Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Converting LOTR to d20 (or d20 to the coda system)

Nazgul Lord, Witch king of Angmar
    Medium Undead (middle man Ftr 7, Wiz 8, Marshal 1)
    Hit Dice: 16d12 (104 hp)
    Initiative: +8 (+4 dex, +4 Improved initiative)
    Speed: 30ft (6 squares)
    AC: 21 (+1 dex, +8 masterwork full plate, +2 deflection) touch 13, flat-footed 20
    Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+15
    Attack: +2 longsword +18 melee (1d8+8) or Morgul-Knife +16 melee (1d4+5 +pain, +tip breaks off)
    Full Attack: +2longsword +18/+13/+8 melee (1d8+8) or Morgul-knife +16/+11/+6 melee (1d4+5 +pain, + tip breaks off)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Spells, frightful presence, black breath
    Special Qualities: wraith form, wraith sight, hatred of water, minor aura
    Saves: Fort +14, Ref +8, Will +16
    Abilities: Str 19, Dex 18, Con -, Int 20, Wis 19, Cha 22
    Skills: Bluff +11, Concentration +23, Diplomacy +12, Hide +12, Intimidate +15, Knowledge (Geography) +6, Knowledge (history) +6, Knowledge (Arcana) +8, Move silently +12, Ride +10, Search +12, Spellcraft +12, Spot +11, Survival +10
    Feats: Improved initiative, Iron Will, Track, Scribe scroll, Silent spell, Spell mastery x5(5), Leadership, Dodge, Mounted combat, Weapon focus (longsword), Weapon specialization (longsword) Skill focus (diplomacy)
    Environment: Any land or underground
    Organization: Unique
    Challenge Rating: 18
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Lawful Evil
    Advancement: By character class
    Level Advancement: __

Spells: 0th level: Arcane Mark, Dancing Lights, Daze, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Disrupt undead, Flare, Ghost sound, Light, Mage Hand*, Mending, open/close, prestidigitation, Ray of frost, read magic, resistance, 1st level: Burning hands, cause fear*, change self*, charm person*, comprehend languages, hold portal*, hypnotism, magic weapon*, obscuring mist*, silent image*, 2nd level: alter self, arcane lock*, charm person or animal*, fog cloud*, knock*, minor image*, produce flame*, pyrotecnics*, scare*, shatter*, 3rd level: greater magic weapon*, hold person*, lightning bolt*, major image*, nondetection*, suggestion*, 4th level: arcane eye*, fear*
    *= has spell mastery for this spell.
    Treat all of these spells as arcane spells cast by an 8th level wizard.

Wraithform (Ex): As a wraith a nazgul is invisible unless it chooses to garb itself in a cloak, crown, or other raiment. However their red eyes are still visible if the nazgul wishes them to be. When the eyes are visible the nazgul can be detected by a spot check (DC 20), but otherwise they are totally invisible. Nazguls have no need for food or water. They take half damage from all physical attacks, heal all damage at five times the rate a normal human would, and cannot be permanently destroid unless the dark lord that they serve falls himself. They also gain a touch attack that does 1d6 damage to constitution.
    Wraithsight (Ex): Nazgul do not precieve the world like normal living beings do. Rather, objects cast shadows in their minds. Sunlight, especially at noon, can weaken or destroy these shadows, making it difficult for the nazgul to “see” or function. They suffer –6 to all spot checks, and –3 to all attacks and skill or ability checks under these conditions. For this reason they move and hunt at night or when the sun is low in the sky. They can even sense blood or detect the presence of living beings (this works like a detect undead spell usable at will, only it detects living beings instead).
    Because their exhistance depends on the rings of power they have the ability to detect such rings as per detect magic, usable at will, but only shows the auras of rings of power, and not other magical items.
    Frightful presence (Ex): Anyone looking upon a Nazgul or who comes within 50 feet of one must make a Will save (DC 20+1 per every two nazgul present) or suffer the effects of panic (see DMG). Increase the DC by 3 at night or in darkness or when the wraiths are unclad and invisible.
    Black Breath (Ex): If a creature subject to a nazgul’s frightful presence rolls a critical failure on its saving-throw (a natural 1 or 2) the victim falls unconcious, unable to wake until after the nazgul departs. The victim suffers uncontrolable dread and nightmares for the next 1d6 days, durring which period they suffer –3 on all attacks and skill or ability checks. This period of lingering horror can be ended by a courage spell, or a healing check (DC 20)
    Hatred of Water: The nazgul dislike the touch of water. Except in the direst need they refuse to ford deep rivers, crossing them iinsteadby bridge or by ferry. A river or other water barrier imposes a –6 penalty to their spot checks to anything on the other side, and provides enemies on the opposite bank with effective 25% concealment. These penalties apply only when they are walking or riding upon the ground. Nazguls mounted on a flying creature that is airborne (such as their hell-hawks) can see over and cross water without penalty.
    Morgul-knife: This is a +1 dagger. Whenever it causes any damage at al to an opponent the wound causes them so much pain that they receive a –3 penalty to all attack rolls and skill or ability checks until the wound is healed. Furthermore the tip of the knife breaks off in the wound, remaining there, and working its way slowly inward. It does an additional 1d6-2 (minimum of 1) damage to the character every day until the wound has been healed, or the victim dies. A Mogul knife cannot withstand the touch of the sun. It’s blade withers into smoke and fades away if it is ever exposed to daylight.
    Bonus feats: Iron will, Improved initiative

