Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TWOK era paper miniatures.

TWOK era paper miniatures.

I recently made these figures for a Trek game I ran. They're basically just the player characters so they're quite specific. They may be of some use to someone, though =)

They're intended to be printed at 150dpi (that's what res the JPG is set to) which means they'll print at about 25mm.

I'm planning on doing a series of do-it-yourself minis featuring all uniforms from all periods and a variety of permutations of races and skin colours and hair styles etc... Until then, enjoy these:

Scarecrow
    Attached Images Attached Images

ooooooh beautiful! Did you draw'em yourself?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Thumbs up Hmmm...suggestion(s)

Just a thought, but how about some 'blanks'? Basically, some black and white 'outlined' characters (of any given era) that can be filled via Photoshop, Paint Pro, MS Paint, or other graphics programs...not to take away from your creativity.

Oh, one more; how about a Noah's Arking of sorts (Vulcans: 1 male, one female, Caitians: 1 male, 1 female, and so on). Or maybe a 'group shot' of a given alien culture (Vulcans, both male and female as Security, Science, Command, and so on...and then Andorians...and then...)

Sorry if this sound daunting, but your work is really good so far (and as Decipher seems to have a problem with 'getting the lead out' as it were)
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

Cheers, guys! Yeah, they are all drawn by me.

As I mentioned, what I want to do is supply a series of bodies with all the various uniforms and different colours and in a variety of skin colours. Then a series of heads of various races with various styles and skin colours. The idea being that you could mix and match and construct you're own minis for any period and any race.

I'm not sure how far I'll break it down yet. Wether to just have bodies with optional heads or wether to have a complete breakdown with bodies in underwear then seperate uniforms and bald heads with hairstyles and facial features seperate too. It depends on how much of a workload I'm able to take on and how much I feel people are able to edit it at their end. I want the minis to be useable by everyone but if it requires advanced knowledge of Photoshop it'll be a bit limiting.

What I may do is have the DIY kit but also provide a broad range of premade figures aswell.

Whatever I do, it'll only be Starfleet personnel for now but I'd love to do some Klingons aswell =)

So many ideas, so litttle time =)

[EDIT] Actually, what I may do is a Star Trek version of this:

http://www.over-the-moon.org/dollz/dollmaker/make.html

Crow
    Last edited by Scarecrow; 09-22-2003 at 04:57 AM.

Thanks, Scarecrow, they look cool.
    Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug.

Thumbs up

Way cool

I'm eager to see DS9-era minis It's sure the easiest thing would be a DIY kit with faces and uniforms. I'm unsure as to how this could be done though.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Yeah, I think I'm going to try and do it like the Doll Maker I linked to above. I'll need to do reverse-sides aswell which'll be more work but it's doable I think. It'll also allow people to make little on-line avatars to for PBeMs etc aswell..

Crow

Wow!!! That looks really fantastic. Are you planning on doing this for ENT-Era as well?
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Absolutely! =) All eras really. If I can make the DIY thing work it won't be anywhere near as much work as doing individual figures.

Crow

Hi Crow

Saw these first on the brabatini yahoo group a couple of days ago.

Excellent work, and I'd love to see the mix and match idea you're talking about come to fruition. You could corner the market as promised cardboard heroes from Task Force Games for GURPS Prime Directive have never materialised, and there's no sign of anything similar from Decipher either.

I've been messing around with the idea for ages as I just don't get time to paint miniatures and it's virtually impossible to find Trek like miniatures to represent Starfleet types, let alone Klingons, Romulans etc.

If there's anything I can do to help you with this, let me know.

Regards

Renny

Thanks Crow, these look great! Please keep us up to date. I'd be very interested in the finished product.

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?
    I remember seeing software for something like this a few years ago. Gobs of web-pages devoted to it and all. I'll have to try & track it down again. (Hey, anything to help make doing character pics easier... Trek or otherwise!)

(five minutes of googling later...) KiSS dolls.

http://otakuworld.com/index.html?/kiss/0kiss.html
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

Actually, I hadn't thought of that. A portrait maker along the same lines would be probably more useful than the figure maker. Maybe I'll look into that once I've done the minis. The males are well under way.

Crow

Hi Crow

Last thing I want to do is stop you from pushing on with the miniatures, especially as i'm super keen to get hold of them, but I wonder if you might be able to outline the process you go through to get to the finished article.
    I've tried, in the past, to make my own by scanning in images from other sources and so on but because yours are 'handmade' they're that much more interesting, and also offer the potential to personalise the miniatures to reflect your own player characters.

Regards

Renny

Okay, sure.

What I've done so far is roughly draw out a human shape with the proportions I want for the figures. I've exagerrated certain elements, using pretty much the same proportions as Games Workshop do for their figures - ie: slightly bigger hands, feet and heads compared to the rest of the body. Miniatures because of their size generally benefit from slightly exagerrated features and quite simply, I like the style =)
    When I'm happy I scan it in.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Scarecrow; 09-25-2003 at 06:39 AM.