Thread: Number of Wound Levels

Number of Wound Levels

I'm a little annoyed by the number-of-wound-levels thing...

In the Player's Manual (and in the LotR RPG) it is pretty clear that medium sized creatures have 5 wound levels PLUS the "healthy" wound levels, making effectively necessary a total of Health x 6 wounds to kill them (total wound points equal 6 times Health). That seems very clear if one just has a look to the character sheet.

BUT EVERYWHERE it's said humans have 5 wound levels. Now, that's triky and confusing. But you can adjust your interpretation believing they mean 5 wound levels BEYOND "healthy" level. Now, that seems not the case when reading through Creature Chapter in the Narrator's Guide, with the table listing the number of wound level depending on the size of the creatures. Medium creatures are supposed to have 5 wound levels (but we know they in fact have 6), and tiny creatures are supposed to have 2 wound levels. You would suppose the latters have a total of wound points equal to 3 times their Health BUT it is crearly stated that a tiny creature with a Health of 3 needs just 6 wounds before dropping lifeless (3 times 2).

How the hell is the whole matter intended to be handled?

I would assume the example in the Narrators Guide is in error.

<< I was a bit sleepy >>
    Last edited by ImperialOne; 09-30-2003 at 11:12 AM.
    "Everything happens for a reason..."

Here is an FAQ entry for the LOTR book Fell Beasts & Wondrous Magic which also applies to the Trek game (since both use the CODA System.

Q: I don't understand which Wound Levels creatures of various sizes have.
    A: The following lists, which enumerate the precise Wound Levels possessed by creatures of various sizes, should clarify things.

Miniscule: Healthy, Dazed
    Tiny: Healthy, Dazed, Injured
    Little: Healthy, Dazed, Injured, Wounded
    Small: Healthy, Dazed, Injured, Wounded, Incapacitated
    Medium: Healthy, Dazed, Injured, Wounded, Incapacitated, Near Death
    Large: Healthy (x2), Dazed, Injured, Wounded, Incapacitated, Near Death
    Mammoth: Healthy (x3), Dazed, Injured, Wounded, Incapacitated, Near Death
    Huge: Healthy (x4), Dazed, Injured, Wounded, Incapacitated, Near Death
    Gigantic: Healthy (x5), Dazed, Injured, Wounded, Incapacitated, Near Death
    Titanic: Healthy (x6), Dazed, Injured, Wounded, Incapacitated, Near Death
    Note that the text on page 210 of the NG which you refered to is therefore incorrect. A tiny creature with Health 3 would take a total of 9 wound points before dying.

Hoep that helps explain it...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Originally posted by Doug Burke
    Here is an FAQ entry for the LOTR book Fell Beasts & Wondrous Magic which also applies to the Trek game (since both use the CODA System.

Note that the text on page 210 of the NG which you refered to is therefore incorrect. A tiny creature with Health 3 would take a total of 9 wound points before dying.

Hoep that helps explain it...
    OK, thanks really! I'm relieved, now.

Just one last thing: how much damage can microscopic creatures sustain? 1, regardless of their Vitality or Strenght?

That leaves out no creature with only the Healthy level...

Do you, like me, have the feel they have done just a little mistake when deciding the number of wound levels?

thanks again.

Originally posted by gbnogkfs
    OK, thanks really! I'm relieved, now.

Just one last thing: how much damage can microscopic creatures sustain? 1, regardless of their Vitality or Strenght?
    Yep. After all, they're microscopic...

ke me, have the feel they have done just a little mistake when deciding the number of wound levels?
    IMO, the only mistake they made was in assuming everyone would understand they meant "Health levels not including Healthy". It even confused me for a while...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Don't forget that with Microscopic life forms - you have to hit them! So while they only have 1 hit point they could have a disproportionatellyt large TN.

The TN effectivelly being the 'cure' for that particular disease.

Also don't forget - microscopic life forms can often have invulnerabilities - For example there have been some Bacteria which were found on the moon, which were left there by the space mission! They were brought back to earth and reawakened even after several years in a vacuum". There are fungus spores which can exist in the upper atmosphere; Bacteria in gas vents on the ocean floor which live in hundreds of degrees and thousands of pounds of pressure... So sometimes killing the thing off is tougher than it might first appear!

That creates all sorts of opportunities to make it VERY hard to kill off a microscopic life form - it's not like you can hit it with a sword is it!
    Ta Muchly