0 0%

1 3.85%

7 26.92%

8 30.77%

3 11.54%

3 11.54%

Thread: ST Enterprise: Rate "Rajiin"

ST Enterprise: Rate "Rajiin"

I didn't get to see it because I was at rehearsal... I will give my rating when I get to see it.

In the mean time... your opinions please
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

So far, so good. I like the continuity from ep to ep. The story's been done, but I still enjoyed it...especially that they "lost" at the end of the episode.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

spoiler... close your eyes just in case

It was a good episode.. i a gave it an 8. When Malcolm alerts that the scanners revealed the same Xindi cowards as the ones who attacked Earth and then the shot of Archer's expression, I was like "hell yeah, time to kick some a**". ... In the end, I just shook my head in disbelief. Not because the episode was bad but because it looked pretty bleak for the crew. But a good thing is, Extiniction wasn't a stand alone episode and if push comes to shove, they'll might show them the way Quamkat.

This episode was the worst I have seen so far. The story was not only so much forseeable but also very low in tension and continuity. There are just two options I fear. Either the Xindi are complete idiots or those who wrote this episode are. As the Xindi are able to built a weapon of super-massdestruction, I fear the answer is clear. This episode again shows how some conflict and tension is forced upon the story, but simply vanished because of the dumb behaviour of the people.
    Like in "The Expanse" the Xindi fail to see that sending a prototype weapon to a planet you want to destroy is very, very dumb. And here again the Xindi have the possibility to take whole Enterprise and yet they retrteat. HELLOOO???
    Not only is Enterprise not able to stop the Xindi ships, no they even have no defense against the boarding parties weapons, although the Xindi seem to be unimpressed by their own weapons fire. Additionally the Xindi came to get biological data on humans - so what would have been better than to take two or three samples, i.e. hostages with them? Or even better take the whole ship and lear more about the technology as well and after all it were the Reptillians among others, who demanded the destruction of Enterprise - and besides there is no single valid reason why the Xindi have not destroyed Enterprise right form the beginning - after all they want to destroy humanity's homeworld why hesitate with one ship?

Although some people believe to see a positive development in Archer's character I think he merely runs around rampant without thinking and throwing overboard any moral issues we encountered in the first two seasons. Not only begins he to torture people but his decisions become completely abitrary. Only two episodes earlier he was willing to let a slave die on a mining world, just because he begged for his live when they were cought - hey that man had been tortured and humiliated, he was just afraid, CPT. ARCHER! And now he provokes a fight, endangers the away team just for some sexy clothed girl. Wow, very constant behaviour. I have to say if that is what Starfleet bases their decisions on, they are doomed.
    But here we come to the next dumb behaviour. When nobody faced the second away team getting the formula, especially Reed who was there when the slave was "stolen", it should have become clear that there is something more about that girl. Why was there no more opposition to get back that very "valuable" girl?
    I can only hope that Archer gets his head clean again in the very near future and the Xindi become a bit more intelligent in their decisions.

BTW I thought the Reptillians where the ones who built the "Death Star" type of weapon? Why do they now create a biological one?
    Last edited by Evan van Eyk; 10-04-2003 at 06:01 AM.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Once again a 6, nothing special, but not terrible either. And I can actually get by the "sex" in the ep as it was basically a "honeypot" operation. Hey, Sexpionage works, no doubt. She also turned out to be quite the agent, good thing she wasn't supposed to kill anyone Archer would have had a lot dead crew.

The Reptile Xindi just got the bio info they needed for the weapon, it doesn't mean that part of the Xindi are building the Bio Weapon. I think that is under the control of the race played by Tucker Smallwood...

"Abandon all hope my ass..." Sorry just had to, he was great as Commodore Ross.

...And the guy who played Barclay.

If they keep this up I might just be able to watch the entire season.

Gets a 7 from me.... I don't think the sex aspect was overplayed.... the advertising of the episode was just really bad. It actually had an okay story and continued the story arc.

