Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Middle-Earth primer?

Originally posted by AslanC

Thanks everyone for the input. It is always appreciate, even the smart arsed kind
    Well, if your refering to me, I'm sorry if I came of as a smart arse. It just seemed to me that the easiest solution was already in your hands.

Originally posted by whiteknight
    Well, if your refering to me, I'm sorry if I came of as a smart arse. It just seemed to me that the easiest solution was already in your hands.
    Dude no offense meant or implied, I thought your use of a in the original post meant a tounge in check sort of deal... hence the winky.

My bad if you didn't

Originally posted by AslanC
    Dude no offense meant or implied
    Yeah, he didn't mean any offense to you whiteknight... he meant it to me!

Just joking.

Ok. I'm cool. You're cool. We're all cool then? Good.

Originally posted by ben hur
    Yeah, he didn't mean any offense to you whiteknight... he meant it to me!
    They don't call this the Tomes of the Wise for nothing

Originally posted by whiteknight
    Ok. I'm cool. You're cool. We're all cool then? Good.
    Super-Green!

My friend and I decided that the word 'cool' should be banned from all use. Otherwise, yep, I'd be really cool.

Once again you've brought up a thoroughly enjoyable thread, Aslan.

If they don't know Middle-Earth very well, then they probably haven't read the books. So, here's my suggestion:

Tell them to read The Hobbit.

Seriously, it's a great introduction to the world of Middle-Earth, and Tolkien wrote it to read to his kids (so its not that rough of a read). Bilbo goes through much of Middle-Earth in his journey, hitting several major areas (The Shire, Rivendell, the mountains, Mirkwood, the Elvenking's abode, and Lake-town). If your PC's started near any of these areas, it's a great way to give them more info.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy can be daunting for many people, and I won't even mention the 'S' book. But The Hobbit is a great way to get the uninitiated interested in Middle-Earth.

Or, if that's still too much for your players, pull out your Fellowship of the Ring DVD and hold a showing of the movie.

I would also recommend the book included with the first map set. Though it is mostly a reprint of information in the base rulebook, it is more portable, and certainly easier to copy information out of and hand out to players.

It gives a general, regional view of the world, and includes some history and cultural notes.