Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: My 4th Age game (revisited)

Originally posted by AslanC

As to my attempt at Haradric, I assume by the complete lack of reply that everyone thinks it was great?
    It sounded Arabic enough for me to be convinving Haradic?/Haradaic?/whatever...

Originally posted by Meneltin
    It sounded Arabic enough for me to be convinving Haradic?/Haradaic?/whatever...
    thank you Meneltin

My only regret is that I cannot really create a Muslim style religion, since there is no 1 God in the Tolkien world.

Originally posted by AslanC
    thank you Meneltin

My only regret is that I cannot really create a Muslim style religion, since there is no 1 God in the Tolkien world.
    Actually, that's not entirely accurate, Aslan. Eru, or Illuvatar, is the one God of Middle-earth. The Valar, while often mistaken for Gods, are more akin to angels, with them acting as the guardians of Middle-earth and the servants and companions of Eru.

You might want to take a look at the Silmarillion for further clarification, as well as various entries in the History of Middle-earth volumes.

In any event, even if you go with the Valar being gods, there's no reason why, just because the people of Northwestern Middle-earth follow this belief that all the peoples of Middle-earth have to. Maybe they just worship Eru, and ignore the Valar altogether, or perhaps they only revere one of the Valar, or perhaps a Maia who walks among them (a living god, in a sense).

There seems to be lots of possibilities here, depending on what you really want to do, and how much of a role you want religion to play in your chronicle.

Greg

Chapter Summary moved here
    Last edited by AslanC; 10-13-2003 at 07:44 PM.

Chapter summary moved here
    Last edited by AslanC; 10-13-2003 at 07:46 PM.

Thread getting too big... go here
    Last edited by AslanC; 10-14-2003 at 05:29 PM.