Credit:
    Author: Matthew E. Kaiser, Based off of original material by J.R.R.Tolkien and an original interpretation of it by S.S. Long, J Rateliff, C. Moore and M. Forbeck. Converted from The Lord of The Rings RPG core rulebook.

Nazgul Template
    Description: Nazgul are beings that have been completely corrupted by one of the rings of power, to the point where their lives have been sucked away leaving them in an undead state (usually one of the nine).
    Type: Becomes Undead and gains the evil subtype
    Hit Dice: change to d12s
    Speed: as base creature
    AC: gains a +2 deflection bonus.
    Attacks: Gains a touch attack that causes 1d6 ability damage to constitution. Otherwise same as base creature.
    Damage: Gains a touch attack that causes 1d6 ability damage to constitution. Otherwise same as base creature.
    Special Attacks: gains Frightful presence, and black breath,
    Special Qualities: gains Nightvision, darkvision 60ft, Wraithform, half damage from physical attacks, wraithsight, Hatred of water, undead qualities.
    Saves: as base creature
    Abilities: Str +2, Dex +2, Con _, Int +4, Wis +6, Cha +6 As undead Nazgul have no constitution score.
    Skills: as base creature
    Feats: gains Iron will and improved initiative
    Climate/Terrain: as base creature
    Organization: as base creature
    Challenge Rating: +2
    Treasure: as base creature
    Alignment: becomes evil
    Advancement: as base creature

Wraithform (Ex): As a wraith a nazgul is invisible unless it chooses to garb itself in a cloak, crown, or other raiment. However their red eyes are still visible if the nazgul wishes them to be. When the eyes are visible the nazgul can be detected by a spot check (DC 20), but otherwise they are totally invisible. Nazguls have no need for food or water. They take half damage from all physical attacks, heal all damage at five times the rate a normal human would, and cannot be permanently destroid unless the dark lord that they serve falls himself.
    Wraithsight (Ex): Nazgul do not precieve the world like normal living beings do. Rather, objects cast shadows in their minds. Sunlight, especially at noon, can weaken or destroy these shadows, making it difficult for the nazgul to “see” or function. They suffer –6 to all spot checks, and –3 to all attacks and skill or ability checks under these conditions. For this reason they move and hunt at night or when the sun is low in the sky. They can even sense blood or detect the presence of living beings (this works like a detect undead spell usable at will, only it detects living beings instead).
    Because their exhistance depends on the rings of power they have the ability to detect such rings as per detect magic, usable at will, but only shows the auras of rings of power, and not other magical items.
    Frightful presence (Ex): Anyone looking upon a Nazgul or who comes within 50 feet of one must make a Will save (DC 20+1 per every two nazgul present) or suffer the effects of panic (see DMG). Increase the DC by 3 at night or in darkness or when the wraiths are unclad and invisible.
    Black Breath (Ex): If a creature subject to a nazgul’s frightful presence rolls a critical failure on its saving-throw (a natural 1 or 2) the victim falls unconcious, unable to wake until after the nazgul departs. The victim suffers uncontrolable dread and nightmares for the next 1d6 days, durring which period they suffer –3 on all attacks and skill or ability checks. This period of lingering horror can be ended by a courage spell, or a healing check (DC 20)
    Hatred of Water: The nazgul dislike the touch of water. Except in the direst need they refuse to ford deep rivers, crossing them iinsteadby bridge or by ferry. A river or other water barrier imposes a –6 penalty to their spot checks to anything on the other side, and provides enemies on the opposite bank with effective 25% concealment. These penalties apply only when they are walking or riding upon the ground. Nazguls mounted on a flying creature that is airborne (such as their hell-hawks) can see over and cross water without penalty.

