Thread: Too heck with 'Them'...

Thumbs up Too heck with 'Them'...

Since 'they' aren't creative (or rather too creative ) with 'Gene's dream', it's good to see fans stepping up:
    http://homepage.mac.com/starshipexeter/

Now, of course the acting is...'dinner theater', but that's still miles better than a certain blonde ditz playing a Vulcan (I wonder if she yet knows how to pronouce Gene's last name)...

Long and short, I think I'd rather see these guys on the air (compleat w/complimentary 'million plus dollar per ep' budget), than what's on now...my opinion.
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

Talking Re: Too heck with 'Them'...

[i].....
    Now, of course the acting is...'dinner theater', but that's still miles better than a certain blonde ditz playing a Vulcan (I wonder if she yet knows how to pronouce Gene's last name)...

\[/B]
    Actually Jolene Blalock is a dark brunette.

Hmmm...

Not in every interview I've ever seen of her...

And if this is dark brunette, then I'm platinum:
    http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0086883/

And that IS her normal hair color...
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

Holy guacamole!!!!!

Thanks Modem... that's a pretty cool site!

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Oh Starship EXeter rocks. I donated for their next project, and got a copy of the Making of DVD. They're a pretty cool bunch of folks too.

They also pretty much inspired us to do our own fan film as well. Though we won't have such nice sets.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

The impressive thing about Exeter was the sets. In fanfilms generally things are done on the cheap and understandably so. Hidden frontier, for instance, uses greenscreen and the scenes from the "Captains Chair" CDROM as its backdrops.

On the other hand, Exeter has built TOS sets and convincing ToS sets at that. I was extremely impressed with what I have seen from "The Savage Empire" - it will be interesting if they get enough support for a sequel.
    I love deadlines - I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by
    - The late Douglas Adams

I myself watch Star Trek: Hidden Frontier. I find it so much better than anything since ST:TNG, and most of DS9. And they do very well for a budget of "Everyone gets lunch and that's it." They have one professional actor, but he doesn't get into the series until season 3.

Of course, they lack some creativity by having Wesley show up, Lefler is a main character, Admiral Necheyev and someone from Voyager ends up in it for a while. But considering they are doing it for the love of Star Trek and not profiteering, I'll give them a phaser setting of kill.

Ratings are from worst to best: Heat, stun, heavy stun, kill, disintegrate, and overload.

The acting was a little weak, the plot had a few holes here and there, but this was clearly a labor of love.

There are TOS episodes I've enjoyed less than this one.

Sometimes I think that's what Hollywood loses track of: you usually get the best work from someone who really loves the property. When it's just a job, it doesn't matter so much.

I think it's "just a job" to Berman and Braga, and has been for some time.

Just ta letchall know....

I corresponded with the gentlemen who wrote the Savage Empire for Star Trek Exeter. Apparently, they have been given a nod of approval from Paramount, and even Gene Roddenberry's son. Even to the point that, if they wished to make another fanfilm, they would be welcome to use some of the materials at Paramount. Now, how's that for recognition. This is one of the rare cases where fans have made something that just about every Trek fan can agree to. I think the reason I love the story so much is because it features one of my favorite bad guys as a young commander. CHANG!

Starship Exeter was a serious LABOR of LOVE. It took them seven years to get from writing it out, to actual post production.
    I was very impressed. Yes, some of the acting is a little hokey, but their efforts made it very convincing. These people have a genuine knowledge for all things Trek.

Starship Exeter had:
    1. A good story.
    2. Cool visual effects.
    3. Good all around production.
    4. Action!
    5. Comedy!
    6. Space Barney!!!

All told, this story played out like a typical TOS episode...replete with music, sets, and 60's era special effects.

Respectfully,
    General Chang
    "So the Enterprise is on her maiden voyage, eh? Now that is one well endowed lady. Ah'd like to get mah hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the bit o' engineerin' parlance." -Scotty, STAR TREK, 2009

I liked it. And Death to Barney has never been so admirably observed.