Thread: Skill Question

Skill Question

If a character moves from Soldier to Starship Command Officer, does he/she/it also gain the skills from the base starship officer profession? Just wondering about Computer Use and such.

Chris

No. The character would only get an additional profession, or, if he/she already has got an elite profession, an old one would be replaced. The only immediate change after spending the 5 picks, I think, for a new profession would be different professional abilities. So it will be easier for the starship officer to learn computer use than it was for the soldier.

Does anybody know if adding/changing your professions also allows you to change your favored attributes and reaction?
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

Once chosen during character creation, your Favored Attributes and Reaction do not change.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Thank you.

Just wanted to be sure.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

I am sure someone will jump on me for getting an errata wrong (grins) - but what a character gets for adding a profession is to have the ability to buy professional abilities of that profession, and his professional skills. This is quite handy, because as Ergi says, you spend less on future (previously) non class skills.

I beleive also that when you are advancing you can, however, only take skills / abilities from 2 of your professions at once (wich in the case of a Starfleet officer I guess means both his basic and elite class!) - I think it is implied that you can buy other skills, but they would cost you as if you were buying them as non professional skills (I.e. 2 points per point) - though i am sure there aren't many people with enough points to buy things from 3 or more professions all at once! The only thing is it involves allot of page flipping to work out what's associated with what!
    Ta Muchly

What you are describing is prevented by the rules. A character can only have two professions at a time. This may be a normal and an elite profession or two regular professions. If someone who already has two profession wants to get a new one he has to let go one of his old professions.

Huh, I am sure what I read was that you could take multiple classes, but you could only advance 2 of them at any one time. However I will have to wait to confirm that untill I get home and reread that section in the players guide.

Regardless, none of my players has yet to get close to that, so i am not bothered either way
    Ta Muchly

I was sure as well that you could stack two elite professions

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

You can have as many elite professions as you want, but can only advance in two professions at a time.

Ah yes, that's it

Just to make things clear: when you mean you can advance in only two professions at a time, does that mean you can spend your 5 advancement picks only on two professions at a time? Or does that mean you have to choose two sets of professional skills and can only advance those, and then if you want to change, have to "buy" again the profession? This issue has never been clear for me

Originally posted by KillerWhale
    Ah yes, that's it

Just to make things clear: when you mean you can advance in only two professions at a time, does that mean you can spend your 5 advancement picks only on two professions at a time? Or does that mean you have to choose two sets of professional skills and can only advance those, and then if you want to change, have to "buy" again the profession? This issue has never been clear for me
    The latter. You only have the professional skills and can only purchase professional abilitiers for your two active professions. And yes, if you wanted to make a previous profession active, you would again have to pay the 5 picks to gain the profession.

Okay, got it! Thanks a lot Doug