Credit:
    Author: Matthew E. Kaiser, Based off of original material by J.R.R.Tolkien and an original interpretation of it by S.S. Long, J Rateliff, C. Moore and M. Forbeck. Converted from The Lord of The Rings RPG core rulebook.
    Last edited by ConanMK; 10-09-2003 at 09:21 AM.

Wow!

Neat stuff dude

You ever thought about trying to convert the Star Trek rules to D20?

Yes, very nice.

You note that the spells have a D&D equivalent, I would like to see your spell list comparisions.

Also, wouldn't the sor/wiz classes be "spell light" when compared to normal D&D spellcasters?

Unhappy

I'd like to see how the LotR spells stack up to the D&D spells as well.

Perhaps for a conversion to maintain its true "Tolkien flavor" of the LotR RPG you would almost have to completely re-design the spell-casting classes.

Oh ... welcome to these forums, ConanMK.

Craftsmen and Elves

Conan ... one of the neat things about the Craftsman class in the LotR game is that, even without the abilty to cast spells, they have the potential to create minor magic items just from their skill alone.

Have you considered giving the D20 Expert a class ability -- perhaps at 10th level or so -- something to duplicate that order ability?

Also .. Tolkien's Noldor, Sindar, and Sylvan elves are rather a bit different from typical D&D elves as regards racial abilities and such. How would you address such differences in conversions?

Sorry to be a pain in da butt ... but these are just curious questions that are circling my addled brain.

Answers to all the questions

No, not a pain at all, I value your thoughts and input. Lets see if I can address everyones questions with one post...

Spell equivalencies = A list of which spells are interchangeable is on the way, it will take a little while though. Some spells may have to be converted. Look for these to be edited into my first post containing my conversion notes.

Spellcasting class concerns = Yes the D&D spellcasters are a little heavy on the magic for a middle earth setting. This can be handled several ways. The easiest is by requiring Loremasters and Magicians to multiclass, alternating each level of wizard with a level of another class (fighter or rogue reccomended). Alternatively you could try to incorporate the idea that spellcasting exhausts the magic user to limit magic use. There are rules for this in the codex system, but i havent even begun trying to tackle the conversion. The final and most labor intensive option is to completely re-work the spellcasting classes.

Craftmaster = I'm aware that the codex craftmaster has abilities that go beyond the d20 Experts. The d20 expert is meant to be a non-heroic NPC class. I do reccomend adding features such as "craft wonderous item" and other item creation feats as bonus feats at various levels to make the class more powerful.

Races: Yes, the races of middle Earth are different. A Noldor elf has his/her own special abilities. Hobbits are different from D&D halflings. I plan to convert these recial statistics in the near future. I just started with monsters because thats what I'm best at, and I'm a monster nut!!!

This is all just my take on how to convert. There are a lot of subtle differences between the two systems despite their overall similarities and one person can't catch all of them. If I miss any important details feel free to point them out.

You ever thought about trying to convert the Star Trek rules to D20?
    Actually yes, but seeing as I don't own any of the Start Trek books, and am not really a star trek fan AND I don't own D20 modern or D20 Future which would all be necessary to do such a conversion well, I don't see myself doing this conversion in the forseeable future...

However asuming that the Star Trek game mechanics are virtually the same you could probably convert Star Trek to d20 using the Codex to d20 conversion notes I have posted here.

