Thread: [SCOOP!] Designers Ditched Decipher ... Moves to Upper Deck

Post [SCOOP!] Designers Ditching Decipher ... Moving to Upper Deck

From ICv2 web site:

Upper Deck Hires RPG Team
    From Decipher

October 02, 2003
    ICv2 has learned that Christian Moore and Owen Seyler are leaving Decipher and joining Upper Deck. At Decipher, Moore and Seyler ran the company's RPG Studio and worked on the core designs and supplements for the Lord of the Rings and Star Trek RPGs. The fact that these two key designers are leaving Decipher and heading to Upper Deck could mean that Upper Deck may be thinking of expanding its approach to games. After all at one time Decipher, like Upper Deck today, only published collectible card games. Currently Upper Deck publishes the number one CCG in the U.S., Yu-Gi-Oh! Look for Upper Deck to make some sort of announcement concerning the new hires at some point during the next month or so.
    Besides Kenneth Hite, who else remains at Decipher RPG Studio?
    Last edited by REG; 10-02-2003 at 03:08 PM.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Matthew Colville, Jesse Heinig, Jeff Tidball, Ken Hite plus two full time graphic design/layout people.

Not exactly a 'B List' of game designers -- that's some quality talent and a lot of Origins Awards right there.

While Christian and Owen leaving are no doubt a blow and will be terribly missed, keep in mind they filled the role of management for the most part for the Decipher RPG Studio. That is to say, the creative talent -- both on staff and freelance (hint! Hint!) -- is still there.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Arrow UPDATE!

From GamingReport.com web site:

Card Games: Christian Moore and Owen Seyler to work on Card Game
    Posted 2003-10-02 21:41:28 by damonwhite

Damon White Reports: As has been circling the news sites in the last few days, word of Christian Moore and Owen Seyler departure from Decipher to join Upper Deck has become public knowledge. However, we learned from our contacts within Upper Deck and others that the game project they are to work on is not a role-playing game. Moore and Seyler have been heavily involved in the Lord

of the Rings and Star Trek RPGs for Decipher but we have been told that the new project at Upper Deck is to be a Card Game. If what our contact on the inside has told us comes to fruition, this is be the card game everyone will be talking about when it is released; a "Magic killer", with a television cartoon series to complement the release. The card game is to be based on an original property and has many more big names from the industry attached to it. Our insiders told us that this project has been in the process of getting started for some time and the people involved were "hand picked" to make sure the game is the best it can be.

Of course, we'll continue to follow this as we are allowed to report more-
    BTW, good to know that Matt Colville is pulling double duty with Decipher and Eden. Don't worry, I didn't forget you, Don Mappin.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

What effect (if any) will this have on Deciphers' Trek release schedule?
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf

Originally posted by Lowly Uhlan
    My guess is none. Like Don said, the creative staff is still in place.

Though with just two layout people working on two full RPG lines, you'd think Decipher would be looking for a couple more hands.

Arrow

Oh, I forgot to ask: Who's taking over the management of Decipher's RPG Studio?

BTW, Chris and Owen are getting brutalized on GamingReport.com by readers who are commenting and questioning their ... credibility ... as card game designers.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Originally posted by Lowly Uhlan
    It shouldn't really have any effect. The mechanism is in place and working well by now.

Originally posted by REG
    Oh, I forgot to ask: Who's taking over the management of Decipher's RPG Studio?
    For the time being, Matt Colville will be acting head of the RPG Studio.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

"All hail Matt!"

Yes, I was surprised to see Owen and Christian savaged by the (gutless) anonymous Magic apologists on the GamingReport message boards.

Good luck to them.
    "Everything happens for a reason..."

I wouldn't call a handful of anonymous posts 'getting brutalized' but I guess that's semantics.

I have to wonder what Upper Deck was thinking coming out and calling it a 'Magic killer.' That seems like a real easy way to alienate every Magic player out there.

Arrow

Well, they say it is based on a Japanese animated series of that title (to be seen in the US), which is a trend started by Wizards with Pokemon after their runaway success with Magic: The Gathering that launched a new game industry (Trading Card Games).

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by Ineti
    I have to wonder what Upper Deck was thinking coming out and calling it a 'Magic killer.' That seems like a real easy way to alienate every Magic player out there.
    Wait, I thought alienating Magic: The Bumbling players was a good thing....
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Magic the Bothering ? Hope they give 'em hell with the new game.
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf

The response on Gaming Report is kinda perplexing to me. Christian and Owen are two of my best friends, I know exactly what they're doing up there, and neither Magic, nor "magic killer" has entered into our discussions.

But then, I read the responses to the Beyblade press release in which someone says "So is this their Magic-killer?" and I got the impression that's some kind of meme they have at Gaming Report.

I wish Christian and Owen the best of luck at Upper Deck, although I don't think they need luck. They know what they're doing.

And yes, for the time being, I have taken over as Creative Director and Production Manager. I don't believe this transition will cause any delays in our release schedule.
    Game On!