A "decent" episode.
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

I agree that the ep was a victim of bad advertising. It wasn't that sexy. Good ep though, gave it a 7. Kept me interested. Another good firefight, liked it that the ENT crew lost. Cool alien goo-gun.
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf

the oldest form of espionage and the Ent crew fell for it like a sack of chumps. well, it was interesting to see that tack taken. and now the crew have an idea what they are up against. And they know they are severely outclassed. Call home for help anyone?
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

From the previews, I expected this episode to be pretty uninteresting. And in the 1st 1/2 hour I wasn't that impressed. But after the alien "slave" was revealed to be a spy for the Xindi & the Xindi came to pick up their agent, the episode got exciting. So I give the story a thumbs up. I liked the combat scenes b/t the 2 Xindi races & the Enterprise's anti-boarding parties. I also like the weapon the Xindi uses that hits the wall w/ a blob & then that blob explodes like a grenade. Very alien!

But it got me thinking about why the Xindi are bothering w/ their bioweapon project. The Xindi seem technologically more advanced than Starfleet. They've already killed millions of humans and last week's episode showed they can attack the Enterprise & take what they want w/ impunity. The Xindi seemed almost impervious to Starfleet weapons.

Why don't the Xindi just destroy the Enterprise? Having an Earth vessel invading their territory gathering intelligence can't be good for the Xindi from their point of view. And the Xindi weapon that attacked the Earth shows the Xindi can harm Earth, but Earth can't retaliate. Xindi reluctance to destroy Enterprise outright (or at least capture it) seems illogical & I can't discern a reason for their hesitancy.

Originally posted by Jem'hadar
    Why don't the Xindi just destroy the Enterprise? Having an Earth vessel invading their territory gathering intelligence can't be good for the Xindi from their point of view. And the Xindi weapon that attacked the Earth shows the Xindi can harm Earth, but Earth can't retaliate. Xindi reluctance to destroy Enterprise outright (or at least capture it) seems illogical & I can't discern a reason for their hesitancy.
    I think they're actually afraid of Enterprise and Humans in general. After all, they (the Xindis, that is) don't know much about those aliens (the Humans). A guy from the future has shown up and told them the Humans would destroy them in the future.They seem to have reasons to believe him, so it's only natural for them to be afraid, or at the very least, cautious. Either way, this to me explains why they did not destroy the Enterprise, and in general act so cautiously about them.

I for one quite liked the episode. Felt quite TOS like, with a few minor inconsistencies here and there, male (and female) officers suddenly getting dumb-and-not-able-to-see-through-even-the-most-obvious-tricks when facing a scantly clad (and, incidentally, gorgeous) woman/alien, said gorgeous alien falling for the captain. Very TOS . And dumb ... but at least, this time, they had the excuse of her using her telepathic abilities to dumb them down or something. The sex part was rather shy actually ... or maybe I got a censored version, but frankly I can't see what others complained about concerning sex.

The only hing I really didn't like was when the Xindis boarded Enterprise. I mean, I have nothing against boarding, but it should be properly introduced. Here, we just see Enterprise dodge, getting shot at once or twice, and there we go, boarding Xindis! My, I had no idea docking with a moving, non-cooperating ship was <I>that</I> easy ... or maybe Enterprise's just got a really bad pilot, I don't know ... or a pilot who's in fact a Xindi spy ... Anyhow, the boarding action was nice. And the Enterprise crew took a beating ... again . Must be something about non-replicated food, or something .
    Every procedure for getting a cat to take a pill works fine -- once.
    Like the Borg, they learn...
    -- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

"I think they're actually afraid of Enterprise and Humans in general. After all, they (the Xindis, that is) don't know much about those aliens (the Humans). A guy from the future has shown up and told them the Humans would destroy them in the future.They seem to have reasons to believe him, so it's only natural for them to be afraid, or at the very least, cautious. Either way, this to me explains why they did not destroy the Enterprise, and in general act so cautiously about them."