Update:

I just added the spell list to my conversion notes. Its a work in progress, but I thought I'd share what I have so far.

ME spell casters in D20 and Elves

A commendable effort, but really, w/o significant modification, the 3E d20 system stands a considerable risk of playing like Forgotten Realms with better names. Which some people may like, of course, but .. *shrug* I guess it's a question of what you're after. What are your goals with this conversion? Allowing folks to slip in ME characters and monsters into their D&D worlds? Allowing people to run authentic feeling ME games with 3E rules? Allowing people to run un-authentic ME games with 3E rules?

A straight one for one translation of statistics b/w game systems is not going to translate the 'feel' of ME, imho. And CODA has mechanics that really work to represent the heroic feel of ME (Courage points, Corruption, Renown, Weariness, penalties from damage, loose and cinematic combat rules in general, etc.).

Also, the playing style, such as sources of experience and level advancement, may require some modification, depending again on whether you're going for D&D dungeon crawling in ME or something else. The low density of settlements in ME along with a relative scarcity of monsters dungeons and magic items in ME compared to a 'typical' D&D world means that you seem most likely to either play ME as a D&D world or you play D&D as a ME game. Did that make sense? I'll try to suggest ideas on this as they occur to me.

With regard to statistical conversion though, I agree w/Camdin on the Elves (and also Dwarves, Hobbits) along with Magic, those two are the biggest ideas to adjust for in translation.

Elves should almost certainly not be able to be chosen as 1st level characters, but cost 3 levels just to buy or what have you (gradiated along the various lines of descent such as Silvan, Sindar, and Noldor). . They then should also have an appropriate number of Racial Abilities and Stat bonuses (gradiated appropriately).

Magic needs to be overhauled entirely to remain faithful to ME. The premise behind D&D magic is entirely different than ME. Magic is not really acquired through 'lore and study' (according to Tolkien) but more like a Sorceror in D&D, innately, experientially, and intuitively. One exception may be Sorcery (as in Corrupt magic). The rules in D&D for acquistition of spells, how they work, why they work, what they require to work, and the whole notion of 'memorization' have nothing to do with ME, and would need to be replaced with something that does.

There is no 'Divine' and 'Arcane' magic in ME. There's also no Clerics, the Valar are not worshipped and do not Channel power, except for the Enemy, who has established cults of worship to himself and may be able to channel some of his power to Sorcerors (ME Sorcerors, not D&D Sorcerors).

A more faithful distinction of magic in ME (in this case, a distinction of 'means' of magic) would be between 'magia' (sudden and overt uses of power i.e. Gandalf's Flame of Anor, 'Kindle Fire' w/word of command, etc.) and 'goetia' (i.e. 'Natural' and 'Artful' magic, more intuitive, subtle, circustantial power i.e. crafting magic, the Enemy's Fear abilities, magic of perception and emotion/mood, etc.)

Another distinction (primarily of intent) would be between Sorcery (Corrupt magic) and non-Sorcery.

I may have more to comment on this after I ponder it a bit, but check out the attached files for what I think are some very useful observations on ME magic.

The above commentary is under the assumpton that one large part of your aim is to faithfully recreate ME in the 3E system. If you're merely creating more D&D idea fodder for other games, all this stuff isn't nearly as important.

Cheers!

Manveru
    http://www.stewardandking.net
    Attached Files Attached Files

Some very good points their Manveru. I agree with most of your points, though I could have sworn that Tolkien wizards learned their spells. Wasn't gandalf always talking about researching ancient lore, and learning spells rather than casting them spontaneouslt like D&D sorcerors? (I make no claims to be a Tolkein expert so I may be wrong.)

As for the purposes of my own conversions, The original purpose was just so I could uses some Middle Earth monsters in my homebrew D&D campaign. That first goal I think I have accomplished, at least to my satisfaction. Then I figured, "Why not post this stuff on the web fot people trying to run d20 middle earth campaigns?" My conversion notes and the other material I post here are meant to give people trying to run a ME d20 game a framework to start from. In order to truly do Tolkien's works justice in the d20 system would require an entier sourcebook of material at the very least, including new classes, spells, rules for fatigue, corruption and courage, AND a whole new magic system similar to the one in decipher's books. I will not cover all of this, but hope to address some of the main points over time.

