the name of the Daimon who's the boss of Oomnax...
    "No captain kicked ass, took names, outsmarted the machines, and then scored the babes like the Kirkmeister" -Liquidator Queeg

Still can't find the second reference ...

Oh well ...

What would you think of this "design" for the Gurbol :

?
    Njxt

I guess something not too unsimilar to that would be good, though of course that is alot smaller, and it's from Enterprise so it's quite an old design! Still - the Ferengi might be like the Klingons with designs!
    Last edited by Tobian; 09-11-2003 at 04:44 AM.
    Ta Muchly

Still can't find the second reference
    Vil-Keydz = Bill Gates

How about these. . .

Ferengi Raider

Cargo and storage are to the front of the vessel; engineering, command deck and personnel quaters to the aft. The impusle engines can be seen port and starboard of the centerline aft. Command deck I would assume to be in the superstructure on the dorsal forward of the aft section.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by redwood973; 09-11-2003 at 02:37 PM.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Ferengi Cargo Pod

I always thought of the Ferengi Pod as being more geared toward personnel with a capacity for small/light cargo. The Ferengi Cargo Pod is more of a heavy cargo carrier, with minimal warp capacity.

[I am really not sure about this design. It does not strike me as all that Ferengi. I may see if I can find something else.]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by redwood973; 09-11-2003 at 02:41 PM.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

[I am really not sure about this design. It does not strike me as all that Ferengi. I may see if I can find something else.]
    for the record it is a FASA Gorn design. Nothing however precludes it from being a Ferengi ship (a design bought from the Gorn?)