Thread: Klingon Music

Klingon Music

Okay,

With the expenditure of a fair amount hard-earned cash, my CODA Klingon campaign is back on track.
    My players are all experienced gamers(with violent impulses), but none have played Klingons before.
    To help set the stage, I'm trying to identify Klingon-styled or themed music.
    Before you respond, I'm not looking for heavy metal or thrash-rock stuff, but rather the swelling, majestic orchestral pieces that would serve as a dramatic counter-point to the game play.
    Some of the LOTR stuff comes close, but not quite. Any suggestions and points in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

The soundtrack from The Thirteenth Warrior is what you may be looking for.

Also.....Conan The Barbarian
    If you have Kazaa Lite, do a search for Icewind Dale. There's some fairly good tracks there.

I'll post more as and when I think of them.
    Old Age And Treachery Will Triumph Over Youth And Skill

Track two of the "Motion Piture" sound track.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Head over to the classical section of your local music store and find a recording of Holst's The Planets. The first movement is called "Mars, the Bringer of War." Actually, you might be able to borrow a copy from your local library; it's a very famous piece of music.

Another possibility is Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. It starts slow, but develops a kind of violent, primitive rhythm. Disturbing stuff, and it caused a riot when it premiered. If you've ever seen Disney's Fantasia, that was the music for the dinosaur fight.

Also in the same movie, check out Night on Bald Mountain, which Disney depicted with wildly dancing imps and demons. (Ever think that maybe Mickey Mouse's dad was a little... twisted?)
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Music for budding Klingons...

Wagner... Most of it. Play it and watch them grin when Ride of the Valkyries is played. Wagner is good solid germanic operatic stuff. Most suitable for Klingons.

Carmina Burana... Yep, that'll do. Latin based medieval music, you will recognise it as this stuff gets plastered on anything from adverts for Old Spice to the Doors movie...

Lastly look out for the 1812 overture (Tchaikovsky) and a Night on Bare Mountain (Mussorgsky). Which add Russian Classical/Operatic to the German Classical/Operatic listed above...

Those are just some falvours, and shouyld point you in a general direction for like-sounding music that may not be quite as obvious...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

OF Course, the soundtrack to Star Trek 3

Some of the stuff from any of the Lord of the Rings Soundtracks might help too.

There's a couple of ques or tracks on Star Trek VI's soundtrack.

More suggestions: In the Hall of the Mountain King by Grieg, Lemmenkainen's Return by Sibelius, Symphonie Fantastique by Berlioz.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Great Ideas

Thanks for all the input- your suggestions will come in handy. Here's hoping the campaign works out like I'd hoped!