Thanks for the advice and the links!

Races of Middle Earth

Dwarven Racial Traits:
    - Ability Adjustments: +2 strength, +2 vitality, -2 charisma
    - Size: Medium-size
    - Dwarven base speed is 20ft.
    - Animal aversion: Dwarves suffer a –2 racial penalty to ride and animal handling skill checks
    - Craftsmanship: All dwarves must buy at least two ranks in one of the craft skills. Dwarves get a +2 racial bonus to craft (stone) craft (blacksmithing), craft (armorsmithing) and craft (weaponsmithing).
    - Firestarting: Dwarves get a +2 racial bonus to survival skill checks to get a fire started.
    - Hardness of body: Dwarves get +2 to fort saves to resist weariness. They also suffer no movement penalty for wearing heavy armor.
    - Hardness of mind: Dwarves receive a +2 to all will saves against magical charms.
    - Healthy: Dwarves get a +6 racial bonus on fortitude saves to resist disease.
    - Automatic languages: Westron (Common), and Khuzdul
    - Favored Class: Fighter

Noldor (High Elves) Racial Traits:
    - +2 Charisma, +2 Wisdom, +2 Intelligence
    - Medium size
    - Base speed 30ft
    - Automatic languages Westron (Common), Sindarian, Quenya
    - Ageless: Elves do not suggum to the effects of age as men do.
    - Noldorin Lore: Noldor gain a +2 racial bonus to all Knowledge skill checks as well as all craft (blacksmithing), craft (armorsmithing) and craft (weaponsmithing) skill checks.
    - Inner Light: Because the noldor have lived amoung the Valar they have great power agains the seen and unseen. They receive a +4 racial bonus on all saving throws and other rolls to resist the powers of evil creatures, and +4 to all skill and ability checks (such as intimidate) to oppose them. This does not include attack rolls. A Noldo born in middle earth after the Noldor returned from Valinor does not have this ability. PCs are assumed to be part of the group that returned from Valinor.
    - The Art: As elves, Noldor gain a +2 racial bonus for all skill checks to make magical spells or items.
    - Beast-Skill: As Elves Noldor gain +4 racial bonus to all ride and animal handling skill checks.
    - Comfort: As Elves, Noldor are resistant to the weather and take neither penalties to skill and ability rolls from it, nor take damage from it.
    - Elven form: As elves Noldor gain a +4 racial bonus to diplomacy checks where their fair apperances may come in handy.
    - Elven sense: Elves can detect magic and detect evil at will.
    - Elven sleep: As Elves, Noldor do not need to sleep as other races do. Instead they can recover all weariness with an hour of quiet rest.
    - Farsightedness: Low light vision, +2 racial bonus to spot checks and gain far-shot as a bonus feat.
    - Ghost-scorn: As Elves, Noldor are immune to all fear effects from the undead.
    - Lightfootedness: +4 racial bonus to run feat checks, +4 racial bonus to move silently and balance, and all attempts to track an elf or group made up solely of elves receives a –4 penalty.
    - Swift Healing: Like all Elves, Noldor heal at twice the normal rate and are immune to disease
    - Favored Class: Loremaster (Wizard)
    - Level Adjustment +2

Sindar (Grey Elves) Racial Traits:
    - +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma
    - Medium size
    - Base speed 30ft
    - Bonus Languages: Westron (Common), Sindarian and Sylvan
    - Musical Gifts: Grey elves get a +2 racial bonus to the perform skill.
    - The Art: As elves, Sindar gain a +2 racial bonus for all skill checks to make magical spells or items.
    - Beast-Skill: As Elves, Sindar gain +4 racial bonus to all ride and animal handling skill checks.
    - Comfort: As Elves, Sindar are resistant to the weather and take neither penalties to skill and ability rolls from it, nor take damage from it.
    - Elven form: As elves, Sindar gain a +4 racial bonus to diplomacy checks where their fair apperances may come in handy.
    - Elven sleep: As Elves, Sindar do not need to sleep as other races do. Instead they can recover all weariness with an hour of quiet rest.
    - Farsightedness: Low light vision, +2 racial bonus to spot checks and gain far-shot as a bonus feat.
    - Ghost-scorn: As Elves, Sindar are immune to all fear effects from the undead.
    - Lightfootedness: +4 racial bonus to run feat checks, +4 racial bonus to move silently and balance, and all attempts to track an elf or group made up solely of elves receives a –4 penalty.
    - Swift Healing: Like all Elves, Sindar heal at twice the normal rate and are immune to disease
    - Favored class: Bard
    - Level Adjustment: +2

