Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Timelord Returns - For Real This Time

His name is Robin Sachs and he was also the bad guy in Galaxy Quest.

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    /me does happy dance.

Big Dr. Who fan -- seen nearly all of 'em. Would love to work on a Who RPG. New series nearly just as good!
    Oh yeah! Could you suggest this to Decipher or AEG ? You know, diplomatically, just tell them Dan Moppin is gonna turn them to dolls if they don't comply
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

I'm all for the idea of Paul McGann coming back for the series (especially after listening to some of the Big Finish stories he has done) but I still would rather have Richard E Grant play the good Doctor.

He's already playing the Doctor in a web-story the BBC is doing so I guess he's likely to be in the running at least.
    He's an underprivileged skateboarding cowboy with nothing left to lose. She's a sharp-shooting goth bounty hunter who believes she is the reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!

I personally think it should be Richard E Grant (Withnail and I).
    We have all your working biros and we're not afraid to use them.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

Regarding Fiennes as the Master - I really enjoyed his portayal of Pharoh (voice) in "The Prince of Egypt" - in that movie he was Moses' brother by adoption, and Fiennes did a great job portraying the conflict of someone who still cared for his brother but was going to do all he could to defeat him. I think that would be a great asset in playing the Master, who always seemed a little fond of the Doctor...

Anthony Stewart Head for the Doctor.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Alan Rickman would be my choice to play The Master. But I doubt they could get him. American audiences probably remember him best as the chief villain in "Die Hard". I think he's done more work in other countries.

Originally posted by Fesarius
    Alan Rickman would be my choice to play The Master. But I doubt they could get him. American audiences probably remember him best as the chief villain in "Die Hard". I think he's done more work in other countries.
    Not just other countries.

Mr Rickman was fantastic as Azrael in Dogma (a Kevin Smith Jay & Silent Bob film).

Then he overacted it spectacularly as The Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood: Prince of Theives.

Lets not forget his small part in that Kevin Kline film The January Man.

But his best film was a HBO film called Rasputin. He played the mad monk fantastically.

You're right though. He's done a lot more in the UK. A BBC film called Truely Madly Deeply which was from a stageplay and the inspiration for Ghost.

As for Mr Feinnes. Another fantastic British actor. My personal fave of his was Strange Days (wow, what a film - one of my favourite films of all time).

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

"Mr Rickman was fantastic as Azrael in Dogma (a Kevin Smith Jay & Silent Bob film).

Then he overacted it spectacularly as The Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood: Prince of Theives."

"You're right though. He's done a lot more in the UK. A BBC film called Truely Madly Deeply which was from a stageplay and the inspiration for Ghost."

Your chronology is deeply flawed. Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves predates Dogma by several years, and Ghost predated the movie version of Truly Madly Deeply by two years.

However, your basic contention that he's well-known is correct. Rickman has a moderately high profile on this side of the pond. Another notable movie is Quigley Down Under, where he plays yet another sneering villain and dies yet again, this time at the hands of Tom (Magnum, PI) Selleck.

As for Feinnes, Strange Days was an interesting, if bizarre, flick, but his real turn of genius was in Spielberg's Schindler's List. Unfortunately, he phoned in his performance in The Avengers, but so did Sean Connery and Uma Thurman. (I know Uma can act, I've seen it, but why doesn't she do so in most of her movies?)

I wasn't putting them in a chronological order. Just as they came to mind.

I was wrong on the Truely, Madly, Deeply thing though.

Not seen Quigly yet.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by JonA
    I wasn't putting them in a chronological order. Just as they came to mind.

I was wrong on the Truely, Madly, Deeply thing though.

Not seen Quigly yet.
    It's a good movie....a non-traditional Western, to say the least, but one that I can sit down and watch over and over.

Of course, you also can't forget that Rickman was the voice of Scar in The Lion King.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    It's a good movie....a non-traditional Western, to say the least, but one that I can sit down and watch over and over.

Of course, you also can't forget that Rickman was the voice of Scar in The Lion King.
    Sorry. Scar was voiced by Jeremy Irons (who played Hans Gruber's - Alan Rickman - brother in Die Hard With A Vengeance).

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by JonA
    Sorry. Scar was voiced by Jeremy Irons (who played Hans Gruber's - Alan Rickman - brother in Die Hard With A Vengeance).
    Oops, you're right. I get those two confused. My bad.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

The perfect Master

Two words for the perfect actor to play the Master:

Nigel Bennett !

(Known best for his role as Lacroix on Forever Knight. and Prince on Lexx)
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

Re: The perfect Master

Originally posted by Ezri's Toy
    Two words for the perfect actor to play the Master:

Nigel Bennett !

(Known best for his role as Lacroix on Forever Knight. and Prince on Lexx)
    I like.

I heard the other day that the BBC is trying to get Rowan Atkinson to play the part of the Doc. Apparently he did a spoof of the show sometime ago and the BBC liked it. I hoping they mean to play it straight.

Re: Re: The perfect Master

Originally posted by Phantom
    I like.

I heard the other day that the BBC is trying to get Rowan Atkinson to play the part of the Doc. Apparently he did a spoof of the show sometime ago and the BBC liked it. I hoping they mean to play it straight.
    yes it was for Comic Relief (a BBC telethon of comedy that they put on every two years - although not a BBC charity they've given it a much needed platform for broadcast - prior to this Comic Relief did an annual night of comedy on stage and called The Secret Policeman's Ball - but I digress) a couple of years ago.

Rowan Atkinson did play The Doctor along with a whole slew of British TV Celebs (male and female) and notched the good Doctor's regeneration count through the roof (if taken seriously - which it wasn't meant to be).

Here's the Comic Relief site if anyones interested:

Comic Relief (UK)

I believe there's a sister Comic Relief charity in North America too:

Comic Relief (USA)

Now that I've driven the thread OT normal service can resume again.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins