Thread: StarFleet Fighter concept

StarFleet Fighter concept

With most of the designs written so far, it appears that the fighters made for StarFleet are at Size 2.

What about using Size 1 fighters that are meant solely as non-warp capable vessels. This would preserve some space for other systems. There would not be a transporter (ejection pod, anybody?) for escape, but the ability to carry twice as many fighter craft on certain StarFleet vessels or to have ships that are defensive in nature (since they don't have warp, they aren't capable of projecting themselves outside of their planetary system base unless they are on a starship).

I'll post a desin made earlier this weekend, but I wanted to collect the opinions of memebrs of this forum.

Charles
    "Everything happens for a reason..."

In my version of the Valkyrie Fighter I used the cockpit as Ejection Pod.

It is totally up to you whether Starfleet is able to produce size 1 fighters or not. Every military or "science fleet "would love to have something the size of a Fiat with the firepower of a light cruiser but I believe that, without a tremendous technological breakthrough, it isn't realistic to assume that a reduction in size can go without a noticeable reduction of performance.

I would rather refine the rules concerning the consumption of storage capacity than allowing the rules to affect the game universe.

There might be a solution to all this, though. If you have seen Cease Fire you will know what I mean.

"Give me a tactical analysis of that shuttle Subcommander!"
    "It is difficult to get clear readings but the sensors are picking up 400 lifesigns, a type-H dual warp core and 250 quantum torpedoes."
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

I am not a big fan of fighter concepts; but I do have to point out that Starfleet rarelly builds anything that doesn't give people a fighting chance to survive; be it an escape pod or transporter.

It's also a very dangerous game to have a size 1 fighter craft; since it only has 5 structure points; if one hit from a reasonably powerful ship hits it it's one less asset on the battlefield (on the plus side it wouldn't have to worry about having any system above 'A' reliability )

If you have a large enough ship; it's fairly cheap to buy lots of shuttleyabys to deploy larger 'fighter' craft.

It's also fairly easy to explain away impulse only defence craft: I mean who wants to fly anywhere for long periods at low warp anyway! It's easy to imagine manned defence craft meant for planetary protection only; Such as the Mars Defence perimiter.

Maybe as a spin on the concept you could create a manned controll station; which has controll of half a dozen unmanned fighter craft; using the multivector assault mode: Absolutelly stripped down to the bone except shields engines and phasers (relying on the parent controll station for sensors etc.)
    Ta Muchly