Thread: FASA stats: Typical Borg drone NPC

FASA stats: Typical Borg drone NPC (draft)

Typical Borg Drone NPC

STR 70 END 40 DEX 30
    INT 40* CHA 01 LUC 01*
    PSI 01*

Borg has a cybernetic arm, giving it a high strength and a default club as damage.

* As long as linked to the Collective. I believe that PSI of 01 is justified as I don’t think the link to the Collective is psionically based, but on a devices implanted into the Borg’s mind.

Bare hand DMG is treated as 2D10

To Hit, HTH 30
    To Hit, Nanoprobes: 35

Skills

All (yes all) Operating/Technical/Engineering skills at 40 (as long as linked to the Collective)
    Personal Combat, Armed (Nanoprobes):40
    Personal Combat, Unarmed: 30

Personal Shield:

Has a personal deflector shield that can adapt to specific types of attack, making it impervious to that form of attack(See Adaption Roll Table below)

Assimilation Attack:

Can do a special attack when engaging in HTH combat. The Borg Drone will attempt to insert nanoprobes in an opponent in an attempt to assimilate him/her.

On it’s turn to attack, the Borg will roll on it’s To Hit, Nanoprobes skill. If successful, the Borg and the PC will roll contest of strength as the Borg will attempt to pin the PC in a grappling attack. A contest of Strength means that the Borg will roll against his STR of 70. A character will roll against his STR. The one with the highest difference wins.

i.e. A borg NPC rolls 10, a character with STR of 50 rolls 25. The borg difference is 60 (70-10). The character’s difference is 25 (50-25). In this case, 60 beats 25 and the borg wins the contest of STR. He has pinned the PC.

The PC will then roll against his DEX or Personal Combat, Unarmed less the Borg difference. In this case, a character of DEX 80 needs to roll 20 or less (80- the borg difference of 60).

If the character fails, he is assimilated. The GM takes the character sheet away from the PC until rescued by other PCs. Any secrets the PC had (command codes, the name of his first girlfriend, etc) is instantly known to the Borg. The PC’s skills and attributes will be replaced by the above skills and attributes unless the PC had a higher STR or END.

If the character won the initial contest of STR, he broke free from Borg for that round.

Adaption Shield

The Borg have a protective shield that can adapt to virtually to any frequency of energy weapons.

After an initial hit on a Borg, the GM will roll 1d10 on the following table to determine if the rest of the Borg NPCs have adapted for that particular type of energy frequency.

# of shots after initial hit Roll less than or equal

1st shot after initial hit --> Roll a 1
    2nd --> Roll less than or equal to 3
    3rd --> Roll less than or equal to 5
    4th--> Roll less than or equal to 7
    5th + --> Roll less than or equal to 9

A roll of 10 will signify always a failure to adapt.

i.e. PC John and PC Craig are firing phasers with the same frequency at a group of 5 Borg.
    PC John hits one of the Borg. This is the initial shot and does damage. The hit Borg dies.
    PC Craig fires the next shot and hits another drone. This is the first shot after PC John’s initial hit. The GM rolls a 1d10. If he rolled a 1, all other drones have adapted and PC Craig’s hit did no damage.

There is always the chance that on the 6th, 7th, 8th etc shot that the GM will not roll a 9 or less, but highly unlikely. PCs have to think of some tactics here.

Each type of energy is a different type, and the GM must roll on the above table for each of these.

Excessive heat (like a flamethrower or a plasma torch)
    Excessive cold weapon
    Electricity (like a cut power cord)
    Beam Weapon: Phaser
    Beam Weapon: Disruptor/ Sonic
    Beam Weapon: Blaster
    Beam Weapon: Laser
    Beam Weapon:Plasma
    Beam Weapon:Exotic Other (lightsaber, etc)

There is some debate about whether it can adapt to kinetic energy -bullets, knives, concussion, etc- I will assume that it cannot from what I've seen so far. It seems to be its one weakness.

Notching up beam weapon from -say- stun to disintegrate is considered the same frequency. A PC can alter 24th century beam weapons to change its frequency with each shot. In the movie First Contact, Worf mentioned that the Starfleet rifles could change to 12 frequencies.
    Last edited by byteknight; 10-29-2003 at 08:28 PM.