Thread: LOTR Collectable Mini Game!

Thumbs up LOTR Collectable Mini Game!

Just got this today, and I've got to give it a thumbs up.

The rules are reasonably intuitive, and easy enough that you can play out of the box.

The figs, while plastic, are beautiful! They seem to have been cast from the same molds as the GW metal figs, but scaled up slightly (prob. 28mm), and look very nice. The paint jobs are impeccable... you can see the eyes on all of them! Aragorn has stubble! Lurtz has the white hand painted on his head... in really exquisite detail. The Gimli is a wonder to behold! At the very least, the figs are going to be great in someone's LOTR RPG!

The starter set comes with 8 figs ( all come with Frodo, Aragorn, a Nazgul, & Lurtz, plus four commons), the rules, and a map. Boosters have 4 figs (1 rare, 1 uncommon, 2 common). There are 124 figs total. The one drawback I see in this game is that you have to use a hex map. They are coming out with map sets in January, and you can download a grid off the website, but it is still limiting.

One truly funny thing... the starter set comes with an empty base... it's frodo, wearing the ring. These guys made me happy to pay money to get a base with no fig! (The empty base does have different stats than the regular frodo... and he has special rules... so it is appropriate. But still funny.)

Tell you more after I read over the rules some more!

H.

(edited to include website addr.)
    Last edited by Hugh Casey; 10-24-2003 at 09:50 AM.
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

Cool

Saw the game just an hour ago at our local comic book shop. They are very impressive and are mounted behind clear plastic with the starter set so that you can see what you're getting. The blank Frodo piece is a cute idea, but you do get a visible Frodo as well in the Starter set.
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

...oh joy...

...more randomized collectibles...

No thanks. Much as I like LotR, when it comes to randomized collectibles it's been there, done that, ate the burger, wore the t-shirt, and sunk the bank account.

I would prefer if the figures were non-random, but even at that I have enough tchachkas on my walls.

Which means your other option is the LOTR products from Games Workshop.

* displays no emotion *
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

I checked out the LOTR clicky game at my FLGS this weekend, and was unimpressed. If I got them I'd just use them in my LOTR RPG, and I'm getting better product from the GW miniatures line, where I can pretty much pick and choose which characters I want and paint them however I desire.

So, I'll pass on the clickies. I hope it's successful, though.