That the Xindi are afraid of humans & cautious about the Enterprise is clear. They believe humans will destroy their homeland several hundred years in the future. But after the last engagement, the Xindi have some proof that their technology is superior to Earth's. I'm sure the Xindi who attacked Enterprise reported the relative ease they accomplished their mission. Now the governing Xindi council has some evidence that humans, at least presently, may not be as dangerous as they thought.

Moreover, if the Xindi are truly afraid of Enterprise, all the more reason for an all-out effort to destroy them. One doesn't allow a dangerous enemy to freely roam through one's territory if one can do something to stop them, or at least try to do something. Based on what we've seen, a small force of Xindi ships could easily destroy or capture Enteprise. We've seen no logical reason for the Xindi not to take such action.

Now if Enterprise had superior technology, I could see the Xindi being more cautious, biding their time & gathering more intelligence to come up w/ a secret weapon. But the Xindi have just proved to themselves, Enterprise can't stand up to their military.

I agree w/ you that the boarding seemed too easy. These ships are moving very fast, even at impulse speeds. Enteprise took no evasive maneuvers. W/o a tractor beam or disabling of engines, the boarding of Enterprise should have been far more difficult.

Nevertheless, I did enjoy the episode.

I think the Xindi feel a bit like one would when finding a scorpion in one's bed ... or a snake ... or a hornet in one's bedroom.

Imagine ... you know it's probably harmful. How harmful, you don't know exactly. If it's a snake, it's probably venomous. If it's a hornet, well, you don't know, you could be allergic to hornet's sting. And you know you can kill the thing fairly easily. Probably without geting stung/bitten even. What would you do? Some people would indeed go at it and kill the intruder. Some would rather stay way clear from the thing, open the window or something, and wait for it to go away. Now imagine it's you with your wife or girlfriend. You will want to kill the bugger, and your wife will probably want you to make it go away, maybe she doesn't want to see you hurt, or maybe she cares more about life than you do.

And that's probably what's happening with the Xindi. After all, they've kicked Enterprise once. That's not to say Enterprise can't bite. It seems to have weak claws (hey, what did you expect from a snake or a hornet? ), but maybe it has poison somewhere (who said the virus from last episode?). Moreover, the reptilians and insectoids may not be that eager to anger their wif... errr ... the other races . To go with the hornet analogy one step further, if you've had a wasp nest in your garden, you probably know what happens when you kill a wasp but get stung before that. Once stung, there must be some chemical marking at play, anyhow, it's a bit like you were wearing a big sign saying "Nest's Enemy" and all the wasps begin homing on you ... time to run . Back to Enterprise. Do the Xindi know how many NX Earth has? I'd say no, but ICBW.

Anyhow ... JMHO .
    Every procedure for getting a cat to take a pill works fine -- once.
    Like the Borg, they learn...
    -- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

I don't think the analogy to a snake or scorpion in your bedroom quite works to the Enterprise in Xindi territory.

Enterprise is an enemy vessel in Xindi space or at least heading towards Xindi space. If you were the Xindi, wouldn't you want to neturalize an enemy coming towards your territory?

The Xindi have already proven to themselves & the audience that they could easily defeat Enterprise (barring some last minute contrivance by the writers). At this point, w/ what we know, there is no reason not to stop the Enteprise w/ the techology the Xindi have on hand.

If the Xindi are so afraid of Enterprise to attack it (as at least 3 races on the Xindi council seem to be), then why attack Earth in the first place? Surely the Xindi must have realized that the very act of attacking Earth might result in a retaliatory invasion. If the Xindi are not afraid to attack an entire planet, I see no reason why they're afraid to attack a single, outgunned Earth vessel. Based on what's been shown on TV so far, I see no logic behind the Xindi reluctance to destroy Enterprise.