Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Well, according to UPN, it's now Trek...

Ahh.....

Space Cadet and C5 speak wisdom beyond their years.

The previews of episodes definitely do not represent the final quality of an episode....or a movie for that matter...as was the case for me in Star Trek First Contact.

I was expecting much more to the space battle. I was actually expecting much much more action than the movie had. Although it was a good movie...I was pretty much let down. The movie seemed to drive home the point that it was going to be an all out action flick...and it failed to deliver.

So, if this episode indicates that it might be just a "T'pol needs some action" yarn, then who knows...tune in...you might be pleased to find out it wasn't as bad as you'd thought it would be.

Respectfully,
    General Chang
    "So the Enterprise is on her maiden voyage, eh? Now that is one well endowed lady. Ah'd like to get mah hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the bit o' engineerin' parlance." -Scotty, STAR TREK, 2009

Arrow

Didn't TOS had a less impressive rating during the first season? I mean the reason why it was kept on for three seasons is the show's fan following (granted they were covertly organized by Gene Roddenberry with the help of one Bjo Trimble).

Nowadays, even as we are disappointed at FOX cancelling Firefly and John Doe, no one have organized and rallied to tell the network that we wanted them to stay on, not unlike Roswell (fans started sending in tabasco sauce as their method of protest). It's like the sign of the time.

Is it like Liz Not Beth stated, "It's a show, Get over it"? Have we gotten to the point where it is hopeless, useless, a waste of time to voice our concern with the networks and franchise?

I hope not.

Forgive this late evening rambling...
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

A brief addendum to my previous post: Yes, Mr. Plummer - General Chang, sorry - I agree wholeheartedly: the previews and teasers do not necessarily reflect the actual work. I remember I brushed off Robocop back in '86 because the trailers failed to light my fire, and caught it in a rerelease and was so bowled over I went back to see it again the next evening. Nonetheless, it must be admitted that the preview for this particular Ent outing is less than spectacular - so bad, in fact, that when I was on trektoday I would have sworn the transcript was a MAD-tv style parody. I don't know if I'll have the chance to see it tonight - I saw the first four or so episodes and then basically gave up on this sucker - but I'm very interested in reading what the community here has to say about it by tonight: A case of inappropriate advertising or the Trek franchise taking another rung down on the ladder to hell?

Originally posted by D.S.McBride
    ...... Nonetheless, it must be admitted that the preview for this particular Ent outing is less than spectacular - so bad, in fact, that when I was on trektoday I would have sworn the transcript was a MAD-tv style parody. I don't know if I'll have the chance to see it tonight - I saw the first four or so episodes and then basically gave up on this sucker - but I'm very interested in reading what the community here has to say about it by tonight: A case of inappropriate advertising or the Trek franchise taking another rung down on the ladder to hell?
    I checked out some of the early reviews from folks that have seen the episode, Rajin, and they say its really good. I'm definitly looking forward to it.

And today's headlines:
    Oct 2 - Superman Flies Over 'Rajiin'
    'Enterprise' ratings take a dive as sex slave episode fails to lure viewers. (link)

And the early reviews: **SPOILERS**

"Analysis: There are things to love about this episode, like continuity and excellent performances, and there are things to loathe about this episode, like the most gratuitous use of female sexuality since...you know, I can't even think of a comparison; let's just say the most gratuitous use of female sexuality I can remember on Trek, even counting "Elaan of Troyius" and the aptly-named "Revulsion", not to mention Enterprise's own "Bounty." I'm not sure that there could be such a thing as a responsible Trek episode about sexual slavery, but this sure as hell was not it, anyway.

"In other ways she's an absolute cliché — a trained slut who comes on to everyone around her. (I won't ask who on Enterprise loaned or replicated her clothes.) The scene where she gets touchy-feely with Sato feels spectacularly gratuitous, even more so than the scene where she gets her hands all over T'Pol's naked flesh, because at least by the time she touches T'Pol we have some idea what she's up to; when she's with Hoshi it looks like pure lesbian titillation for the boys in the audience who are into watching that sort of thing, and rather than preserving her personal space, Hoshi seems prepared to dive in. Don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted to learn that Hoshi was lesbian or bisexual, but that's not what this is about, any more than T'Pol's heavy breathing and writhing when Rajiin touches her is about forbidden Vulcan loss of control. It's about creating sexy images to lure male viewers.

"It's clear that my sons are too young for this show and I'd be better off sending them down the basement to watch Smallville on Wednesdays from now on. It's also clear that any male over 18 (or at least with emotional maturity over 18) isn't going to find these cheap sexual tactics a good enough reason to watch the show; it's not like throngs of men tuned into Voyager to see Seven's catsuit. So who is this show aimed towards: males 14-16, the only ones old enough to be allowed to watch this nonsense yet young enough to find it titillating? That doesn't really seem like enough of an audience base to keep this franchise alive. I'm going to be very interested in the ratings this month, to see how many viewers in that demographic instead tune in to see an adolescent Superman who never gets laid. "
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

LOL!