Silvan Elves (Wood Elves, East Elves) Racial Traits:
    - +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom
    - Medium size
    - Base speed 30ft
    - Bonus Languages: Westron (Common), Sindarian and Sylvan
    - Woodsy: Silvan elves gain a +2 racial bonus to Survival.
    - The Art: As elves, Silvan elves gain a +2 racial bonus for all skill checks to make magical spells or items.
    - Beast-Skill: Silvan elves gain +4 racial bonus to all ride and animal handling skill checks.
    - Comfort: Silvan elves are resistant to the weather and take neither penalties to skill and ability rolls from it, nor take damage from it.
    - Elven form: Silvan elves gain a +4 racial bonus to diplomacy checks where their fair apperances may come in handy.
    - Elven sleep: Silvan elves do not need to sleep as other races do. Instead they can recover all weariness with an hour of quiet rest.
    - Ghost-scorn: Silvan elves are immune to all fear effects from the undead.
    - Swift Healing: Like all Elves, Sindar heal at twice the normal rate and are immune to disease
    - Favored class: Fighter or Ranger (pick one)
    - Level adjustment: +1

Hobbit (Fallohides, Harfoots and Stoors)
    - +2 Dexterity, -2 Stregnth
    - Small size
    - Base speed 20ft
    - Bonus Languages: Westron (Common) & Hobbit (a sub-dialect of westron)
    - Six Meals a Day: As Hobbits they gain a +3 racial bonus to craft (cook) skill checks.
    - Soft-Footed: +4 racial bonus to Hide and Move Silently checks. Any who try to track them receive a –2 penalty.
    - Sure at the Mark: All hobbits receive a +2 racial bonus to all ranged weapon attacks.
    - Tough as old tree roots: Hobbits receive a +3 racial bonus to all will saves.
    - Favored Class: Rogue

Man, Dunedan
    - Medium size
    - Base speed 30ft
    - Bonus Languages: Westron (common), Sindarin
    - Longevity: Dunedans live almost twice as long as most other races of men.
    - Adaptable: Men gain a bonus feat at first level (usually Great Fortitude, Combat Reflexes, or Iron will)
    - Skilled: Men gain +4 skill points at character creation.
    - Favored Class: Fighter

Man, Middle man
    - Medium size
    - Base speed 30ft
    - Bonus languages: Westron (Common)
    - Adaptable: Men gain a bonus feat at first level (usually Great Fortitude, Combat Reflexes, or Iron will)
    - Favored Class: Any

Men of Darkness a.k.a. Easterlings (Includes the Wainriders, Balchoth, Haradrim, Variags, and Dorwinidon)
    - Medium size
    - Base speed 30ft
    - Bonus Languages: Westron (common) and their own tribal dialect.
    - Alignment: Usually any non-good.
    - Association with the shadow: Easterlings have a history of following Sauron, and thus often evoke negative reactions from other races of man, but are more easily able to establish friendly relations with orcs and other agents of the shadow. Because of this they often make a poor PC choice.
    - Favored Class: Any

Wild Men (Includes the Druedain a.k.a Woses, and the Lossoth a.k.a Snowmen of Forochel)
    - Medium size
    - Base speed 30ft
    - Bonus Languages: Westron (common), and their own tribe’s language.
    - Alignment: usuallu any non-lawful
    - +2 racial bonus to survival skill
    - Adaptable: Men gain a bonus feat at first level
    - Favored Class: Barbarian
    Last edited by ConanMK; 10-14-2003 at 04:27 PM.

