Thread: Dune: The Machine Crusade

Dune: The Machine Crusade

The 2nd Brian Hurbert and Kevin J. Anderson Dune book is out. For those Who were wondering about the Butlerian Jihad, it answers a lot of questions.
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

I've put off reading the newest trilogy,haven't read Butlerian Jihad.I have reservations after reading "House Corrino".While "House Atreides" was pretty good the books went steadily downhill after that,with the ending of H. Corrino being complete garbage IMO.How was "Butlerian Jihad"?Whether I like it or not, these guys are writing book 7 and there will probably be references to the machine books in the finale.Is B.J. worth reading?
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf

Butlerian Jihad was adequate. I got through about 2/3rds of it before I got distracted by the latest Arturo Perez-Reverte piece.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

It's actually the 5th Brian Herbert, Kevin J. Anderson book, after the House Foo books.

After trying to read the Hosue Atreides novel, and discussions I've had with my friend and fellow Dune nut Owen Seyler (who's read all of them so far) I've decided to avoid them.

I may revisit that decision if they decide to do the 7th Dune novel, as Brian's been threatening.
    Game On!

I happened to like the Prequal series after reading them I read Dune with the understanding of those books and I liked how Dune read after reading the prequals.
    I admit House Corrino was Terrible. I felt it was rushed and Shadam was just plaizie.
    I have read Dune like 9 times atleast since I was 12 and discovered Dune.
    I keep in mind these books are made from notes Frank Herbert wrote but Kevin Anderson and Brian Herbert are expanding on those making it their own story (I think that is why Frank Herbert is not credited in the By section).
    Neither Brian nor Kevin can write as well as Frank Herbert and it takes two men to create this series using someone e;se's notes and thoughts.
    I happen to like the series but I reckognize the fact these will never be as good as what Frank would have done. I just got the first book of the Butlerian Jyhad at the used bookstore and reading it soon.
    WHat upsets me is I have this Dune RPG book I have. I can not *sigh* run my dream game.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

I thought House Atrides was alright, but ( and not to give any spoilers) I thought Shaddam's plan was a little too out there.

Anyway read and liked the first novel, read about half of the second (love the plotline with Duncan at the Ginaz School) and bought the third-haven't read it.

The DUNE prequels...

The only prequel I've read thus far is House Harkonnen. That was a damn good (and quick) read. If you want to know how Baron Vladimir Harkonnen became all sickly and in need of the suspensor globes, this book has the answers....and also provides the backstories for many background characters. Gurney, Duncan, Hasimir Fenring, Leto, and of course Rabban and Vladimir Harkonnen himself.

A great read. I highly recommend it.

Respectfully,
    General Chang

1984 DUNE:

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen: He who controls the spice, controls the Universe, and what Piter did not tell you is that we have control of someone who is very close...VERY CLOSE...to Duke Leto.
    This person, this TRAITOR be worth more to us then 10 legions of Sardaukar!

Feyd-Rautha: And who is this "traitor"? Eh?

BVH: I'm not gonna tell you who the traitor is, or when we'll attack. However, the DUKE will DIE before these eyes, and he'll know...HE'LL KNOW, that it is I, Baron VLADIMIR HARKONNEN who encompasses his DOOM!

2000 DUNE:

Piter: Perhaps we should get on with it, Baron!

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen: Get on with it?! This is Kanly, Piter! Vendetta! My family has hated the Atreides for generations! They have been the sand in our eyes, the stink at our meals! These ARROGANT Atreides ALWAYS standing in our way! I want Leto to appreciate the beauty of what I have done today! I want him to know that I, BARON VLADIMIR HARKONNEN am the instrument of his family's demise!
    "So the Enterprise is on her maiden voyage, eh? Now that is one well endowed lady. Ah'd like to get mah hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the bit o' engineerin' parlance." -Scotty, STAR TREK, 2009