Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, according to UPN, it's now Trek...

'Extinction' Brings Ratings Back To Life

FYI,

'Extinction' Brings Ratings Back To Life
    http://www.trektoday.com/news/250903_03.shtml

Summary & analysis of the latest Enterprise episode (contains spoilers)
    http://www.treknation.com/reviews/en...tinction.shtml

But Phantom…

The execs won’t be able to pull anything out of their ‘hats’, ‘cause their heads are firmly stuck in them…or each others…and that’s not a good thing nor a pleasant image.

And Jem'hadar, just ‘it’ got high ratings this week (relative to what it’s been doing), doesn’t mean that’s going to continue. Hell, next week ‘Smallville’ has it’s season premiere…want to lay odds the next day people will be saying “Star Who??? Enter-What?!?!”
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

Arrow

Originally posted by Don Mappin

It's going to take a lot more than changing the name of the show to woo back Star Trek fans.
    Amen!
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Arrow Re: But Phantom…

Originally posted by Modem

Hell, next week ‘Smallville’ has it’s season premiere…want to lay odds the next day people will be saying “Star Who??? Enter-What?!?!”
    Definitely not people in Hawaii. Our local CBS affiliate airs ENTERPRISE late Saturday night (10:30pm, after the local news), against NBC's SNL and FOX's MADtv.

For me, I'd rather watch later, when Andromeda (11:30pm on ABC) and SG-1 (12:30am on FOX) are on.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by General Chang
    As for a middle-eastern character on the new show, well, I agree. Perhaps at the moment, it might not be likely.
    If you want to get technical about it...I think Alexander Siddig should, at least, count for something, since he's part Sudanese (and, apparantly, of Sudanese Arab descent).

ST IV: On one of the viewscreens at Starfleet Command, during the storm, a captain of either Arabic or Hindu descent was making his log entry. That's the only time I can recall someone of Southwestern-Southcentral Asian descent was given any amount of serious airtime.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Correct,

Yes, Sea Tyger, you're correct about Alexander Siddig (aka Siddig al-Fadil) in DS9, and of course about the middle eastern captain on STIV.

I think in this case what was being referred to was simply that in this current climate of hostility, the probabilities of another middle easterner becoming a character on Trek might be less than good. Then again, TOS did have Chekov at the height of the Cold War. So, who knows.

Of course, let us not forget the lovely, (and late) Persis Khambatta of India. I was saddened when I heard of her death.

Respectfully,
    General Chang
    "So the Enterprise is on her maiden voyage, eh? Now that is one well endowed lady. Ah'd like to get mah hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the bit o' engineerin' parlance." -Scotty, STAR TREK, 2009

Arrow SIDEBAR

Only a few shows this season cast Middle Eastern characters as regulars, one of which is a new sitcom by "Guinan" herself (aka Whoopi Goldberg). I have to admit, Omid Djalili, is pretty funny.

All I want from Braga is high-quality stories using known Trek elements of the 22nd-to-23rd century, and try to play down the TCW. I'm running out of Aleve tablets, as Braga's style of time travel storytelling always leaves me with a migraine.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Re: Correct,

Originally posted by General Chang
    Yes, Sea Tyger, you're correct about Alexander Siddig (aka Siddig al-Fadil) in DS9, and of course about the middle eastern captain on STIV.

If you are refering to the same character that I am thinking of, he is from India (I believe) not from the Middle East.

Before he started acting he was quite big in tennis in his home counrty.

Re: Re: Re: I second the notion...

Lets inject some humour into a thread thats getting waaaay to serious.

Originally posted by Scarecrow
    It's possible to portray an empowered, independent woman without her having to have double-D sized breasts and squeeze into a catsuit. I don't think any of us would tolerate racism on Star Trek, so why do we continually tolerate the use of women as mere ratings-pulling, eye-candy?
    Originally posted by Liz Not Beth
    Problem is the vast majority of fans are red-blooded males and they respond things like that.
    Hmmm. LnB is very empowered. Mental image now growing of her in catsuit!

But seriously. This was covered in the Sex Sells/T'pol's uniform debate recently. Whilst I'm no prude I have no problem with women in skimpy attire, I'm a red blooded male after all said and done. But there is no requirement for it in programmes as ratings puller. I find it rather dubious and whilst I appreciate that it's the execs pandering to the lowest common denominator I think it's rather intellectually insulting.

If they go down this route then the programme becomes just another Baywatch. Hardly considered quality television but still a ratings winner because of Ms Anderson, Eleniak et al. Which I suppose proves everyones point. But my point is, if a programme is of a high enough quality then it shouldn't have to fall back on tried, and admitedly tested, methods of appealing to people's more basic instincts. If I want to see a woman in little/no attire I'll buy a mens magazine.

Personally I prefer my programmes a little more highbrow I'm afraid. TNG rarely had to fall back on the above methods. DS9 even rarer. Voyager didn't intially but ultimately did. Enterprise shouldn't have to but does.

Liz - as Queen of Trek-rpg.net how do you feel about this as woman. You like trek. Does it bother you?

Anyway - as always I'm preaching to the converted.
    Last edited by JonA; 09-27-2003 at 06:30 AM.
    We have all your working biros and we're not afraid to use them.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

Re: But Phantom…

Originally posted by Modem
    ......And Jem'hadar, just ‘it’ got high ratings this week (relative to what it’s been doing), doesn’t mean that’s going to continue. Hell, next week ‘Smallville’ has it’s season premiere…want to lay odds the next day people will be saying “Star Who??? Enter-What?!?!”
    Capt Archer: "There's a saying on my home planet... It aint over till the fat lady sings"

Cool

Oh, it's way over when a holographic doctor sang "Le Donna E Mobile."

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Cool Que?

I didn't know he sang a song about Madonna.

j/k

Irreverently,
    General Chang
    "So the Enterprise is on her maiden voyage, eh? Now that is one well endowed lady. Ah'd like to get mah hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the bit o' engineerin' parlance." -Scotty, STAR TREK, 2009

Re: Re: Re: Re: I second the notion...

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Fair point.

Awaiting the ultimate mass SMITE!
    We have all your working biros and we're not afraid to use them.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

Ah! Faith n' begorrah!

Bracing for impact...!

Liz Not Beth speaks wisdom!

In the words of Grand Moff Tarkin : "This bickering is pointless!"

Respectfully,
    General Chang