A Vulcan Advertisement:

For those days when you feel that you have totally lost control of everything you hold reverent to being. When your inhibitions as an enlightened being seem to be put to the test.

Midol, The Logical Choice.

Most Irreverently,
    General Christopher Chang the Plummer
    "So the Enterprise is on her maiden voyage, eh? Now that is one well endowed lady. Ah'd like to get mah hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the bit o' engineerin' parlance." -Scotty, STAR TREK, 2009

Thumbs up Wouldn't say "I told ya' so, but..."

See, 'They' gambled on something 'They've' done before, as soon as a year ago (less than, in fact) and lost...

And this is just the beginning...of THE END...

Let's see...next move will be to see if 'They' can get the show moved: Thursday's out of the question, Monday's a no-no, Friday's not good...the only other day I can see is Tuesday...and nobody cares about/pays attention to Tuesday's shows...except 'That 70's Show'.

Sing along:"It's the end of the show as we know it..."

(Oh, feel free to substitute 'hate' for 'know')
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

I have seen only one ep this season (the premiere) and wasn't lifted to any new appreciation of the show. In fact I simply killed time knowing that as of last night Angel would be restarting and that show did blow me away with the new direction they took this season.

This review does not really thrill me to watch anymore of Enterprise either.

Let's see... If they move it to Monday I will be watching Everwood, so that's a no go. If they move it to teusday I will be watching the OC and that won't change either. Wednesday has the Angel thing in the way and Thursday has Scrubs and Friends. Friday is game night.

For my money Trek should do like DS9 and TNG and go back into syndication as opposed to network tv, that way it doens't need big ratings to stay alive and stations can schedual it where it won't conflict with big hit shows.

Just my two pieces of latinum worth.

Have not seen the episode yet, but, even if it looks like a very bad episode indeed, it wouldn't be the first time that Trek puts a bad sex-oriented episode. This reminds me of Naked Now, where all the women suddenly became nymphomaniacs. Times change, so of course sex takes a bigger part in it, but I don't think this marks the end of Trek.

Anyway, as any Ent episodes particularly good or bad, some will say it's just an exception while others will claim it marks the decline/renewal of the series
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Reminds me of a humerous article I read on the DITL website - funny how women automatically become Lesbians - it never seems to hapen the other way with the men
    Ta Muchly

Originally posted by Space_Cadet
    oh great moderator.. i do not wish to incite your wrath as i am one of the humble servants of your message boards..but i've noticed that a lot of trailers, especially the ones that are sexual are typically misleading and are not what they seem to be.
    Especially this weeks eps..I really liked it,it wasn't what the ad claimed.she wasn't a sex slave,but a spy.So I wasn't diapponted by this weeks eps.I actually think it was one of the better one.I almost gave it a 10 on the poll in the other thread.(I never give anything a perfect score.nothings perfect.)
    Last edited by WarriorKnight; 10-02-2003 at 11:55 PM.

I actually watched this weeks eps. & taped Smallville & Angel. And I glad I did,Smallville was good but I liked Enterprise better & I didn't care for the Angel eps.(only parts I thought were any good was when Spike showed up & the previews for next week.).I'll probley keep taping Smallville so I can catch Enterprise.I tape 1st run ST eps. on sat. because my local UPN station shows it at 6pm without the stupid adds over the end credits.Can't stand those split screen adds.

Re: A Brother has risen...!

Originally posted by General Chang
    Thank You, Midnighter! Maj'Qa!

Glory to you, and your House! jI'yajNeS! gijQeD chaD NIjaj!

I see by one of your thl'ngan expressions that you've some FASA influence in you. Ah.....the good ol' days of FASA Trek. A couple friends and I used to play heavily in the Starship Combat game. I had the most awesome Klingon fleet...once upon a time.

Now, to other important matters. Midnighter, I suggest we make like the wind and break because I am sure that we are about to be smote and stomped by the IBG and her padawan.

Respectfully,
    General Chang, Right Reverend of the House of "I Love Trek, Period!"
    Well, Chang, I believe The Rock said it best...

JUST BRING IT!

I fear not the smite, for my heart is pure and my quest is righteous...

We shall weather the smite, and all that which comes from it...

The Midnighter
    "Jenny, allow me to write the stupid bastard a prescription..."

"How long have you been wanting to say that?"

"Thought of it last Tuesday."

-- The Doctor and Jenny Sparks (The Authority #2)