Thread: Equilibrium - Anyone seen it and what did you think?

Equilibrium - Anyone seen it and what did you think?

I rented out a Christian Bale film called Equilibrium on the weekend and thought it was absolutly, jaw droppingly fantastic. Has anyone else seen it and what did you think? Personally I can't believe I missed it's initial cinema release and I can't believe it wasn't more popular than it seems to be. The Gun Katte martial art was just awesome (unworkable but still stunning and fresh). I can't rate this film highly enough.

I'll admit it does suffer from trying to be many things at once (a post apocalyptic, Orwellian society). Drawing on 1984, Farenheit 451 and many other sources. But as a film I was totally gob-smacked. A couple of friends said it was just a Matrix wannabe but I disagree. The film for me had a freshness about it and whilst it took numerous established, and some may say unoriginal, ideas in it's setting it, nonetheless, made for an entertaining and thrilling SF film.

Has anyone seen it and what did you think?

The idea and setting for the film is ripe as a RPG setting too.
    Last edited by JonA; 10-06-2003 at 02:17 PM.
    We have all your working biros and we're not afraid to use them.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

Wink Re: Equilibrium - Anyone seen it and what did you think?

I thought it was so-so...

I saw it knowing that it was going to have Gun-Fu in it, a favourite Cyberpunk martial art. And on that front it did not dissapoint. It came out before Matrix Reloaded, and so filled that gap...

Plot and storywise... I personally found it a film that was very derrivative of its own source material, in this case Farenheit 451 abd 1984... And as the previous films of those tales go... It was indeed the better movie. But as the plot stands (based on the original material) the previous two are superior... But I doubt anyone would really argue that point.

The twist in the tale wasn't too surprising, but spotting the film route so early did allow us to sit back and enjoy the action.

Christian Bale was good. And showed us where he can take his established Psycho and bring the package to Batman. But personally I wanted to see more Sean Bean and Sean Pertwee... Far superior actors to the main supporting cast...

As a film, and a genre piece its OK. But I found it pretty standard fare and unremarkable (outside of the very cool fight sequences)...

The best selling point of the DVD (for me) is the 'skip to fight' function, skipping all the plot and jumping from the choreographed fights, along with the details of Gun Kata (I would have liked to see the treaining graphics that appeared in the film but oh well...).

Hmmm. That sounds really negative, and it wasn't as bad as all that... Maybe I should compare it to Underworld to make it look good...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Don't talk to me about Underworld!

I saw it last week and was very disappointed. That film could've been so much better.

Can see why White Wolf are narked off though.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

It was good for a video, though I would have been disapointed if I'd seen it in the cinema.

A few criticisms;

I'd wished they'd call the Gun Kata something a little more western - it was after all heavily based on geometry, which more a Greek concept. Does it always have to be eastern?

Plus, more should have been made of the fact that is reduces your chance of getting it, not makes you invincible. One non-standard shooting position and you get hit. Maybe a rookie getting iced?

Once again, it sucks to be Sean Bean. Though I appreciate why they needed his character, they should have differentiated a little more - considering he did all the same things as Bale but he got shot in the neck while Bale ends up smelling of roses. A show of where he went wrong and Bale went right would have helped my outrage - though that's maybe just me.

Mark.
    'Wish I could Help you....Wish I could tell you,
    That I am real, I'm not something you invented,
    That I'm not everything you want me to be.'

'And I am...Ageless. And I am....Invincible.'

A slight change of subject...

Originally posted by JonA
    Don't talk to me about Underworld!

You know what I think the biggest problem with Underworld was?

There was nothing new...

Anything they had in the movie had been done in the Matrix, Blade, Blade II hell, the list could go on and on...

It wasn't bad...

It just wasn't good either.

However Kate Beckinsdale does look good in skintight leather/rubber. So thats another reason to look forward to 'Van Helsing' then.
    DanG/Darth Gurden

Equilibrium was a film I enjoyed very much. For my money it was one of those films that just surprised me. Of the people I have recommended it to, only 1 has not liked it. That said it might have its problems, but it was still a good film at the core. IMHO.

I also enjoyed Underworld, but wasn't blown away.

It was no Dog Soldiers or Dracula II, it didn't surprise me or make me go "Wow!" It just was a fun way to kill a couple of hours

Dog Soldiers!? Are we talking about the movie where a group of Soldiers are out on exercise and they run into a werewolf? I saw that in my local video store, you telling me it is worth seeing? Or did I totally misread your last message?

Dude that movie (Dog Soldiers) rocks!

SPOONIE LIVES!

DanG, BrianK help me out

Originally posted by AslanC

SPOONIE LIVES!

DanG, BrianK help me out

Aslan is right here. Dog Soldiers is a way good film... Or as the director says... Its not a Werewolf movie. Its a War film, that happens to have Werewolves in it.

The comedy is black as black can be, and Ian MacKidd deserves his first starring role, with Sean Pertwee in support.

And if you liked that, you will like 28 Days Later too...
    DanG/Darth Gurden

I actually went to see Equilibrium at the cinema and I enjoyed it. i also found it a little derivative, but it had some interesting ideas in it and yes the fight scenes were delicious.

The biggest flaw I found with it was that the two main bad buys were so pathetic - and so very obviously - emotional! Brandt had a smile wider than a cheshire cat all the way through, and Dupont had more temper tantrums than a spoilt child - and no one noticed. I think Bale in a fit of rage still looked less emotional The best 'vilan' had to be Bale's son - he was far creepier

With regards to Underworld - it was passable, but the ending was just so under spectacular - after the build-up and the amazing transformation scene we ended up with.. a bad makeup wuss and yes, though the plot is different from the WhiteWolf mythos - the film just stank of 'rip off' from the get go.
    Ta Muchly

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?

Talking

I saw the very last 10-15 minutes of it one day at work. Looked very cool from what I saw of it. (Almost all fight-scenes. Particularly nice seeing more modern weapons in this sort of flick. Escape From LA had the US government heavies carrying 40 year old Belgian rifles.
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

I did see this movie. I thought it rocked!

I figured, not many others saw it. I based an Star Trek RPG-ing episode from it. Haven't had a chance to play it yet. But it's too good an idea to give up.

What would happen if humans followed the teachings of Surak? Could there be a whole colony of humans outside the Federation that follow Vulcan teachings? Since it is impossible for humans to control their emotions, drugs are required.

This is just slopping over with conflict. My PC's are going to have a tough time with this one.

We couldn't find the DVD copy at the video store near my friend. So we had to rent the VHS copy, which has atrocious stereo...

...so we skipped to all the actions scenes

Even with that, we were impressed. A movie that came under the radar and turned out to be absolutely amazing. That hasn't happened since... well, The Matrix...

although I would be jumping the gun if I said Equilibrium was at the same level as Neo and Morpheus (or will ultimately share the same level of fame)...
    Last edited by prophetsteve; 10-10-2003 at 03:41 PM.
    I love deadlines - I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by
    - The late Douglas Adams

I agree the action scenes were jaw dropping (I love that bit when he slides two spare mags halfway down the corridor floor in advance of running out of ammo).

But the story in general (whilst highly derivitive) was excellent. In my top ten of most enjoyable films of 2003.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

I worked for Section 31 and all I got was this stupid T-shirt!
    Originally posted by AslanC

SPOONIE LIVES!

DanG, BrianK help me out
    We are now up against live, hostile targets. So, if Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch! - Sgt. Harry Wells, Dog Soldiers

Oh yeah, Dog Soldiers is great.

There is no Spoon!