SPELLCASTING in MIDDLE EARTH:
    In middle eath there is no "divine magic". There is just Wizardry and Sorcey (Black magic). Spellcasters must use their spells sparingly because magic use fatigues the spellcaster. When a spell is cast, the spellcaster must roll a fortitude save (DC = 10 + spell level + 2 if fatigued, and +6 if exhausted). If the spellcaster is well rested and they fail this save then they become fatigued. If they are already fatigued then they become exhausted. If they are already exhausted then the caster takes 1d8 points of nonlethal damage per spell level. If this takes the caster to 0hp or below they fall unconcious, but are not bleeding.

MIDDLE EARTH SPELL SCHOOLS:

GENERAL WIZARDRY SCHOOL
    0th: Resistance, Detect Poison, Daze, Mage Hand, Mending, Open/Close, Arcane Mark, Detect magic, Prestigitation, Read Magic, Purify Food and Drink, Know Direction
    1st: Charm person, Message, mage Armor, Detect magic, Comprehend languages, command, alarm, Hold Portal, Shield, Detect secret doors, detect undead, True strike, Hypnotysm, Sleep, identify
    2nd: Magic weapon, silence, Knock, Wizard Lock, Detect thoughts, Shatter, Ventrioquism, Odscure object
    3rd: Greater Magic weapon, Dispel Magic, Clairaudience/Clarivoyance, Magic Vestment, Illusitory script, hold person, nondetection
    4th: Break Enchantment, Emotion, Scrying, Freedom of movement, Polymorph other, Spell immunity, Divination
    5th: Rary’s Telepathic bond, Major Creation, Tellikenesis, Break Enchantment, True seeing
    6th: Find The Path

Elemental Air
    0th: Ghost Sound
    1st: silent image, Obscuring mist
    2nd: wispering wind, Fog Cloud
    3rd: lightning bolt
    4th: Solid Fog
    5th: Control Winds
    6th:
    7th: Control Weather
    8th: Whirlwind

Beasts and birds
    0th:
    1st: Animal Friendship, Calm Animals, detect Animals or Plants, Summon natures ally 1, change self, Magic Fang, Mount
    2nd: Animal messenger, Summon natures ally 2, Hold animal
    3rd: Summon natures ally 3, Dominate Animal
    4th: Polymorph self, Summon natures ally 4, Repel vermin
    5th: Summon natures ally 5

Elemental earth
    0th:
    1st:Entangle, magic Stone, Goodberry, pass without a trace, shillagh
    2nd: Soften Earth and stone
    3rd: Stone shape,
    4th: Spike Stones
    5th: Wall of stone
    6th: Forbiddance, Stone Tell

Elemental Flame
    0th: Flare, Light, Dancing Lights
    1st: Burning Hands, Endure elements
    2nd: Pyrotecnics, produce flame, Heat Metal, fire trap
    3rd: Resist Elements
    4th: Quench, Wall of fire
    5th: fire seeds

Secret Fire
    0th: Disrupt Undead, cure minor wounds
    1st: cure light wounds, Aid, Protection from evil
    2nd: cure moderate wounds
    3rd: cure serious wounds, searing light, remove disease
    4th: Holy smite (re-named Flame of anor), cure critical wounds
    5th:
    6th: Heal
    7th: Sunbeam

Sorcery
    0th:
    1st: cause fear, Protection from Good, ray of enfeeblement
    2nd: Shatter, Blindness/Deafness, Scare, Minor image, Darkness, Desecrate
    3rd: Suggestion, Hold person, Major image, Deeper darkness, Magic circle against good, Animate dead
    4th: Charm monster, fear, Modify memory, Unholy Blight
    5th: Dominate Person, Greater Command, Shadow evocation
    6th: Mass suggestion, Greater shadow Evocation, Crate Undead
    7th: Blasphemy
    8th: Horrid Wilting, Mass charm, Binding, Create Greater Undead

Elemental Water
    0th: Ray of frost,
    1st: Obscuring Mist, chill touch
    2nd: Fog Cloud, chill metal
    3rd: Water Breathing
    4th: Rusting grasp
    5th: Control Water
    6th:
    7th: Control Weather
    Last edited by ConanMK; 10-19-2003 at 11:34 AM.

Very cool looking list.

AS a rule, since wizards have such a smaller list, how would you balance them since they don't have as many spells available to them?

Extra Skill Points? Higher HD?