View Poll Results: Which of these 70's 80's sci-fi shows do you remember?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Space Academy

16 38.10%
  • Jason of Star Command

24 57.14%
  • Space 1999

40 95.24%
  • Far Out Space Nuts

8 19.05%
  • Ark II

16 38.10%
  • Automan

21 50.00%
  • Quark

19 45.24%
  • Salvage One

22 52.38%
  • Project UFO

15 35.71%
  • UFO

24 57.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone remember these sci-fi shows?

Automan and Jason of Star Command don't ring a bell,did see all of the others.I loved 1999 and UFO.Does anyone remember the references in Starlog magazine to the Moonbase in UFO possibly being the earlier version of Moonbase Alpha ?A purely fannish concoction ,I'm sure.The blue-liquid breathing aliens in UFO creeped me out (at age 6 or 7 anyway).

Here's one I can't remember the name of:It was set on a generation ship,the cast had to punch in a different code each week to access different sections of the ship,each section having its own weekly adventure? I want to say "The Starlost" but I'm not sure.

And concerning where to watch Space:1999-the last time I saw it was on Sci-Fi.They were showing it when they first hit the airwaves.That was something like 10 years ago.
    Last edited by Lowly Uhlan; 09-13-2003 at 04:15 PM.
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf

A question maybe answered:

Uhlan, I think the show you refer to is the Starlost.

You can actually find info on a LOT of older sci-fi shows at this website:

www.cylon.org. Check it out, its incredible.

------------------------

As for Buck Rogers and Battlestar Galactica...they were shows I loved very much, but I kinda wanted to go for some more obscure sci-fi shows in this poll.

Space 1999 holds up visually, even if the stories were a little...umm...hokey. The space Eagles, and actually, much of Moonbase Alpha had a very functional, and plausible look to them.
    I have the first six episodes of Space 1999 on DVD....and it was incredible that this show's visual effects did not suffer from matte lines, and matte blocks the way that Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica did...and this show PRE-DATES those two. Much of the shows visual effects were very ahead of their time.

Respectfully,
    General Chang
    "So the Enterprise is on her maiden voyage, eh? Now that is one well endowed lady. Ah'd like to get mah hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the bit o' engineerin' parlance." -Scotty, STAR TREK, 2009

Arrow

I recalled a short-lived series, Phoenix, starring a half-alien (the actor also portrayed as Khan's lieutenant on Star Trek II).

I also remembered another short-lived series that followed The Knight Rider on Friday Night that featured Louis Gossett, Jr. as the mentor to an exiled alien prince living on Earth. Anybody know the title?
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Hi REG

Yes, that was Judson Scott that played The Phoenix. I remember that show too...I am ashamed I forgot to mention that one.

As for the NBC show you refer to...that was The Powers of Matthew Starr.

Respectfully,
    General Chang
    "So the Enterprise is on her maiden voyage, eh? Now that is one well endowed lady. Ah'd like to get mah hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the bit o' engineerin' parlance." -Scotty, STAR TREK, 2009

Wasn't there a sereis (before or after) Space: 1999 that used the Eagles as the space ship of choice? I probably am wrong on this, but i thought there was another show that used the same models.

Phantom,

I have just done a quick check on IMDB and I think the film you are refering to is called Into Infinity follow this link: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0074690/

For further info on Gerry Anderson: http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0026757/

By the way the orginal concept for Space 1999 was a sequel series for UFO only set 20 years later hence the HAWK Fighter craft and the EAGLE Multi-Role Transport Ship.
    "Those Klingons are up to something, I can feel it in my bones"
    Cmmdr JT Wayland
    Strategic Operations Officer, Starbase 415, Dragomer Sector, Klingon Border, 2372

Thanks for the effort, but I get "Can't find server" on the "Into Infinity" address.

I have heard of UFO and, I think Project UFO, but can't remember the premise. What were they about? You said there was a connection between them and S:'99?

UFO was a live-action Gerry Anderson show about SHADO, an organisation defending Earth against alien invaders. Space: 1999 was originally envisioned as a second season set 20 years later, but there is no canon connection between the shows, although there have been some fannish connections drawn.

Project UFO was completely unrelated, and was a show about Project Bluebook, the USAF's investigation into UFO reports. The UFOs always turned out to be swamp gas, Venus, ball lightning or hoaxes.

Originally posted by Lowly Uhlan
    Automan and Jason of Star Command don't ring a bell,did see all of the others.I loved 1999 and UFO.Does anyone remember the references in Starlog magazine to the Moonbase in UFO possibly being the earlier version of Moonbase Alpha ?A purely fannish concoction ,I'm sure.The blue-liquid breathing aliens in UFO creeped me out (at age 6 or 7 anyway).

Here's one I can't remember the name of:It was set on a generation ship,the cast had to punch in a different code each week to access different sections of the ship,each section having its own weekly adventure? I want to say "The Starlost" but I'm not sure.

I remember & liked them all (except Space Nuts).
    Jason of Star command was a direct spin-off of Space Academy.In the 1st season Star Command was a section of the Space Academy,but in the 2nd season it too over command of the Academy.Jonothan Harris(Dr Smith of Lost in Space) was Commander Gampu who was in charge of Space Academy,but James Doohan was Commander Canarvin in the 1st season of Star Command & John Russel became Commander Stone during the 2nd season.They used the same sets & equipment in the 1st season,but got a new small craft in the 2nd & new command center.Gee can anyone tell I seem to like these shows.
    Space:1999 was origionally susposed to be a spin-off of UFO.Starlog had a big article about it years ago w/pre-production sketches from Gerry Anderson.
    Yes Starlost was the name of the 2nd series you mentioned.

Thanks for cluing me in.
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf

I have Tron 2.0 and they've done a first rate job caputring the feel of the first TRON film and updating everything to the modern era. You'll catch lots of geek humor as you play through, but it's a ball to play.
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Space 1999 get aired around here from time to time, and my brother was a big fan of it some years ago (now he has switched to Doctor Who ). UFO was aired on the same channel at one time, but I never cared much for it (and Space 1999 was indeed supposed to be a sequel of UFO - in which the aliens blasted the Moon into space with Moonbase Alpha along). I don't know any of the others (they very well may never have been aired in France).

I saw some episodes of Space 1999 a few years ago (a cable channel made a special 1999 night on September 13 1999 - the day the Moon is blasted out of orbit in the series); I found the visuals to be quite good, the stories completely psychedelic, and I hated the overall mood - this sci-fi is far, far too dark for my taste (plus, I hate stories where the Commander is the only capable guy around). As for their second season, I'd say it was no surprise it was done by the guy who oversaw TOS third season...
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

As Dan said, us Brits didn't have many of those.

That said we had such classics as:

Doctor Who,
    Blake's Seven,
    The Tripods

Amongst many.

And since we're on the subject of Space:1999 and other Gerry Anderson stuff lets not forget Stingray (I think GA did one before this but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called), Joe 90, Captain Scarlett, Terrahawks and that awful non-puppet one Space Precinct.

Thankfully he had nothing to do with that awful cartoon series Thunderbirds 2086.

Then there was Starfleet! That was waaaaaay cool.

Oh my how I'm reminiscing. And I'm only 27. Thanks guys for making me feel older.

On a related (sort of subject) who remember Ulysees 31 - I never found out how it ended. Did Ulysees ever get back to Earth and resurrect his crew.
    We have all your working biros and we're not afraid to use them.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

I do hope Blake's 7 makes its way to DVD. That series had the best ending of any Sci-Fi series I have ever seen.

Personally I'm annoyed by the BBC not adapting the third Tripods book.
    We have all your working biros and we're not afraid to use them.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins